Gophers Ed Warinner listed as a possible HC candidate at Kent State

And I blame myself for sticking my nose into the
I was trying to help and I made it worse. Sorry!

Getting back to the title of this column. Some how PJ needs to find more dollars. I see the S and C coach at Iowa makes twice what Ed is making. Looks to me like the Gopher assistants are low to very low on corresponding assistant pay, regardless what PJ says.(U.S. Today had all the football assistant pay)

Like I said, pay them $$$$$$$. You want a stable group of coaches.

Getting back to the title of this column. Some how PJ needs to find more dollars. I see the S and C coach at Iowa makes twice what Ed is making. Looks to me like the Gopher assistants are low to very low on corresponding assistant pay, regardless what PJ says.(U.S. Today had all the football assistant pay)

How is the pay between the S&C coach at Iowa and the OL coach at Minnesota in any way a meaningful comparison? Perhaps next you want to compare the salaries of the QB coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars and the student manager for Augsburg.

How is the pay between the S&C coach at Iowa and the OL coach at Minnesota in any way a meaningful comparison? Perhaps next you want to compare the salaries of the QB coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars and the student manager for Augsburg.

What? Let' see a B1G coach and a B1G coach comparison and...I must still be asleep.

What? Let' see a B1G coach and a B1G coach comparison and...I must still be asleep.

Kirk Ferentz gets paid way more than Matt Simon. Totally unfair! They're both Big Ten coaches, after all.

Kirk Ferentz gets paid way more than Matt Simon. Totally unfair! They're both Big Ten coaches, after all.

I think he is saying it is strange that a S&C coach is being paid more than a position coach in the same conference. I don't know, I assume position coaches typically make more than S&C coaches on a given team.

I think he is saying it is strange that a S&C coach is being paid more than a position coach in the same conference. I don't know, I assume position coaches typically make more than S&C coaches on a given team.

But they've also been there a lot longer.

If that is the point he is attempting to make (a bizarre one, at best), it is a meaningless statement. Chris Doyle makes $600,000, more than every single position coach in the Big Ten, and I believe every single position coach in the country. So why pick a random thread about Ed Warinner to bring up this trivial and completely unrelated fact?

If he wanted to compare apples to apples, he could bring up the facts that Iowa's OL coach (Tim Polasek) makes $335,000, less than Ed Warinner's $375,000. But that doesn't fit his agenda, so he insanely points out the salary of Iowa's S&C coach as if that has anything at all to do with the price of rice in China.

If that is the point he is attempting to make (a bizarre one, at best), it is a meaningless statement. Chris Doyle makes $600,000, more than every single position coach in the Big Ten, and I believe every single position coach in the country. So why pick a random thread about Ed Warinner to bring up this trivial and completely unrelated fact?

If he wanted to compare apples to apples, he could bring up the facts that Iowa's OL coach (Tim Polasek) makes $335,000, less than Ed Warinner's $375,000. But that doesn't fit his agenda, so he insanely points out the salary of Iowa's S&C coach as if that has anything at all to do with the price of rice in China.

RICE PRICE COMMODITY
12.17 USD -0.03 (-0.25%) 11:50:00 AM EST

Do we really want to compare any of our coaches to Chris Doyle? First of all, he put 13 kids in the hospital with Rhabdo. Then instead of firing him, Ferentz made up an award and gave it to him after the next season.

And just for fun, Doyle made just as much as Brian Ferentz and $50k less than Phil Parker last year. He's not just a S&C coach. He's got to know where the bodies are buried or something.

I don't know if the U of MN coaches are paid adequately or not, but if Ed Warinner is offered a Head Coaching position and that's what he wants to do, he's not going to stay because the U gave him a couple hundred grand pay bump.

Now, I agree on that the U should be paying their assistants well enough that an equivalent position elsewhere isn't tempting, but if these guys want to take the next step (whether that be from position coach to coordinator or coordinator to head coach) that is a different story. Frankly, going forward if the U is doing so well that their coaches are that attractive it'll be a good problem to have.

I don't think we're going to have to worry much about this in the next few years. Most teams don't lose tons of coaches to other teams. Usually it's the elite teams. Even then, all the OC turnover at Alabama doesn't seem to have left that program any worse.

Keep in mind, even in the Brewster years, a lot of the coordinator and assistant movement was driven by him. For example, I've heard from multiple sources that Brew told Roof to look elsewhere and Roof got lucky enough to find a better position. Not to mention a lot of his assistants thought he was a clown after they started working here and didn't want to work for him.

$600,000??!!! That's ridiculous.

He gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Being a very good liar seems to be a highly underrated skill to advance in the coaching profession.
I hope he ain't lying.

What benefit would come from dropping down to Kent State? Warinner already dropped when he went from ohio to UMN. It seems like a poor choice to drop out of a P5 school to coach a bad MAC program. If he's going to move, I would expect a lateral or upward move at a P5 school.

What benefit would come from dropping down to Kent State? Warinner already dropped when he went from ohio to UMN. It seems like a poor choice to drop out of a P5 school to coach a bad MAC program. If he's going to move, I would expect a lateral or upward move at a P5 school.

You really don't think that position coach in the Big Ten is an upgrade from head coach at a MAC school, do you? Stop trolling.

I don't think it's very common for a position coach to become a head coach...that's number one. If they do become a head coach, I think it's pretty likely they have to drop down at least one level to become a head coach.

Like PJ, you believe in your abilities...you demonstrate you can be a successful head coach at the lower level and now you have a resume to be considered for jobs as a P5 head coach. Nobody is offering him a P5 head coaching position as a line coach at Minnesota, unless we get to the Final Four at minimum and then we probably gotta win it it all for that to be a possibility.

You really don't think that position coach in the Big Ten is an upgrade from head coach at a MAC school, do you? Stop trolling.
What?
I think that coaching in a P5 school as an admired position coach is preferable to a head coaching job at Kent State. Yes, I think that.
Second, I can troll as much as I wish. Looks like I caught me a flounder! [emoji41]

I don't think it's very common for a position coach to become a head coach...that's number one. If they do become a head coach, I think it's pretty likely they have to drop down at least one level to become a head coach.

Like PJ, you believe in your abilities...you demonstrate you can be a successful head coach at the lower level and now you have a resume to be considered for jobs as a P5 head coach. Nobody is offering him a P5 head coaching position as a line coach at Minnesota, unless we get to the Final Four at minimum and then we probably gotta win it it all for that to be a possibility.
Sure, but he may move up to offensive coordinator at a P5 school and then to a head coaching job. This seems like a better progression than dropping down to Kent State.

I think he meant Ohio State, not Ohio the MAC team.

I think it isn't common for a P5 position coach to go directly into a P5 head coach spot. It does happen though ... *cough*Brewster*cough*

The more usual path would be to go from position coach to coordinator to head coach. OR, to go form P5 position coach to head coach at a G5 or FCS team. Urban Meyer with from P5 wide receivers coach to head coach of Bowling Green in the MAC, as an example.

In looking at his gophersports.com bio, it is pretty incredible to see how much coaching experience Warinner has. He played quarterback and running back at Mount Union. Not sure how he got into coaching the OL, but he has been offensive coordinator/QB coach before (which is my preference, especially if the coach has QB playing experience in college). He was at Kansas during their incredible run in the mid 2000's.

He has seemingly done it all, on the offensive side of the game, as a coach.

And he's not exactly a spring chicken. If he does want to give head coaching a shot, it's probably now (or very soon) or never.

Top Bottom