Destinee Oberg 2019

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
Committed to Arkansas.

gotta admit was surprised to this be her school. I know she had a gophers offer along with Michigan, Michigan St and Purdue.

Mike Neighbors apparently wasted no time after arriving from Washington.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/dec/05/mike-neighbors-lands-minnesota-post-prospect/

One of the top junior post players in the nation has committed to Arkansas women's basketball Coach Mike Neighbors.

Center Destinee Oberg, 6-2, of Burnsville (Minn.) Academy Of Holy Angels chose the Razorbacks over scholarship offers from Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, Washington and others. Her mother, Susie, said Neighbors recruited her daughter while at Washington.

"She really, really liked him," Susie said. "He’s such a great person and coach, so when he moved to Arkansas it was kind of a no-brainer. Destinee is an introvert. She’s kind of a quite shy kid. She’s big, but she’s real quiet, and he understands that personality and lets her be her, and I think that’s important...

..."She got her first offer as an eighth-grader from the University of Minnesota," Susie said.

Seen her a few times over the last couple of years. Nice player, but I'm not crying over this loss. I actually saw her Tuesday night against an OK Bloomington Kennedy team with no real legitimate post players of her stature or even near her ability - Kennedy's top three scorers are all guards. Wasn't all that impressed in the context of projecting her at a P5 school level. I hate to bring this up, but she has put on even more weight from last year, and she doesn't look as mobile as she did as a freshman for example. Good footwork, but she struggled to finish at times. Scored 18 points, but a bunch came from the line. Certainly the best player on the floor, but in terms of losing her to Pig Suey I was like "meh."

From what I have seen, she would not have been a good fit in Stollings running game. More of a half court player

Personally, I agree with Josh087. While a solid player, not one that I feel is make or break it. I like to see that gophers were her first offer and on her early as not being on players early has bit the program on the ass with the previous coaching staff. Secondly, it also takes some of the sting out that its not going to another big ten team. One of the things that hurt as a fan was not only the players not choosing the gophers but choosing Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern or one of the two Michigans and then coming back and reminding us once or twice a year what we missed out on. Players like Dahlman going to Vanderbilt and Oberg going to Arkansas I can live with much more than a local kid staying pretty much local in the big ten but not with the gophers.

You are so right. Oberg has no motor. Zero. None. Such a shame because her size and natural ability are amazing but the effort is terrible. After 20+ viewings I still don't see how she will be successful at the highest level.

Top Bottom