ESPN: LaVar Ball pulls son LiAngelo Ball out of UCLA

The ZO2, Lonzo's signature BBB shoe has sold less than 1,000 pairs... albeit at $500 per.

and without taking a dime from a major company. And really without paying for much marketing at all. It certainly could backfire but the risk is worth it. Most guys take paychecks, the Balls could end up making more than the majority of those guys plus keeping it all in house without having to answer to anyone else.

and without taking a dime from a major company. And really without paying for much marketing at all. It certainly could backfire but the risk is worth it. Most guys take paychecks, the Balls could end up making more than the majority of those guys plus keeping it all in house without having to answer to anyone else.

Will the risk be worth it if Lonzo is a marginal NBA player? In this case the risk may have been too high but we won't know for another year or two. I could see a company like BBB getting acquired which would be a huge win. And I 100% agree, and mentioned in a previous post, that the free marketing/PR generated is worth 10s of millions.

Will the risk be worth it if Lonzo is a marginal NBA player? In this case the risk may have been too high but we won't know for another year or two. I could see a company like BBB getting acquired which would be a huge win. And I 100% agree, and mentioned in a previous post, that the free marketing/PR generated is worth 10s of millions.

Possibly. Obviously Lonzo blowing up would be a huge plus but its possible that the brand name itself becomes big enough where they can sell merchandise on that alone. Don't forget that LaMelo ball is THE most popular non NBA player in the world amongst the under 21 demo. He's a few years away from NBA eligibility and his popularity is huge. They don't have to compete with Nike and Adidas in terms of numbers to make huge piles of cash since they're keeping all the profit. So yea its definitely risky but it could pay off huge

If Lonzo had committed a crime, created a minor international incident, quit UCLA before playing a single game, built no body of work beyond Chino Hills...even he would have struggled to make Round 1.

LaVar seems to think he and his family can do this by themselves, but the facts of society mean that to be in the NBA, many other non-Ball humans must also agree. That requires evidence of being really good in competition. Lonzo did this last year, but the other boys don't seem to be interested in actually playing games. Somehow he seems to think having his boys endlessly work out at home is going to do it.

I fervently believe Lonzo will be a star (both because of and in spite of his dad). I think his other boys will wander too far from the path into celebrity before they put in the hard work it takes.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to be seen wearing the Baller shoes. On top of that $500.00 down the drain supporting a loser dad.

No outcome would make LaVar Ball more upset than if LiAngelo played 4 solid years at UCLA, was a strong collegiate starter, and got a first class free education. With a fair chance of playing pro at the end.

That would make him so mad. He would stew in his own juices the whole time about how LiAngelo wasn't getting his fair share of the $$$ and how someone was taking advantage of him. Which may be true, but it's the game that must be played unless the kid's a super duper, 1 or 2 per class type prospect.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm shocked he doesn't have the family on its own reality TV show or has that genre passed us by already?

Playing college basketball is a privilege not a right and the privilege is managed (mostly) by the school. Somebody remind LaVar of that.

Isn't this the one who is a notch below the talent level of the other two? Good luck with the draft.

google "lavar ball, ballislife." There you will find his reality show.

Kinda wish one of his kids would go against his wishes. This kid was the most likely. Lonzo was a one and done, Lamelo is expected to be a one and done...but this Liangelo kid isnt expected to be drafted. Hope he just transfers and plays 3 or 4 years somewhere. He's likely going to China though, so Lavar can expand the big baller brand.

Is it also on TV on the same channel as The Kardashians? Gad, what a waste of valuable TV channel space. I don't watch but is part of the stoop!d package.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ns-liangelo-lamelo-sign-agent-harrison-gaines

Hahaha. Lavar is like the guy who gets broken up with privately and then goes on social media announcing he broke up with his girlfriend. What a tool. It was clear UCLA was going to have no part of the third Ball turd.

I feel bad for the younger kids in that their lives are being totally dictated by their father. So many of us are rooting against them because we can't stand him (myself included).

All that said the happiest people of all about this news are probably Lonzo and the Lakers organization. If Lavar spends a bunch of time overseas with the other two, Lonzo will finally have a chance to be out of his dad's shadow and just play basketball. UCLA is probably relieved as well that they signed an agent because it closes the door on them being eligible. Not that they were likely to want anything to do with LiMelo but they won't have to deal with Lavar blasting them for it.

It was clear UCLA was going to have no part of the third Ball turd.

I disagree. Most any college in the country would love to deal with the Ball circus for the chance to have LaMelo on their team. He is special.

Your right about LaMelo, Here in LA i have seen him take college players apart offensively. He is as bad as a defender as you have seen. Your wrong on the part of most any college. I know of many head coaches who simply made it a point to stay as far away as possible. Through no fault of the kids either but the old man has been contacting schools and coaches for years and want nothing to do with him. Bill Self said he would quit before had to deal with Mr. Ball. Coaches talked about it out loud all summer. After Ball threw the UCLA coaches and team under the bus after Kentucky knocked out my school, everyone was done with that clown.

