Let's stop retring numbers

Halsey Hall

Reaction score
Since there is already a shortage of numbers available on a typical BIG team (two players wearing the same number), it doesn't make sense to have so many numbers retired. There should be a better way to honor out former greats like Nagurski, Bell and Giel. Another reason why I want to put an end to this practice is because Vic V should be allowed to wear number 10 (Giel's number). It's different in baseball where there are smaller rosters and no shortage of available numbers.

Well, why not add an extra digit? I think 007 is cool.

I agree. Hockey gets by with one retired number. There are better ways of honoring outstanding players. A number can develop a heritage or a lineage or some kind of age. Not disappear into the rafters.

Some of the duplicate numbers are not a result of not having enough numbers available, it is because two guys want the same number and play on opposite sides of the ball.

Aren't some of the Gopher football retired numbers already being used by active players? I dont know the school policy on that but I think they still issue some of them.

EDIT: Conor Rhoda and Everett Williams wore #15 last year.

Retired for Sandy Stephens

Aren't some of the Gopher football retired numbers already being used by active players? I dont know the school policy on that but I think they still issue some of them.

EDIT: Conner Rhoda and Everett Williams wore #15 last year.

I'm sure you were in a hurry. It is Conor.

While I do agree with you, you make it sound like we retire a number every other year with the title of the thread. I’m not sure on actual dates of the retiring of the number but Bobby Bell has to be the most recent player to have his number retire and he played nearly 40-50 years ago. It’s not like this is a recent problem for us

EDIT: Conor Rhoda and Everett Williams wore #15 last year.

If I remember correctly, I believe they retired Sandy's "jersey", not his "number" which means that his number can still be used. That would also explain why Bobby Bell's number can still be given out.

If I remember correctly, I believe they retired Sandy's "jersey", not his "number" which means that his number can still be used. That would also explain why Bobby Bell's number can still be given out.

I did not know that. thx.

I like what the Vikings do... put players in a ring of honor. I know that they retire some numbers still but it is a great way to recognize past players.

I think the only numbers retired are:

72 - Bronko Nagurski
54 - Bruce Smith
10 - Paul Giel

Other schools seem to retire more numbers than we do. I don't see this as a big problem.

A lot of schools reserve numbers for unique talents that “deserve” to wear that number. I’m thinking 45 at OSU and 98 at Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Bobby Bell’s 78 is retired too. We haven’t retired the numbers of some pretty big stars with Carl Eller, Sandy Stephens, and Darrell Thompson coming to mind. I don’t see this as a big issue for the U of M.

I think Bobby Bell’s 78 is retired too. We haven’t retired the numbers of some pretty big stars with Carl Eller, Sandy Stephens, and Darrell Thompson coming to mind. I don’t see this as a big issue for the U of M.

I think that, like Sandy Stephens, it's his "jersey" that is retired, not his number. Garrison Wright and Ben Lauer have worn #78 in recent seasons.

Garrison Wright wore 78 the past 2 years.

"...it doesn't make sense to have so many numbers retired". Oof.

Top Bottom