Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    If we're competitive with them, Nebraska will be no where near their glory days. Glory days, to them would be beating the west by 40 on a routine basis, that will not happen. This isn't the Big 8. He can have Pelini or Solich success win eight to ten games a year and have a couple special seasons a decade, but this fanbase needs to figure out their place or they'll be back to the drawing board in three to five years
    I think after having one of their own golden son's coming back, they'll realize it's not the same if and when he's not blowing out everyone by 40 points.

I would venture most of their fans would be happy winning the Big Ten West every 2nd or 3rd year. In reality though, they might win it every 4th year or so. Question then will be if that's good enough, and with their own guy, it probably will be. Especially if the west Champions are competing with and defeating the BTE.

2. Default

Frost will probably be very successful at Nebraska - and, if so, he could become another Osborne, staying for decades. But I don't think he'll succeed there with the UCF system, on offense or defense (where he was 93rd in the nation and gave up 750 yards and 48 points in the title game). Teams that pass that much generally don't have good defenses against the run (Wacker here, Callahan & Riley at Neb.) and you have to stop the run to win in the B1G. Still, the Big Red will be much improved and shake things up. If we improve, along with Purdue, the West will be formidable, with Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa hanging in there, too.

Wish as he may to return Nebraska football to Osborne like heights, it will be as much an uphill battle as we have here in Minnesota.

The Osborne California and Texas pipelines are gone, and the stunts that he was able to pull to keep players out of jail and academically eligible are gone too.

Plus the fact that the luster of the Cornhusker pedigree has had no shine since before current recruits were born... it won't be as easy to get 'em to come to Lincoln as it used to be. These kids have no idea who Johnny Rodgers, or IM Hipp was, and the thrills found on "O" Street are pretty easy to top elsewhere.

My $ 0.02
    Last edited by Vandy; 12-07-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Plains Gopher View Post
    Frost will probably be very successful at Nebraska - and, if so, he could become another Osborne, staying for decades. But I don't think he'll succeed there with the UCF system, on offense or defense (where he was 93rd in the nation and gave up 750 yards and 48 points in the title game). Teams that pass that much generally don't have good defenses against the run (Wacker here, Callahan & Riley at Neb.) and you have to stop the run to win in the B1G. Still, the Big Red will be much improved and shake things up. If we improve, along with Purdue, the West will be formidable, with Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa hanging in there, too.
    Yup, I think he'll be competitive but defense has to improve. He talked about bringing his staff with him...no need to change. The other thing UCF was like #75 in recruiting with an undefeated season and it wasn't year one. He said he wanted to stay at UCF and maybe kids didn't believe him and that was a factor but still...they were not recruiting well this year. So, definitely those two areas got get better....defense and recruiting, unless they can keep scoring 60?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Plains Gopher View Post
    I agree with you about the defense but I disagree they run a passing offense. Here are some offenses they out-rushed this year.
    Michigan
    Oklahoma
    Minnesota
    Arkansas
    Penn State
    Virginia Tech
    Michigan State
    Maryland

They were a very balanced offense in my experience watching 3’of their games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    They won national titles in 1994, 1995, and 1997. Twenty years is nothing compared to the fifty+ years drought in Minnesota.

Their fans are not as long suffering.
    You are long suffering if you have to live in Nebraska.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    The perfect stocking stuffer for any Badger fan is a gift card from Hazelden.

Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    He appeared quiet and confident. When asked how he would have to adjust his system to the B1G he responded that he hoped the B1G would have to adjust to his system.
    Now that's funny. How could Nebraska's defense get any worse? Hire Scott Frost.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Blog Entries

IMHO, his chances of winning a national title would've been much better in Florida than in Nebraska. Florida is the biggest recruiting hot bed.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Now that's funny. How could Nebraska's defense get any worse? Hire Scott Frost.
    Maybe we will have to adjust by adding extra digits to the scoreboards.
    Kingdom Warriors