Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 114
  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    This is one of the more ridiculous, hyperbolic statements I've read in awhile. Wow. You think a 12-6 (or even 11-7) BT team has any chance of being left out? Let me get some of whatever you're smoking.
    If we lose to Arkansas, go 11-7 in conference and lose our first game in the B1G tournament, our RPI won't be in the top 50. If that happens and we don't beat Michigan State or Purdue, we'll have 2 or 3 top 50 wins. Our resume would look very similar to Houston's last year...who was a 2 seed in NIT. The B1G isn't much better than the Mtn. West at this point. Which is why it's critical for the league to pick up some much needed wins the rest of OOC, but I don't think it'll happen. If we lose at Arkansas we HAVE to be 12-6 in conference to feel safe, and even then nothing is guaranteed if we lose in the first round of the B1G tournament. If we go 23-9(12-6, with a B1G first round loss), we'll be an 11, possibly end up in Dayton.
    Last edited by Gophers7633; 12-06-2017 at 06:40 PM.


  2. Default

    I feel very confident in 13-14 conference wins. Tighten up the defense and all will be well.

  3. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7633 View Post
    If we lose to Arkansas, go 11-7 in conference and lose our first game in the B1G tournament, our RPI won't be in the top 50. If that happens and we don't beat Michigan State or Purdue, we'll have 2 or 3 top 50 wins. Our resume would look very similar to Houston's last year...who was a 2 seed in NIT. The B1G isn't much better than the Mtn. West at this point. Which is why it's critical for the league to pick up some much needed wins the rest of OOC, but I don't think it'll happen. If we lose at Arkansas we HAVE to be 12-6 in conference to feel safe, and even then nothing is guaranteed if we lose in the first round of the B1G tournament. If we go 23-9(12-6, with a B1G first round loss), we'll be an 11, possibly end up in Dayton.
    Back away from the ledge. A 22-9, 11-7 B1G team that has at least two decent non-conference win is not even on the bubble, let alone missing the tournament. It seems like everyone always massively over-estimates what it takes until the week before, then acts shocked at how bad the bubble teams are. The B1G has not had a great start, but let's not act like we're suddenly the Missouri Valley. Also, while the top of the conference isn't great, if Nebraska is really the worst team in the conference, that says something too.
    Last edited by howeda7; 12-06-2017 at 07:28 PM.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Back away from the ledge. A 22-8, 11-7 B1G team that has at least two decent non-conference win is not even on the bubble, let alone missing the tournament. It seems like everyone always massively over-estimates what it takes until the week before, then acts shocked at how bad the bubble teams are. The B1G has not had a great start, but let's not act like we're suddenly the Missouri Valley. Also, while the # of really good teams is small, if Nebraska is really the worst team in the conference, that says something too.
    This team will be find but last night was hard to watch. One surprise for me , beyond what has been covered in depth already, is the lack of leadership. We are going to have off shooting nights and you never know how the refs are going to call a game but I expected Mason and Murphy to pull this team together for a rally. Contrast this to the Rutgers vs MSU game where Rutgers brought the energy , passion and kept that game close until Bridges pulled his teammates together for the W. Mason played hard but I really did not see anybody willing his teammates to win.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Back away from the ledge. A 22-9, 11-7 B1G team that has at least two decent non-conference win is not even on the bubble, let alone missing the tournament. It seems like everyone always massively over-estimates what it takes until the week before, then acts shocked at how bad the bubble teams are. The B1G has not had a great start, but let's not act like we're suddenly the Missouri Valley. Also, while the top of the conference isn't great, if Nebraska is really the worst team in the conference, that says something too.
    In your scenario we'd have an RPI in the mid 40's, with an SOS of 90. I'm not sure how we'd be anything but on the bubble at that point? No the conference isn't the MVC, but it's only slightly better than the AAC this year and that conference is historically a 3/4 bid league.

  6. #81

    Default

    So we're already on bubble watch after losing one B1G game? Some of you need to get a grip.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherWeatherGuy View Post
    So we're already on bubble watch after losing one B1G game? Some of you need to get a grip.
    Just trying to project forward, not sure what's wrong with that? Obviously if we go like 16-2 in the B1G we won't be. Just trying to be as realistic as possible with the expectations and potential records and what it all means. Arkansas game is very key. B1G missed out on yet another OOC scalp with Wisconsin losing to Temple.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7633 View Post
    Just trying to project forward, not sure what's wrong with that? Obviously if we go like 16-2 in the B1G we won't be. Just trying to be as realistic as possible with the expectations and potential records and what it all means. Arkansas game is very key. B1G missed out on yet another OOC scalp with Wisconsin losing to Temple.
    It's the bubble talk that is wrong. Let's wait until the world is falling apart to speculate further.

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Just curious what makes you such a big Miles fan ? He is a incredibly nice man but his career record defines mediocre.
    He's taken teams that were bad and even terrible and turned them around into very good teams. He is also a very good recruiter imo. Not necessarily based on stars since this is the first stop where he has an ability to get higher rated recruits but he has been able to find players that are very talented at every level he has been at. He took a garbage SSU team and turned it into an elite eight team which pretty good in my book if you know anything about the team prior to his arrival in Marshall.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7633 View Post
    Just trying to project forward, not sure what's wrong with that? Obviously if we go like 16-2 in the B1G we won't be. Just trying to be as realistic as possible with the expectations and potential records and what it all means. Arkansas game is very key. B1G missed out on yet another OOC scalp with Wisconsin losing to Temple.
    Did you hear that Kansas and Florida are discontinuing their basketball programs after tonight's home losses to unranked teams?

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7633 View Post
    In your scenario we'd have an RPI in the mid 40's, with an SOS of 90. I'm not sure how we'd be anything but on the bubble at that point? No the conference isn't the MVC, but it's only slightly better than the AAC this year and that conference is historically a 3/4 bid league.
    A 22 win B1G team with an RPI in the 40's isn't on the bubble.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post
    Did you hear that Kansas and Florida are discontinuing their basketball programs after tonight's home losses to unranked teams?
    Kansas is squarely on the bubble. Bill Self may sweat his toupe off.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CentralGopher View Post
    He's taken teams that were bad and even terrible and turned them around into very good teams. He is also a very good recruiter imo. Not necessarily based on stars since this is the first stop where he has an ability to get higher rated recruits but he has been able to find players that are very talented at every level he has been at. He took a garbage SSU team and turned it into an elite eight team which pretty good in my book if you know anything about the team prior to his arrival in Marshall.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He has not taken a D1 program to even close to a good level. Conference winning % at Nebraska is very poor. He did do a wonderful job at SSU.

  14. #89

    Default

    Pitino needs to use these upcoming non-conference games to get his bench some meaningful minutes. We aren't going to win in the B1G playing 5 guys 35+ minutes. What happens in foul trouble or an injury?

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHoopsFan View Post
    It's the bubble talk that is wrong. Let's wait until the world is falling apart to speculate further.
    I'm not saying we're a bubble team, I'm just laying out the scenario's in which we could be. The B1G is extremely down this year, getting 11 wins in conference won't mean as much as it did a year ago. If we lose to Arkansas, at that point, I think it would be appropriate to start those conversations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •