Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    The schedule will likely grade out as quite poor but it will not have much influence as this is a really good team. It does influence seeding but even then your playing a pretty good team in the second round even if your a one seed. Should be noted that the NCAA is moving way further into a ken pom analysis and away from RPI. They made this known in April. Kenpom will have its best foot forward within a week when last year drops out of any of the data. The Gophers will be fine, they will have a boat load of wins. All but maybe 2 teams will go through a period where there is a bit of a struggle. Some nights shots do not fall, energy is down, defense is slow. Heck i have seen teams battle the flu for two weeks, really struggle and then get it together. The only one that has no excuse is poor defense.
    I'll believe it when I see it in regards to them moving into a more KenPom structured system, because they definitely didn't use that last year. Our OOC SOS and top 50 wins were the large reason why we were a 5 seed last year. We didn't rate as a 5 seed in any other metric other than RPI.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7633 View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it in regards to them moving into a more KenPom structured system, because they definitely didn't use that last year. Our OOC SOS and top 50 wins were the large reason why we were a 5 seed last year. We didn't rate as a 5 seed in any other metric other than RPI.
    They made the decision after last year. It is a much better measure.

3. Default

After we beat Arkansas on Saturday, will you kindly shut up about this "Gophers on the bubble" sh*t? You've written a novel since Tuesday's loss.

Please note: there is only ONE Selection Sunday on this board

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    After we beat Arkansas on Saturday, will you kindly shut up about this "Gophers on the bubble" sh*t? You've written a novel since Tuesday's loss.

Please note: there is only ONE Selection Sunday on this board
    That would no doubt be a great win. And I never suggested we were on the bubble, I'm saying it will probably take at least 12 conference wins to avoid that type of talk, especially if we lose to Arkansas. We'll have a much more clearer picture come Saturday night.

And that's fine. I've been following bracket projections for a while now, just giving my insight.

5. Default

Only one Big 10 team has EVER not made it with 11 conference wins: Ohio State a couple years back - but they had 5-6 non-conference losses.

With how bad the league has been, I think that will be the case. If we go 21-10, and go 1-1 in the B1G tournament, I don't think we'll get in. It's just frustrating because our OOC is garbage outside of 4 games. At this point I'm not sure Providence has the makings of a tournament team either, they struggled at home with Belmont and Brown(of all teams).
    Our nonconference schedule isn't that terrible. We play 4 power conference teams, none of them appear to be conference cellar dwellers, and three of them should be contenders in their conferences. The "unbiased" set of Sagaring ratings (COMBO-ELO-BLUE) that consider only results of the current season (not weighted by starting point assumptions) rates our schedule so far as #197. There are four Big Ten teams with lower rated schedules and there's not a big difference between ours and Michigan's (#189). According to those same rankings, we don't have any 300+ teams remaining on our non-conference schedule.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    Our nonconference schedule isn't that terrible. We play 4 power conference teams, none of them appear to be conference cellar dwellers, and three of them should be contenders in their conferences. The "unbiased" set of Sagaring ratings (COMBO-ELO-BLUE) that consider only results of the current season (not weighted by starting point assumptions) rates our schedule so far as #197. There are four Big Ten teams with lower rated schedules and there's not a big difference between ours and Michigan's (#189). According to those same rankings, we don't have any 300+ teams remaining on our non-conference schedule.
    Our OOC SOS projects to be 252nd in the country. That is pretty terrible IMO. And it's not surprising that other B1G teams have played/will play easier schedules. The B1G as a whole, outside Wisconsin, has played garbage schedules. The B1G only projects to have 3 teams play a top 100 OOC schedule.

8. Default

I'm unaware of what you're referencing. I'm just merely looking at their results against an average team and two bad teams, and trying to project how they'll finish. The one good thing is that they did win, despite being unimpressive, so it will have no barring on their RPI.
    It's a running joke on the football board. We defeated Rutgers 32-31 in the 2016 season, and to many/most/all of the anti-Claeys posters, that close win was the same as a loss. The point is that close wins are still wins - they count the same regardless of the margin of victory.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    It's a running joke on the football board. We defeated Rutgers 32-31 in the 2016 season, and to many/most/all of the anti-Claeys posters, that close win was the same as a loss. The point is that close wins are still wins - they count the same regardless of the margin of victory.
    Right, I get that, and can definitely appreciate it. I'm just using the line of thought that if they struggled to beat these bad teams, what are they going to look like in a conference with Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Creighton, Butler and St. John's? But maybe they are the type of team that will play down to the level of their competition and play up to the level of their competition. Hopefully that is the case, we desperately need them to be a top 75 team(which I ultimately think they will).