Pioneer Press: Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class nears cap on number they can sign

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

With less than two weeks left until the early signing period opens, the Gophers football program has just two vacancies in its 2018 recruiting class.

Revised NCAA rules passed in April have further capped the number of recruits Football Bowl Subdivision schools can sign each year to 25, meaning Minnesota’s 23 current pledges are bumping up against the cap.

During this recruiting cycle, the Gophers have been a national pacesetter in the amount of oral commitments received since they started rolling in last spring for first-year coach P.J. Fleck. Minnesota’s total is currently tied for third-most in the country, behind Mississippi State’s 25 and Virginia Tech’s 24.

While the NCAA has had some form of a 25-recruit cap since at least 2010, the intent of the new limit is to control programs from “over-signing” above the 85 total scholarships allotted and then “gray-shirting,” or having the incoming players wait to enroll in school and not join the team until the following spring to count toward the following year’s total. Over-signing also adds a buffer if other players can’t meet academic standards, are injured and retire or if it’s determined they won’t play in the future and leave the program.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/0...ting-class-nears-cap-on-number-they-can-sign/

Go Gophers!!

Now some of these that sign and enroll early would count towards 17? I thought you could do that and I know there was a few openings for 17 and a few of the recruits listed that were going to early enroll. Any crootin' experts know this point? I'm obviously not 100% certain. Thanks!

Now some of these that sign and enroll early would count towards 17? I thought you could do that and I know there was a few openings for 17 and a few of the recruits listed that were going to early enroll. Any crootin' experts know this point? I'm obviously not 100% certain. Thanks!

A few openings for '17? We signed 26 players that year. In '17 Michigan somehow signed 30 players, and Bama signed 29. I think in the Bama case they blue-shirted a few players, I have no idea how Michigan got to sign 30 but there's obviously a way to sign more than 25 as teams keep doing it.

What are the chances of a recruit getting their offer pulled because we recently landed someone better?

Likely at this point?

What are the chances of a recruit getting their offer pulled because we recently landed someone better?

Likely at this point?

Fleck's preached about trust and all that so I doubt it. Maybe it's a situation where someone gets talked into grayshirting but who knows. Recruiting is so fluid though that you don't know who could be looking elsewhere which could open up a scholarship or two.

Fleck's preached about trust and all that so I doubt it. Maybe it's a situation where someone gets talked into grayshirting but who knows. Recruiting is so fluid though that you don't know who could be looking elsewhere which could open up a scholarship or two.

I'm guessing there may be a few "I don't think you'll get much playing time here" conversations that'll be happening.

I'm guessing there may be a few "I don't think you'll get much playing time here" conversations that'll be happening.

I doubt it. They are really looking at two guys in Dunlap (OL) and Palmer (CB) and most of the other visitors are already on board.

If Craig Williams is interested, I wonder if there are conversations with the other two RBs...

A few openings for '17? We signed 26 players that year. In '17 Michigan somehow signed 30 players, and Bama signed 29. I think in the Bama case they blue-shirted a few players, I have no idea how Michigan got to sign 30 but there's obviously a way to sign more than 25 as teams keep doing it.

I think 3 of those 26 were back signed to 2016, which would allow 2 from last year to be used this year. So I think they could sign 27.

I don't think they need to open any up. According to the scholarship grid on TDG, they were at 81 of 85 plus have 16 opening from Seniors, plus another 7 from the departures (Jaylen Waters, Demry Croft, Everett Williams, Hunter Register, Rashad Still, Melvin Holland and Nick Connelly). That adds up to 27 available scholarships. And that's not counting the possibility of Shannon Brooks retiring (please don't be true!!!).

https://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/gopher-football-scholarship-grid

But the point is that you can't give out the full number of open scholarships (85 - current roster scholarship players) to the next class. The NCAA has made it a point of emphasis to bring down oversigning, which is a great thing in my opinion.

I wouldn't even mind if it ultimately worked out to something like this:
- max 17 high school aged players can sign per year (17 because that's 85 divided into five years)
- max number of non-high school aged players (JUCO, FBS transfers, etc.) is set by the remaining number of open spots (up to 85) when factoring in the 17 ... so the more players graduate or transfer out of the program, the more you can sign

I think 3 of those 26 were back signed to 2016, which would allow 2 from last year to be used this year. So I think they could sign 27.

I don't think they need to open any up. According to the scholarship grid on TDG, they were at 81 of 85 plus have 16 opening from Seniors, plus another 7 from the departures (Jaylen Waters, Demry Croft, Everett Williams, Hunter Register, Rashad Still, Melvin Holland and Nick Connelly). That adds up to 27 available scholarships. And that's not counting the possibility of Shannon Brooks retiring (please don't be true!!!).

https://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/gopher-football-scholarship-grid

Ok thanks Lakeville. I also thought there were a few in 17 that counted to 16. Sounds like that could happen with 18 going to 17. Either way I love that we will have an early class and the recent big croots that are interested!

I thought that I had read somewhere that they could conceivably get up to 28, I don't recall what the circumstances for that were though. Am I wrong?

I thought that I had read somewhere that they could conceivably get up to 28, I don't recall what the circumstances for that were though. Am I wrong?

I saw that too.

Oh, I forgot about the O-lineman that couldn't qualify academically. Can't remember his name now, but I think he ended up at Iowa Western CC if I remember right. That would add another to make 28, since he was never enrolled.

With that they should be able to sign 28. They (again by my count based off the TDG Grid), have 27 scholarships as of today, so that would leave them one scholarship short, depending on what happens with Brooks and assuming none of the walk-ons that got scholarships last year (or before if there are any still around) get them revoked. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone else decides to move on between now and February 7 for whatever reason (health, transfer, job, etc.).

I saw that too.

Oh, I forgot about the O-lineman that couldn't qualify academically. Can't remember his name now, but I think he ended up at Iowa Western CC if I remember right. That would add another to make 28, since he was never enrolled.

With that they should be able to sign 28. They (again by my count based off the TDG Grid), have 27 scholarships as of today, so that would leave them one scholarship short, depending on what happens with Brooks and assuming none of the walk-ons that got scholarships last year (or before if there are any still around) get them revoked. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone else decides to move on between now and February 7 for whatever reason (health, transfer, job, etc.).

Are you thinking of Eric Abojei?

Doesn't this article say that we can only sign 25? I know all about why teams used to be able to oversign, but this talks about a rule change in April. Maybe I read it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebraska maybe in last place now with eight committed players, but with an average rating of 88.26 with a lot of high level recruiting interest and Scott Frost off to a running start recruiting.

The undefeated season at UCF is a heavy recruiting advantage with high value recruits (> 0.90) showing interest.
The Gophers in the end may end up behind Nebraska and Wisconsin by the February NSD. It is better than the usual fifth or sixth place.

Fleck's 2018 recruiting class is a first step in the attempt to match the top tier B1G West opponents talent-wise.

As I believe you yourself said in another thread, Brewster got off to a running start (relatively) in recruiting, too.

Nebraska maybe in last place now with eight committed players, but with an average rating of 88.26 with a lot of high level recruiting interest and Scott Frost off to a running start recruiting.

The undefeated season at UCF is a heavy recruiting advantage with high value recruits (> 0.90) showing interest.
The Gophers in the end may end up behind Nebraska and Wisconsin by the February NSD. It is better than the usual fifth or sixth place.

Fleck's 2018 recruiting class is a first step in the attempt to match the top tier B1G West opponents talent-wise.

Based on?

Top Bottom