Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    I'm not advocating for 16 team playoff. You are. In my playoff LSU wouldn't be close to making it.

I'd mandate it for both sides. P5s have to play at least one G5 and G5s have to play at least one P5. Will you be able to get the exact one you want? Probably not. But you gotta find a dance partner.
    NCAA doesn’t have the power to mandate non conference scheduling nor would any conference agree to it. Either you’d be mandating P5s to play home and homes with lower conferences or you’d be mandating g5 teams to play road games with no return games.

Both of these ideas are acceptable if the individual institution makes the decision. They would never let it be a mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    NCAA doesn’t have the power to mandate non conference scheduling nor would any conference agree to it. Either you’d be mandating P5s to play home and homes with lower conferences or you’d be mandating g5 teams to play road games with no return games.

Both of these ideas are acceptable if the individual institution makes the decision. They would never let it be a mandate.
    The NCAA doesn't control the playoff so they wouldn't need to mandate anything. The CFP is the governing body in control. The members of the CFP are the ten conferences and Notre Dame. They can mandate it. I don't know how their voting system works, but I guarantee you that all 5 of the Group of 5 would vote for it and they'd only need one more vote for a majority. You are much more likely to get a majority on that than you would a proposal to give each G5 conference a spot in a playoff.

They wouldn't really even need to mandate it, because pretty much every P5 team already plays at least one G5. I'm not going to spend the time looking it up, but I bet at least 95% of P5 teams already play at least one G5 team.

The tougher one would be mandating that P5 teams play at least ten games against other P5 teams. Get that done and we're a little closer to balanced schedules which makes picking teams for the postseason easier.

The NCAA doesn't control the playoff so they wouldn't need to mandate anything. The CFP is the governing body in control. The members of the CFP are the ten conferences and Notre Dame. They can mandate it. I don't know how their voting system works, but I guarantee you that all 5 of the Group of 5 would vote for it and they'd only need one more vote for a majority. You are much more likely to get a majority on that than you would a proposal to give each G5 conference a spot in a playoff.

They wouldn't really even need to mandate it, because pretty much every P5 team already plays at least one G5. I'm not going to spend the time looking it up, but I bet at least 95% of P5 teams already play at least one G5 team.

The tougher one would be mandating that P5 teams play at least ten games against other P5 teams. Get that done and we're a little closer to balanced schedules which makes picking teams for the postseason easier.
    If you think they are one vote away from mandating centralized control of scheduling requirements for all FBS football you’ve just outed yourself as having no knowledge at all

If you think they are one vote away from mandating centralized control of scheduling requirements for all FBS football you’ve just outed yourself as having no knowledge at all
    Coming from the guy who wants all G5 champs in the playoff I'll take that as a compliment.

BTW The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 already mandate scheduling a P5 in nonconf. Big Ten already mandates a P5 and no FCS. They aren't making anyone cancel games that are already scheduled so it may take a few years for people to notice.

https://www.foxsports.com/south/stor...or-2016-042714

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...2016/30938987/

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai...es/Big-12.aspx

https://www.si.com/college-football/...nference-games
    Last edited by bizzle22; 12-08-2017 at 12:17 AM.

There are some very interesting ideas posted here. My ideal playoff would be 8 teams consisting of each of the Power 5 conference champions, plus the 3 best non-conference champions from the FBS. Independents would not get an automatic bid. How to select the remaining three teams is just as much a sticking point as it is now because it seems anytime humans are involved it turns into a combination of a money grab and personality contest. Maybe the fairest way would be to give three votes to each conference commissioner and annually rotate 3 votes to one of the independent schools' AD, with the stipulation they can only vote for one school in their conference, or group of independents. The voters won't meet or discuss, just use their knowledge, the different polls and any information available to them. Then the three schools with the most votes would be in the playoffs. If there happened to be a tie vote for the last spot, flip a coin or something. Also, make the votes public to help prevent any collusion.

There is certainly enough time for a 3 round playoff. Begin two weeks after the conference championships, and the playoff championship game can be when it is now. Maybe have the first round at the home field of the 4 highest ranked teams, and then play the last two rounds on a neutral field.

6. Default

If five P champs get auto bids, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see TV demand that the remaining three be all at-large. They want the highest ratings, and that’s all they care about.

Also zero chance that Notre Dame won’t continue to receive special treatment ... the Big Ten and SEC have an extremely vested interest in preventing ND from fully joining the ACC in football. That’s why both voted against the ACC plan to deregulate the championship games last year ... as that would’ve also made it easier for ND to join fully in football.

