***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NEBRASKA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Dude, why are you on my nutts? I'm just voicing my opinions that we were outcoached. Did I say I wanted him fired? I have no solution, I just hope he learns from this. If you don't like someone's opinion, don't read. Don't answer. You've been on my nutts even though you agree with me. I don't get it?

Nuts has two t's?

Fire him. Top 10 or bust. We're Minnesota after all. We fire 9-4 football coaches. We fire basketball coaches for losing in the round of 32. Win now or GTFO. :cool:
Its still year zero....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's about changing the momentum, not switching to it for the remainder of the game. One or two possessions would have been enough to keep them guessing. We're a good rebounding team, maybe it would have switched the rebounding momentum when it wasn't going our way.

this is a good thought. Im all for switching defenses.

Dude, why are you on my nutts? I'm just voicing my opinions that we were outcoached. Did I say I wanted him fired? I have no solution, I just hope he learns from this. If you don't like someone's opinion, don't read. Don't answer. You've been on my nutts even though you agree with me. I don't get it?
The irony of what you just said

I will never blame officiating as the result of a game, but the Gophers played largely 5 on 6 tonight. We would drive the lane, get hacked and no call, and then would get called for every touch foul on the other end. The 2nd foul on Lynch for the screen was atrocious, a complete make-up call for botching an out of bounds call on the previous possession. He never touched the guy that he apparently set an illegal screen on.

Regardless, the Gophers showed ZERO energy and intensity on the defensive end tonight. Nebraska got whatever shot it wanted at pretty much any point in the game. That's unacceptable, if you aspire to win the Big 10.

Nebraska had a solid game plan defensively, and executed it to perfection. Lynch had better figure out how to find a teammate out of a double team soon, because it will happen the rest of the season. Passing out of double teams tonight overall was terrible.

But most of all, our shot selection was horrible. Guards are trying to finish over multiple defenders at the rim on tough shots, missing and then complaining about not getting a foul call. You're not going to get a lot of calls on the road. Drive the lane and use it to find open teammates.

I would rather have this loss now than in February. Every team will drop games they should win during the Big 10 season. Move on and beat Arkansas, but you have to come out with more energy and play harder on defense. You can't win shooting 32 percent, and that's probably the best Nebraska will play all season.

Poor game for the Gophers. 36minutes of terrible defense. Not concerned though at all about competing at the top of a poor conference. Really like this team. Some fans think 9-9 and that that would get in the tourney. Wrong. this team should win 14 or more and 9-9 in the conference will not make the field.

Poor game for the Gophers. 36minutes of terrible defense. Not concerned though at all about competing at the top of a poor conference. Really like this team. Some fans think 9-9 and that that would get in the tourney. Wrong. this team should win 14 or more and 9-9 in the conference will not make the field.

14-4 leaves very little margin for error, and they just pissed away one of those losses tonight. I can't see this team only losing 3 more conference games this season, even in a down year. They pretty much need to hold serve at home to get there, and that includes a date with Sparty.

The first thing I want to talk about in this game was the officiating. I have not been this mad about officiating in a long, long time. The first 24 minutes or so (to the first media timeout in the second half) felt like a fix was in with how ridiculous the calls were. Dupree was fouled a minimum of 3 times with no call, Jordan Murphy fouled multiple times, Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, and Reggie Lynch at least once a piece. The vast majority of these would have been shooting fouls and on more than one occasion the non-calls lead to numbers going the other way. This would have been ok IF the same was being done on the other side of the court. It wasn't. The Gophers were called for multiple touch fouls on the perimeter (Hurt, Fitzgerald) rebounding fouls (Murphy) and on and on. It was legitimately comical how often the Gophers attempted shots in the paint in the first half and how rarely the whistle was blown given what was being called on the other end. I couldn't even be upset with the Gophers own poor performance at halftime because I was seething at the officiating.

With that being said, the Gophers wasted their one game margin of error for the B1G season already. If you are hoping for a B1G title, undefeated at home is now a MUST. @Maryland, @ Michigan, @ Purdue, @ Northwestern, @Penn State...probably need to go 3-2 in those road games now...and don't even think about losing @Wisconsin, @Iowa, or @Indiana...and the Wisconsin and Indiana games are certainly going to be better competition than tonight was. Most teams will have a bad loss in their conference schedule, but having it this early when the team is healthy is BRUTAL.

Defensively: Way too many f'ing open 3's given up. Terrible reactions to pick and roll which includes guys being way too willing to switch in to mis-matches and zero urgency to switch back. Several times the Gophers gave up wide open 3's and then gave up the offensive rebound as a cherry on top, that's not what got them to 11-7 last year and this type of defense is going to lead to a terribly disappointing season. Very early in the game, when the Gophers were down 5-0, they were lucky not to be down more like 12 or 14 with the open looks they were giving Nebraska. The issues on the defensive boards and defending the 3 were there against Rutgers too...very disappointing to not correct either.