If Lonzo had committed a crime, created a minor international incident, quit UCLA before playing a single game, built no body of work beyond Chino Hills...even he would have struggled to make Round 1.

LaVar seems to think he and his family can do this by themselves, but the facts of society mean that to be in the NBA, many other non-Ball humans must also agree. That requires evidence of being really good in competition. Lonzo did this last year, but the other boys don't seem to be interested in actually playing games. Somehow he seems to think having his boys endlessly work out at home is going to do it.

I fervently believe Lonzo will be a star (both because of and in spite of his dad). I think his other boys will wander too far from the path into celebrity before they put in the hard work it takes.

Few things:
1 - nobody ever thought LiAngelo was going to be an NBA player
2 - While LaMelo started off looking kind of like a gimmick he's now looking like a legit NBA prospect
3 - High school games mean next to nothing for NBA evals. Scouts and coaches focus faaaarrr more on AAU play and summer camps when they're playing with and against other top competition. College coaches barely pay attention to high school games these days. NBA scouts definitely don't
4 - We've seen guys skip college and go play overseas for a year and still get drafted in the lottery. Its a model that has worked. Skipping college to play overseas for 3 years hasn't been tried by an American but almost all of the European guys drafted in the first round were playing pro ball at least by the age of 16 if not earlier. Rubio, Porzingis, etc. Those guys leave traditional schooling to focus on basketball regularly so its not like this isn't something that's ever done.
5 - I think its a bit ridiculous to imply that the other brothers haven't been putting in 'the work'. What is that based on? 2 years ago they were the nucleus of a state title HS team. Lonzo became a top 3 pick. LaMelo moved up the scout rankings. Everything I've seen makes it seem like Lavar is serious as a trainer with them.
6 - Yea, 'endless' training does kind of work. The players that improve the most are those that work on their game the most

I feel bad for the younger kids in that their lives are being totally dictated by their father. So many of us are rooting against them because we can't stand him (myself included).

All that said the happiest people of all about this news are probably Lonzo and the Lakers organization. If Lavar spends a bunch of time overseas with the other two, Lonzo will finally have a chance to be out of his dad's shadow and just play basketball. UCLA is probably relieved as well that they signed an agent because it closes the door on them being eligible. Not that they were likely to want anything to do with LiMelo but they won't have to deal with Lavar blasting them for it.

That sounds like a you issue. Tons of people are rooting for them because its dope to see someone not just bow down to the powers that be. The NCAA, shoe companies, etc. Nobody has a problem when athletes and their families just bow down and are oh so thankful to these huge corporations for having the kindness in their hearts to give these kids a few bucks. But when someone strikes out on their own, they're the bad guy, even though that's supposedly the American dream. And honestly, if you're the type of person to root against a teenager because you don't like their father, you just kind of suck as a person. LaMelo Ball is the most popular non NBA player in the world and that is in large part because of the father who is so cruelly dictating his life. He's living in the hills in Cali, driving luxury cars, has a shoe with his name on it, and is known worldwide, AND is about to get paid to pay basketball all before he turns 17 but some of you act like his dad is the twin brother of Cinderella's step mom or something. A few angry old folks isn't going to keep him from living his life

Your right about LaMelo, Here in LA i have seen him take college players apart offensively. He is as bad as a defender as you have seen. Your wrong on the part of most any college. I know of many head coaches who simply made it a point to stay as far away as possible. Through no fault of the kids either but the old man has been contacting schools and coaches for years and want nothing to do with him. Bill Self said he would quit before had to deal with Mr. Ball. Coaches talked about it out loud all summer. After Ball threw the UCLA coaches and team under the bus after Kentucky knocked out my school, everyone was done with that clown.

NCAA coaches are dictators. They don't want any other influencers or voices around their program that they can't control. I wouldn't either. But that system is inherently unfair to the players. LaVar represents someone clearly looking to help a player profit from his own ability and marketability. Just because that doesn't mesh with the exploitative system the NCAA runs doesn't mean he's wrong,

NCAA coaches are dictators. They don't want any other influencers or voices around their program that they can't control. I wouldn't either. But that system is inherently unfair to the players. LaVar represents someone clearly looking to help a player profit from his own ability and marketability. Just because that doesn't mesh with the exploitative system the NCAA runs doesn't mean he's wrong,

Having the coach run the team is a "system" that's inherently unfair to the players? Huh.

It is interesting to see that there are people out there that Lavar's personality and values appeal to. Sad, but interesting.

I am all for the Balls doing their thing and succeeding, college is not for everyone. To each their own. It seems the boys are nice kids. The old man causes me no harm. He just lacks class in throwing Jordan and Barkley and others under the bus. He is always bragging but i saw him play college hoops and he was terrible. Lying is not acceptable. neither is stealing. Fyi, time will tell if the money is everything and if it happens it better be from playing basketball because the shoe business has not gained a single dime yet. That is one tough business.

