Kill puts QBs in the NFL

Mitch has everything an NFL QB needs, except the most important thing, arm talent.

He's like a poor man's Tim Tebow.

I'm hoping he can find a team somewhere.

Mitch has everything an NFL QB needs, except the most important thing, arm talent.

I think Mitch might have the arm talent...it just was never consistent. Central Michigan bowl game... Mitch was 24 for 30 with drops. He looked like a totally different guy. Guessing that's the tape he got projected as a possible first round pick.

Nelson finished the year with Winnipeg of the CFL. I guess Kill was running QB U.

I always thought Leidner's problems were twofold: (1) inconsistent footwork, and (2) inability to make quick reads. I think his arm, while not overwhelmingly strong, is good enough.

I always thought Leidner's problems were twofold: (1) inconsistent footwork, and (2) inability to make quick reads. I think his arm, while not overwhelmingly strong, is good enough.

Leidner is a great 7 on 7 quarterback. IMO his biggest issue is he lacks poise in the pocket. Rarely can take advantage of his great arm because he freaks out and throws to the wrong place

Maybe even a bigger problem was he played hurt way more often than they told us over the last two seasons. "Courageous, strong, great leadership" etc. All also apply to a guy who insists on playing hurt.

I wish Leidner the best. Chase your dream. I know a guy who spent a number of years playing minor-league baseball. Just wanted a shot in the majors - got as high as Triple-A, but never made the majors during the regular season. he did get to pitch in a couple of spring training games, and pitched against A-Rod.

So, if Leidner wants to chase the dream of playing in the NFL, more power to him. For anyone ripping on Leidner, what do you tell your own kids? "Don't chase your dreams. Always believe other people when they tell you you're not good enough."

I think Mitch might have the arm talent...it just was never consistent. Central Michigan bowl game... Mitch was 24 for 30 with drops. He looked like a totally different guy. Guessing that's the tape he got projected as a possible first round pick.

Consistency is the difference between all QBs.....

Mitch ran hot and cold. But he looked very good in his brief stint for the Vikings. All good wishes to him.

Having watched every Broncos game this year...Mitch is a lateral move at worst. Elway could come out of the booth right now and do better, at least until the first big hit.

I hope he makes it.

Minnesota kid that is getting a chance and Mitch never said a bad word about the Minnesota Gophers. He always had the arm talent, it was always his footwork and clock in his head that messed him up. If he can make a habit of finishing on the correct foot and getting rid of the ball on time he will have a chance. He get's with the right QB coach he has a shot to make a roster. He always had ability, Rich Gannon did not waste time on him, and would not have spent time on him if he didn't think he could play. Best of luck to Mitch Leidner, I hope you catch on and keep chasing your dreams of playing NFL football. Would be awesome if he could make it. In the NFL he should not have to worry about the Oline as much as when he was in college.

Didn't Garnish and Lynch make NFL rosters?

Harnish spent a few seasons in the NFL and was on the Colts' 53-man roster his rookie season. The rest of his career was spent on practice squads (Colts, Vikings, and Cardinals). He was a really good college QB and I was surprised he didn't stick longer.

Lynch went to the Bears' training camp as a running back after not being drafted, but didn't make the team. He then went to Canada and played two seasons with the Edmonton Eskimos. He threw a few passes, but he ran more. He's now the running backs coach at Northern Illinois.

I was pretty brutal on Leidner for a long time. But if we had him this year, we probably would have won 7 games.

I was pretty brutal on Leidner for a long time. But if we had him this year, we probably would have won 7 games.

Agreed. If the casual fan can learn anything from this past Gopher season, it's how absolutely crucial competent QB play is for a team. I always liked Leidner and even though he could be frustrating at times, he was head-and-shoulders above what we had this past season.

Leidner was never as good as some people hoped he would be, and I guess that's an unforgivable sin. So they said he was much worse than he was.