Quote Originally Posted by WAGopher View Post
    There are some very interesting ideas posted here. My ideal playoff would be 8 teams consisting of each of the Power 5 conference champions, plus the 3 best non-conference champions from the FBS. Independents would not get an automatic bid. How to select the remaining three teams is just as much a sticking point as it is now because it seems anytime humans are involved it turns into a combination of a money grab and personality contest. Maybe the fairest way would be to give three votes to each conference commissioner and annually rotate 3 votes to one of the independent schools' AD, with the stipulation they can only vote for one school in their conference, or group of independents. The voters won't meet or discuss, just use their knowledge, the different polls and any information available to them. Then the three schools with the most votes would be in the playoffs. If there happened to be a tie vote for the last spot, flip a coin or something. Also, make the votes public to help prevent any collusion.

There is certainly enough time for a 3 round playoff. Begin two weeks after the conference championships, and the playoff championship game can be when it is now. Maybe have the first round at the home field of the 4 highest ranked teams, and then play the last two rounds on a neutral field.
    I think having the ADs throw footballs into a giant Dr. Pepper can would probably be more fair, equitable, and entertaining.
    Character assassinator

Coming from the guy who wants all G5 champs in the playoff I'll take that as a compliment.

BTW The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 already mandate scheduling a P5 in nonconf. Big Ten already mandates a P5 and no FCS. They aren't making anyone cancel games that are already scheduled so it may take a few years for people to notice.

https://www.foxsports.com/south/stor...or-2016-042714

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...2016/30938987/

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai...es/Big-12.aspx

https://www.si.com/college-football/...nference-games
    Yeah I literally already said conferences and institutions could do it but that a CFP or NCAA couldn’t because the conferences wouldn’t want to lose their own power in regards to scheduling. So in your own argument against me you just proved my point by talking about how conferences are doing it individually

9. Default

- 8 team playoff with each P5 conference champion (to be determined by the conference not by an external committee) plus 3 other teams (to be selected by a committee). The "3 other teams" cannot be a member of any of the P5 conferences.
    - If this means there's too many games then we should reduce the regular season schedule to 11 games, with a 12th game added at the end of the season for every team. The top 8 go to the playoffs, the rest of the teams are all paired off into a final game for the season. Half of these teams get selected using the current bowl system, the other half get assigned based on records with the intent that each team plays a team from another conference. So yes, you could have two 0-11 teams facing off against each other. This gets every team 12 games, with the top 2 teams in the county playing 14 games.

Yeah I literally already said conferences and institutions could do it but that a CFP or NCAA couldn’t because the conferences wouldn’t want to lose their own power in regards to scheduling. So in your own argument against me you just proved my point by talking about how conferences are doing it individually
    Let me quote you:

"NCAA doesn’t have the power to mandate non conference scheduling nor would any conference agree to it."

You said no conference would agree to it. Your words. Four conferences already agreed amongst themselves to schedule at least one P5. One of them (B1G) also doesn't allow teams to schedule FCS schools, which means all nonconf opponents have to be either G5 or P5 which is actually even more stringent than I suggested.

"Both of these ideas are acceptable if the individual institution makes the decision. They would never let it be a mandate."

You said institutions would never let it be a mandate. Your words. And yet the institutions of four conferences have voted yes on mandating nonconference schedules.

Big Ten already mandates [scheduling] a P5 and no FCS.
    Since a rule change last summer, a B1G team can now schedule an FCS team for a home game whenever that team has only 4 conference home games that year. I'm guessing the rule changed happened when it was hard to find an FBS team to play during the traditional conference season. Read more at:
    https://www.hammerandrails.com/footb...-schools-again

Quote Originally Posted by WAGopher View Post
    Since a rule change last summer, a B1G team can now schedule an FCS team for a home game whenever that team has only 4 conference home games that year. I'm guessing the rule changed happened when it was hard to find an FBS team to play during the traditional conference season. Read more at:
    https://www.hammerandrails.com/footb...-schools-again
    Ahhh, wasn't aware of that little quirk. Makes some sense. As long as they don't get rid of the P5 requirement that's fine with me. Nine conference games, one P5, one G5, and one FCS is good enough.

13. Default

Ahhh, wasn't aware of that little quirk. Makes some sense. As long as they don't get rid of the P5 requirement that's fine with me. Nine conference games, one P5, one G5, and one FCS is good enough.
    10 P5 games should be the gold standard, across P5 confs. Regardless if that's 10/0, 9/1, or 8/2 conf/non-conf games.

14. Default

Pretty healthy arguments here against the eight team playoff happening any time soon:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-anytime-soon/

Let me quote you:

"NCAA doesn’t have the power to mandate non conference scheduling nor would any conference agree to it."

You said no conference would agree to it. Your words. Four conferences already agreed amongst themselves to schedule at least one P5. One of them (B1G) also doesn't allow teams to schedule FCS schools, which means all nonconf opponents have to be either G5 or P5 which is actually even more stringent than I suggested.

"Both of these ideas are acceptable if the individual institution makes the decision. They would never let it be a mandate."

You said institutions would never let it be a mandate. Your words. And yet the institutions of four conferences have voted yes on mandating nonconference schedules.
    I said no conference would agree to letting NCAA or CFP committee mandate it. Because it would be giving too much power away.