House Report: Gophers lack energy, upset 78-68 in Nebraska

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers were outplayed and lacked energy in a 78-68 loss to the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Minnesota struggled within their offensive sets and played a step slow on defense the entire night. Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason combined to shoot just 9-for-28 from the floor as the Gophers were upset on the road. The Huskers are now 4-0 against the Gophers since opening Pinnacle Bank Arena.

It was a slow start to the game as both teams were just 5-for-18 from the floor. The Gophers shot just 28 percent over the first eight minutes and finished the half with a 33 percent mark. Nebraska went on a 7-0 run and led by eight points. The Huskers were often doubling down to disrupt Minnesota’s offensive flow. Their defense was forcing the Gophers to take quick and inefficient shots. Minnesota wasn’t moving the ball well and maximizing their possessions. Jordan Murphy shot just 1-for-7 from the floor before heading to the bench with two fouls. Teams are starting to play Murphy more aggressively and he has struggled to handle it. Murphy shot poorly from the floor in his last two games, but the last performance was masked by free throws. Nate Mason’s timely three-point shooting kept the Gophers in the game, but they trailed by eight at the break. Minnesota needed the guards to be more aggressive, especially with the Gophers’ foul trouble down low. The team shot just five free throws in the first half, coupled with their poor shooting effort.

The Gophers really struggled on the defensive end, too. Guard Nate Mason lost his man on numerous occasions and Minnesota’s post players were a step slow on defense. The defensive rotations were poor and the Huskers took advantage. Foul trouble also was a major problem for the Gophers throughout the game. Davonte Fitzgerald picked up three fouls late in the first half with Jordan Murphy already on the bench in foul trouble. It forced the Gophers to use Bakary Konate and Michael Hurt more, which exposed their depth. It was one of the first moments it was easy to see how much the Gophers miss sophomore Eric Curry off the bench. The unit struggled throughout the game and scored just five points. The Gophers were also outrebounded 44-41 and allowed 11 offensive boards. They were simply outplayed in every aspect of the game on both ends of the floor.

The Gophers started the second half 0-for-6 and Nebraska opened on a 7-1 run. They were driving down the lane and the big men down low weren’t rotating quick enough. Minnesota was a step slow on defense and the Huskers were capitalizing with finishes at the rim. The Gophers lacked energy on both ends of the floor and it presented the Cornhuskers with easy baskets. Nebraska’s team defense was the complete opposite of Minnesota’s and they did an excellent job of communicating, while executing their rotations. It was clear to see the entire team was in sync on defense and they did an excellent job of scheming for Minnesota’s offensive options. The Gophers weren’t rotating the basketball and settled for poor shots against the length of Nebraska’s defense. Minnesota trailed by as many as 16 points and looked lethargic throughout the night. Jordan Murphy went on a long scoring drought and the Gophers didn’t receive enough production from their bench to get back into the game. The limited contributions from Murphy and Nate Mason early in the game were a major factor in this game. Mason was taking wild threes at the end and the team had just nine assists. Murphy extended his double-double streak to ten games by notching ten points and 11 rebounds, but it wasn’t enough for the Gophers to fend off an attacking Cornhuskers team.

Minnesota will need to bounce back quickly as they travel to Arkansas for a tough SEC matchup on Saturday.

Lacked energy is about it. Pitino didn't have guys ready to play, and I thought was out-coached. Nebraska was very aggressive on defense, and the Gophers needed to take advantage of that.

They didn't really start trying until they started pressing. Maybe Coach needs to include the press a few possessions here and there to give the team a sense of urgency. They really slept walked through most of the game.

Dupree is still recovering from his weight loss

IW played well for the most part

Lack of energy? Very polite way of putting it...

Dumb game is the best I can put it. Gophs played as though they knew they could turn it on at some point, but it never came close to happening. Plus, the terrible hands on display. Murphy and company couldn't grab anything and Nebraska could.

Dumb game is the best I can put it. Gophs played as though they knew they could turn it on at some point, but it never came close to happening. Plus, the terrible hands on display. Murphy and company couldn't grab anything and Nebraska could.

I think dropping the ball is due to the lack of intensity. And great point about them thinking they could turn it "on." But they should be trying to blow teams out. Pathetic, sad.

Gophers overlook Nebraska, suffer embarrassing loss.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

One of those games where the team just seemed off from the get go. Murph and Mason had bad nights and the team got in foul trouble early which exposed the weak bench. Stinkers like this happen in college basketball. I have a feeling that when these teams meet in the Barn in early February the U will kick the crap out of them. It was just one of those nights where things just never got going.

Watching the game I kept waiting for the run to start and the team just couldn't seem to get it going until right near the end of the game. Somehow they have to get more points out of the guys on the bench on nights like this where things are not clicking for the starters.

Team should be fine going forward and hopefully gets back on track against Arkansas in a few days.

Could be worse.

#9 ND lost at home to Ball St tonight

One of those games where the team just seemed off from the get go. Murph and Mason had bad nights and the team got in foul trouble early which exposed the weak bench. Stinkers like this happen in college basketball. I have a feeling that when these teams meet in the Barn in early February the U will kick the crap out of them. It was just one of those nights where things just never got going.

Watching the game I kept waiting for the run to start and the team just couldn't seem to get it going until right near the end of the game. Somehow they have to get more points out of the guys on the bench on nights like this where things are not clicking for the starters.

Team should be fine going forward and hopefully gets back on track against Arkansas in a few days.

Nebraska wanted to win the game. The Gophers didn't.

They'll never admit, but it was obvious. The Cornhuskers were selling out on the boards and with their ball movement and with their defense. Our guys? Standing around and watching. It was a classic case of one team busting their butts to get a win and the other half-assing absolutely everything they were doing.

Nebraska wanted to win the game. The Gophers didn't.

They'll never admit, but it was obvious. The Cornhuskers were selling out on the boards and with their ball movement and with their defense. Our guys? Standing around and watching. It was a classic case of one team busting their butts to get a win and the other half-assing absolutely everything they were doing.

1000%

who said anything about cheering for ND
For the heartbreak to occur, you must first have an affinity for the team. Congrats to Ball State. David Letterman is proud.

For the heartbreak to occur, you must first have an affinity for the team. Congrats to Ball State. David Letterman is proud.

I meant, it could be worse, you could be a ND fan tonight, dealing with a home loss to BSU

The Gophers have somehow lost 5 times in a row at Nebraska. That's consistently one of the worst teams in the league and the Gophers can't take advantage of getting a road win. Does anyone remember when Mo Walker was fat under Tubby and he was getting schooled inside but Nebraska's even fatter guy? I think that started the losing streak in Nebraska. There's literally no excuse for 5 straight losses at Nebraska, it would be tough to swallow losing 5 in a row anywhere in conference play,but Nebraska? Come on.

The Gophers have somehow lost 5 times in a row at Nebraska. That's consistently one of the worst teams in the league and the Gophers can't take advantage of getting a road win. Does anyone remember when Mo Walker was fat under Tubby and he was getting schooled inside but Nebraska's even fatter guy? I think that started the losing streak in Nebraska. There's literally no excuse for 5 straight losses at Nebraska, it would be tough to swallow losing 5 in a row anywhere in conference play,but Nebraska? Come on.
I agree and unfortunately I have been in attendance for all 5 losses.

Top Bottom