NCAA President thinks players should be able to go straight to NBA

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
But Fraud Bilas disagrees

[URL="[/URL]

I agree with the NCAA president. One and done is a joke anyways. Makes a joke of going to school since you really only need to stay eligible that first semester

Hopefully this whole FBI investigation adds pressure on the NBA to make the switch

For the guys that are only interested in going pro and want nothing to do with the education part of college they should be able to go straight to the league. I like the proposal that has been floated about letting guys go pro but if they enroll in college they have to stay for at least 2 years. Similar to what Baseball does. Everyone knows the 1 and done guys could care less about school since all they have to do is the bare minimum to stay eligible (and many probably don't even need to do that at a lot of the top schools).

But Fraud Bilas disagrees

[URL="[/URL]

I agree with the NCAA president. One and done is a joke anyways. Makes a joke of going to school since you really only need to stay eligible that first semester

Bilas has been harder to listen to lately. Letting them go pro right out of HS gives players more options. You'd think Bilas would like that since he is all about the players. It's like he just going to rip on the NCAA no matter what they say or do.

Also, how many would go right to the pros if this was changed? 5, maybe 10 a year at most? That's less than 1% of all freshman across D1 college basketball.

Bilas has been harder to listen to lately. Letting them go pro right out of HS gives players more options. You'd think Bilas would like that since he is all about the players. It's like he just going to rip on the NCAA no matter what they say or do.

+1. Bilas wants to have it both ways. He rips relentlessly on the NCAA because he thinks they should pay players, and then wants to force them to go to college when there is no good reason that they shouldn't be able to go pro straight from HS.

+1. Bilas wants to have it both ways. He rips relentlessly on the NCAA because he thinks they should pay players, and then wants to force them to go to college when there is no good reason that they shouldn't be able to go pro straight from HS.

That's a good way of putting it

Also, how many would go right to the pros if this was changed? 5, maybe 10 a year at most? That's less than 1% of all freshman across D1 college basketball.

How many FR go after one year? I'd say it would be roughly the same amount.

When you see the NBA draft there is very rarely a JR or SR that goes in the lottery.

I would think some of these one and out guys would need some exposure to flaunt their skills otherwise many more questions yet on them.

I feel like it would be more and not because there's many that actually have that ability to do it but because many and their families and handlers, etc. would push for them to go pro ASAP when they have no business in the league.

I think the NBA should allow players to go straight to the G-League out of high school if they don't want to bother with college. I am completely on-board with not allowing players to go straight from high school to nba rosters however. The product gets watered down when nba teams draft these high ceiling but raw players at 18,19 years old IMO. Allowing them to go to the G-League allows them to get paid and benefit from nba coaching before being thrust into playing with grown men.

I think the NBA should allow players to go straight to the G-League out of high school if they don't want to bother with college. I am completely on-board with not allowing players to go straight from high school to nba rosters however. The product gets watered down when nba teams draft these high ceiling but raw players at 18,19 years old IMO. Allowing them to go to the G-League allows them to get paid and benefit from nba coaching before being thrust into playing with grown men.

I agree with this.

The NBA should do what they believe will put the best product on the court for them and as of right now, they think that is mandating that prospects be one year removed from HS. What you deem to be fair or unfair to the kids is irrelevant and should not be considered. NBA commissioner Adam Silver actually wants to reacquire two years of college which I would be all for. The NBA rookies would be one year older, more mature and ready to contribute earlier and college basketball would get a huge boost with the best players staying another year.

The NBA should do what they believe will put the best product on the court for them and as of right now, they think that is mandating that prospects be one year removed from HS. What you deem to be fair or unfair to the kids is irrelevant and should not be considered. NBA commissioner Adam Silver actually wants to reacquire two years of college which I would be all for. The NBA rookies would be one year older, more mature and ready to contribute earlier and college basketball would get a huge boost with the best players staying another year.

It should be illegal for the NBA to block employment. Especially, if as you argue, blocking employment is only a means of protecting owners from their own bad decisions.

It should be illegal for the NBA to block employment. Especially, if as you argue, blocking employment is only a means of protecting owners from their own bad decisions.

Do you think it should be illegal to require doctors to have a medical degree and a license to practice?

Do you think it should be illegal to require doctors to have a medical degree and a license to practice?

Exactly this.

Most jobs require prior experience, certifications, etc. before being allowed to perform said duties. This is no different IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) You're confusing professional licensing (doctors, architects , engineers, etc), the goal of which is to help protect and assure the health and welfare of the public, with an occupation (basketball player) which has no such goal.

2) Thirty Owners restricting access to otherwise qualified employees should not be allowed. Yes, I know, pro leagues have, or have taken, some legal standing to restrict employment opportunity and for that matter to hold drafts. But that can and should change The NCAA, for instance, did not get a pass on this during the images and likeness trial.

1) You're confusing professional licensing (doctors, architects , engineers, etc), the goal of which is to help protect and assure the health and welfare of the public, with an occupation (basketball player) which has no such goal.

2) Thirty Owners restricting access to otherwise qualified employees should not be allowed. Yes, I know, pro leagues have, or have taken, some legal standing to restrict employment opportunity and for that matter to hold drafts. But that can and should change The NCAA, for instance, did not get a pass on this during the images and likeness trial.

I'm not confusing anything. The licensing of doctors began because doctors came together as the AMA and lobbied for regulations limiting entry into their profession. It's virtually analogous to NBA owners limiting entry into their labor force. And why on Earth should a private organization not be able to restrict membership in any way it chooses? Why are you supportive of it in some circumstances but not others?

I'm not confusing anything. The licensing of doctors began because doctors came together as the AMA and lobbied for regulations limiting entry into their profession. It's virtually analogous to NBA owners limiting entry into their labor force. And why on Earth should a private organization not be able to restrict membership in any way it chooses? Why are you supportive of it in some circumstances but not others?

Again, professional and trade licensing is provided based on the General Welfare of the public. Yes, it is restrictive, but it has a legal foundation.

NBA and NFL owners apply an age restriction independent of ability and based on no legal principle. This age restriction is purely discriminatory and capricious. If Kevin Garnett was 18 today he'd have to wait a year before entering the NBA-that's as absurd today as it was when Garnett was actually 18.

MLB and the NHL both allow an opportunities for immediate entry. It's time for the NBA and NFL to follow suit.

Absurd take.

As others have said, almost all high level professions require some previous experience, education or training. The NBA is no different.

Now, I think the one and done rule has been bad for both college ball and the NBA. But to argue that it is somehow immoral for the league to institute the rule is ridiculous.

Absurd take.

As others have said, almost all high level professions require some previous experience, education or training. The NBA is no different.

Now, I think the one and done rule has been bad for both college ball and the NBA. But to argue that it is somehow immoral for the league to institute the rule is ridiculous.

Ok. But all the rule says is players have to be out of HS for a year. It has nothing to do with talent, a certification, or a degree. Sounds like age discrimination to me.

Top Bottom