Gophers Ed Warinner listed as a possible HC candidate at Kent State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Alliance Review:

Ed Warinner — Warinner just wrapped up his first season as the offensive line coach and run game coordinator at the University of Minnesota, which finished 5-7 under first-year head coach P.J. Fleck. He spent the previous five seasons at Ohio State under Urban Meyer.

Warinner was the Buckeyes’ co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach during his first three seasons, then served as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 2015 before spending his final year in Columbus as the offensive coordinator and tight ends coach.

Warinner has served as an assistant coach at the college level since 1984. He is a native of Ohio (Strasburg) who played football and baseball at Mount Union. His parents still live in Dover, and he has recruited the state extensively for decades. Warinner has made it known in the past that’s he interested in becoming a head coach.

Warinner’s expertise on the offensive side of the ball would seem to match the needs of a Flashes program that’s been among the worst in the nation offensively the past four years.

http://www.the-review.com/sports/20171204/names-surface-in-search-for-new-kent-state-football-coach

Go Gophers!!

Nope, I don't approve. He's staying home. Too much left to accomplish here and he's a committed guy so leave him alone.

I can't remember where I saw this. Shoot it might have been on Gopherhole. Bob Nielson was linked as a possible target for the Kent State job according to some website I cant remember where. :cool02:

It would be a kinda bizarre hire, although beggars can't be choosers. Warinner has proven himself an excellent offensive line coach, and not much beyond that. OSU fans were not happy, to put it mildly, with his performance as offensive coordinator, but very happy with his o-line ability.

I hope he stays here.

Open the check book and keep Warinner. Get his kind of OL signed on the line and enrolled.

Duluth station: "Source: Former UMD football coach Nielson expected to accept job at Kent State"

DULUTH, MN -
Former University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) football coach Bob Nielson is expected to officially accept a job at Division I Kent State, a source with knowledge of the situation told KBJR6 Sports on Monday.

Nielson, who just finished his second season at South Dakota, has not publicly commented on any potential offer or interest in the Kent State job.

After 10 seasons across two separate stints at UMD, which included NCAA Division II championships in 2008 and 2010, Nielson left UMD following the 2012 season to take a job with Western Illinois.

He was (100-26) overall with the Bulldogs, which included two (15-0) seasons and five Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) regular season championships.

His .793 winning percentage is still the best in program history.

The source said the deal hasn't been formally completed, but that step is expected sometime this week.

http://www.kbjr6.com/story/36992758...dium=social&utm_source=twitter_zschneiderKBJR

Note to PJ Fleck, Mark Coyle, and Eric Kaler: Ante up and pay the assisstant coaches so they stay and help stabilize Gopher Football.

Open the check book and keep Warinner. Get his kind of OL signed on the line and enrolled.

Absolutely!!!!

With Dunlap coming this weekend we really need him here. I don't judge him on this year's line since we only had 4 lineman during the spring. We should have at least 13 this spring and things will only get better. I really like Ed and want him here.

I would think Ed would have maybe gone down to be a HC if he had already wanted to be one. Plenty of teams who might hire a guy like that out there. If he hasn't already done it then I'm not sure he wants to go that route, yet.

Good for Neilson. He has won at the DII and FCS levels. Glad someone is giving him a chance to try his way of doing things at a higher level.

Bob Nielson isn't going anywhere, folks. 'There is absolutely no truth to any of these rumors regarding me and Kent State. I am not pursuing the job. I am the head coach at South Dakota and plan to be for the future.

I just read this on another site quote from Nielson.

Warinner is critically important to our continuity. We do need him here. Almost as bad, now is not the time for the Gophers to have speculation on losing coaches. We need all coaches intact 100% at least until we get this class signed.

Say what you want about Kill, but one thing he brought was continuity of staff. Brewster, on the other hand, represented a coaching carousel of people looking for greener pastures...and let's face it...there are greener pastures than UMN.
It would be nice to see PJ keep his staff and not be replacing every year. He needs to make the pasture green for his staff.

Bob Nielson isn't going anywhere, folks. 'There is absolutely no truth to any of these rumors regarding me and Kent State. I am not pursuing the job. I am the head coach at South Dakota and plan to be for the future.

I just read this on another site quote from Nielson.

Translation: "I didn't get it."

Say what you want about Kill, but one thing he brought was continuity of staff. Brewster, on the other hand, represented a coaching carousel of people looking for greener pastures...and let's face it...there are greener pastures than UMN.
It would be nice to see PJ keep his staff and not be replacing every year. He needs to make the pasture green for his staff.

Or, Brew had assistants that were viewed as attractive candidates by other programs, and Kill did not. Not saying that is the way it was, just being devil's advocate.

Since Limegrover landed at Penn State and Jay Sawvel landed at Wake Forest, I think that position is moot.

He was replying to this comment

I know. Me too. P.J. was an assistant coach under Kill at Northern Illinois. Maybe you weren't aware of that? The "Wild man with a keyboard" apparently doesn't think that Fleck was an "attractive candidate" to other programs.

He would be wrong.

P.J. Fleck coached at WMU and then Minnesota.
Good for PJ. What does that have to do with the discussion around keeping your staff together to have continuity? Changing coaches is not optimal. I am hoping our offensive line coach remains here at UMN.

I know. Me too. P.J. was an assistant coach under Kill at Northern Illinois. Maybe you weren't aware of that? The "Wild man with a keyboard" apparently doesn't think that Fleck was an "attractive candidate" to other programs.

He would be wrong.
I have no idea what you are talking about...please continue...

I have no idea what you are talking about...please continue...

Too deep for you? Missed the "Wild man with a keyboard part"?

I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with this:

"Or, Brew had assistants that were viewed as attractive candidates by other programs, and Kill did not. Not saying that is the way it was, just being devil's advocate."

What was so phucking hard to understand about that? :rolleyes:

Too deep for you?

"Or, Brew had assistants that were viewed as attractive candidates by other programs, and Kill did not. Not saying that is the way it was, just being devil's advocate."

You guys are on the same side, stop fighting!

Too deep for you? Missed the "Wild man with a keyboard part"?

Thanks for clarifying. I blame myself for not quoting UU in my response back to him.

Top Bottom