Offensively: What the F' is the plan? Zero ball movement early, no real effort to get the ball to Jordan Murphy with SPACE to do something. They honestly looked like they had no clue how to score on a mediocre at best Nebraska squad. Lack of 3 point shooting continues to show up and we really need somebody to fill in that Akeem Springs role of being able to knock down some 3's in a limited role. Akeem also was a bigger guard (weight wise) and could be a positive on the defensive end, so that's a big contrast to freshman Jamir Harris who didn't play in this game. I'd love to see the Gophers use Amir more as the primary ball handler in half court sets. I actually think Amir (and at times Dupree) are better creators than Nate if we're just going basically iso ball.

I've seen enough of Bakary Konate to last a lifetime. Him getting scored on by Tshimanga and then not being able to finish that dunk was so aggravating.
Once again, we get NOTHING out of the bench as far as scoring except from Washington. How the F' did Pitino think it was a good idea to give a scholarship to a transfer that had to sit out this year? It's just f'ing unreal how little anyone outside of the top 6 contributes (top 7 if Curry was available) and I just can't believe he couldn't make that judgment last Spring. If these guys can't contribute against Nebraska, they certainly aren't going to help us against the better teams in the B1G.

The first thing I want to talk about in this game was the officiating. I have not been this mad about officiating in a long, long time. The first 24 minutes or so (to the first media timeout in the second half) felt like a fix was in with how ridiculous the calls were. Dupree was fouled a minimum of 3 times with no call, Jordan Murphy fouled multiple times, Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, and Reggie Lynch at least once a piece. The vast majority of these would have been shooting fouls and on more than one occasion the non-calls lead to numbers going the other way. This would have been ok IF the same was being done on the other side of the court. It wasn't. The Gophers were called for multiple touch fouls on the perimeter (Hurt, Fitzgerald) rebounding fouls (Murphy) and on and on. It was legitimately comical how often the Gophers attempted shots in the paint in the first half and how rarely the whistle was blown given what was being called on the other end. I couldn't even be upset with the Gophers own poor performance at halftime because I was seething at the officiating.

With that being said, the Gophers wasted their one game margin of error for the B1G season already. If you are hoping for a B1G title, undefeated at home is now a MUST. @Maryland, @ Michigan, @ Purdue, @ Northwestern, @Penn State...probably need to go 3-2 in those road games now...and don't even think about losing @Wisconsin, @Iowa, or @Indiana...and the Wisconsin and Indiana games are certainly going to be better competition than tonight was. Most teams will have a bad loss in their conference schedule, but having it this early when the team is healthy is BRUTAL.

Defensively: Way too many f'ing open 3's given up. Terrible reactions to pick and roll which includes guys being way too willing to switch in to mis-matches and zero urgency to switch back. Several times the Gophers gave up wide open 3's and then gave up the offensive rebound as a cherry on top, that's not what got them to 11-7 last year and this type of defense is going to lead to a terribly disappointing season. Very early in the game, when the Gophers were down 5-0, they were lucky not to be down more like 12 or 14 with the open looks they were giving Nebraska. The issues on the defensive boards and defending the 3 were there against Rutgers too...very disappointing to not correct either.

Offensively: What the F' is the plan? Zero ball movement early, no real effort to get the ball to Jordan Murphy with SPACE to do something. They honestly looked like they had no clue how to score on a mediocre at best Nebraska squad. Lack of 3 point shooting continues to show up and we really need somebody to fill in that Akeem Springs role of being able to knock down some 3's in a limited role. Akeem also was a bigger guard (weight wise) and could be a positive on the defensive end, so that's a big contrast to freshman Jamir Harris who didn't play in this game. I'd love to see the Gophers use Amir more as the primary ball handler in half court sets. I actually think Amir (and at times Dupree) are better creators than Nate if we're just going basically iso ball.

I've seen enough of Bakary Konate to last a lifetime. Him getting scored on by Tshimanga and then not being able to finish that dunk was so aggravating.
Once again, we get NOTHING out of the bench as far as scoring except from Washington. How the F' did Pitino think it was a good idea to give a scholarship to a transfer that had to sit out this year? It's just f'ing unreal how little anyone outside of the top 6 contributes (top 7 if Curry was available) and I just can't believe he couldn't make that judgment last Spring. If these guys can't contribute against Nebraska, they certainly aren't going to help us against the better teams in the B1G.

This is a great summary. I'm most concerned about our bench. I was holding out hope that Fitzgerald would step up, but it's pretty clear that he's not going to get much better. Basically, he needs to start making a couple of shots a game, and our front court needs to stay out of early foul trouble. If Murphy or Lynch pick up a quick two in the first half you can pretty much write the game off.

Top Bottom