The bottom line on Leidner is that he was inconsistent. In some games, and on certain plays, he amazed. He was calm and cool under pressure, and very durable. There's a lot to recommend him.

Leidner was never as good as some people hoped he would be, and I guess that's an unforgivable sin. So they said he was much worse than he was.

The bottom line on Leidner is that he was inconsistent. In some games, and on certain plays, he amazed. He was calm and cool under pressure, and very durable. There's a lot to recommend him.

Yep, watching Mitch was much less frustrating if you just accepted the clear limitations he had and understood that there were certain things he just wasn't going to be able to do. Never understood the amount of hatred that was directed at him.

It wasn't his fault for not being good enough, he was doing the best he could, it was the coaching staffs fault for not being able to find/develop a better option. Here's hoping the current staff has better luck in that department then the previous one did as far as the QB position is concerned at least.

Go get it done Leidner!

Whether you liked his QB play in college or not, why would you not cheer him on trying to make his dreams come true? What's wrong with some of you?

Go get it done Leidner!

Whether you liked his QB play in college or not, why would you not cheer him on trying to make his dreams come true? What's wrong with some of you?

Nobody doesn't want Mitch to succeed. It's just that the realist in some of us understand that based off what we've seen the last few years his chances are slim at best.

Realistically, would you think Mitch Leidner has a better chance to win in the NFL than Colin Kaepernick? Or Johnny Manziel? Or Mark Sanchez? All of those guys looked head and shoulders better than Leidner in college, and can't start in the NFL, two of the three being out of the league, the other being behind two AWFUL QB's. Not to mention how many other college QB's that never got picked up in the NFL, but looked good in college.

I really do hope something clicked and he gets picked up. I'd love for him to be successful. I'm just skeptical it will actually happen.

Is he putting off attending med school or something? Give it a shot, it's not like he's 40 years old. And what other Earth shattering things is he putting on hold?

Nobody doesn't want Mitch to succeed. It's just that the realist in some of us understand that based off what we've seen the last few years his chances are slim at best.

Realistically, would you think Mitch Leidner has a better chance to win in the NFL than Colin Kaepernick? Or Johnny Manziel? Or Mark Sanchez? All of those guys looked head and shoulders better than Leidner in college, and can't start in the NFL, two of the three being out of the league, the other being behind two AWFUL QB's. Not to mention how many other college QB's that never got picked up in the NFL, but looked good in college.

I really do hope something clicked and he gets picked up. I'd love for him to be successful. I'm just skeptical it will actually happen.

On the other hand, if you would have told me that Trevor Siemian would start 22 games as a pro quarterback (to this point) coming out of Northwestern, I would have said you were nuts. Like you, I'm not expecting much from Leidner, but I could see him developing into a back-up somewhere. It's probably a long shot, but the pro and college games have become so radically different that I'm done guessing.

Realistically, would you think Mitch Leidner has a better chance to win in the NFL than Colin Kaepernick? Or Johnny Manziel? Or Mark Sanchez?

Yes, Yes, and Yes. You should probably come up with QBs that aren't blacklisted, completely done due to a drug problem, or butt fumble boy.

Agreed. If the casual fan can learn anything from this past Gopher season, it's how absolutely crucial competent QB play is for a team. I always liked Leidner and even though he could be frustrating at times, he was head-and-shoulders above what we had this past season.
Agree with all of this.

I will say though that casual fans know quarterback play is important...that’s why they were frustrated with ML

Mitch Liedner was exactly as good as many suspected he would be. Big arm. Inconsistent. And could not beat his rivals. Kind of like his high school senior year.

He has all the tools. He actually would probably be a great practice squad QB. He is a better practice player than game player.

I think the problem with Leidner is that some people/websites went out of their way to be on Leidner Island, to the point of being hypercritical of Connor to make Leidner look better. A lot of that blame is on Kill for not developing/recruiting a decent QB. He lucked out with Harnish, and was hoping the same from Mitch.

Top Bottom