I am all for the Balls doing their thing and succeeding, college is not for everyone. To each their own. It seems the boys are nice kids. The old man causes me no harm. He just lacks class in throwing Jordan and Barkley and others under the bus. He is always bragging but i saw him play college hoops and he was terrible. Lying is not acceptable. neither is stealing. Fyi, time will tell if the money is everything and if it happens it better be from playing basketball because the shoe business has not gained a single dime yet. That is one tough business.

Agree. Having your own brand may allow you to keep all the potential profits, but you also bear all the risk. It seems like the move would have made more sense when the boys had a little more hoops credibility instead of hoops potential.

It is also important to remember that when the brand turns it's first dollar profit(if it ever does), they aren't up $1, they are down 9 million and change from what Lonzo's contract would have been.

My main problem with Lavar is that he does a lot of it to draw attention to himself, not his kids. I don't have a problem with his kids. I don't think Lonzo is going to be anything close to a star unless he can improve his shot, but I think he'll at least be a serviceable NBA player.

And I don't have a problem with Lonzo wanting to go the Big Ball Brand route for his shoe sponsorship, assuming he was the one who made that call. What I worry about with BBB is if Lavar is exploiting his sons there. Who gets the profits? It kind of seems to me that part of the reason Lavar wants Lonzo with BBB is so that Lavar can rake in a profit (if the company ever makes money) and not because it is the best thing for Lonzo. If Lonzo signs with Nike or whoever, then that money goes to Lonzo. If he's with BBB, then Lavar can make money too.

Lavar is a personal trainer. He has no business education that I am aware of, and has no experience with negotiating marketing deals or running an apparel company. Is it really smart to bring your sons into your business when you don't even know how to run one? Especially when your son could get a great deal of guaranteed money by signing with a different company? Lonzo is an adult and can make his own decisions, but with as involved as Lavar has been with all of it I wonder if Lonzo doesn't feel he really has a choice. It's just not a smart business decision. The smarter thing would have been to sign with a shoe company for 2-3 years, take the guaranteed money, build some NBA credibility, and then go out on your own.

I don't buy the "Lavar is just trying to show people you can stick it to the man" argument. He's charging $500 for basketball shoes. He's not doing it for the little guy, he's doing it for Lavar.

Lavar Ball is very calculated. What you think is 'crazy' is part of the masterclass (not saying the guy doesn't fail sometimes, but overall he is winning - by a lot).

Also, Big Baller Brand is not seeking to occupy the same competition bracket as Nike, Adidas etc. People don't understand the rationale behind the pricing. The strategy is to compete in the high-end brand echelon (Gucci etc.). This is similar to what Audi did by touting itself through comparisons to higher-end brands like BMW (notice that Audi is basically an Acura???).

BBB is going for the disposable income demographic!

Having the coach run the team is a "system" that's inherently unfair to the players? Huh.

No, having a system where players have very little autonomy or freedom despite them being the talent pool and the driving force behind the hundreds of millions of dollars being made is unfair to the players

It is interesting to see that there are people out there that Lavar's personality and values appeal to. Sad, but interesting.

I could've sworn entrepreneurship is something many Americans swear they're all about. Could've sworn the loss of small, independently owned businesses is something people have been up in arms about for some time now. Could've sworn job creation and creativity are positive economic values. Odd that you aren't for those things...

Hey our president doesn't know what class even is. No, he's not classy. I couldn't care less. I'm interested in the endeavor itself. Everything else is literally marketing and its worked like a charm, really. There are a hundred middle aged Gopher fans on here that know exactly what BBB is that otherwise would have no idea and he's done that for free.

No, having a system where players have very little autonomy or freedom despite them being the talent pool and the driving force behind the hundreds of millions of dollars being made is unfair to the players

Yup, totally unfair. And yet, almost every high school basketball player in the country would give their left nut to have a scholarship offer from Kentucky, Kansas, or UCLA. Totally exploitative and unfair.

My main problem with Lavar is that he does a lot of it to draw attention to himself, not his kids. I don't have a problem with his kids. I don't think Lonzo is going to be anything close to a star unless he can improve his shot, but I think he'll at least be a serviceable NBA player.

And I don't have a problem with Lonzo wanting to go the Big Ball Brand route for his shoe sponsorship, assuming he was the one who made that call. What I worry about with BBB is if Lavar is exploiting his sons there. Who gets the profits? It kind of seems to me that part of the reason Lavar wants Lonzo with BBB is so that Lavar can rake in a profit (if the company ever makes money) and not because it is the best thing for Lonzo. If Lonzo signs with Nike or whoever, then that money goes to Lonzo. If he's with BBB, then Lavar can make money too.

Lavar is a personal trainer. He has no business education that I am aware of, and has no experience with negotiating marketing deals or running an apparel company. Is it really smart to bring your sons into your business when you don't even know how to run one? Especially when your son could get a great deal of guaranteed money by signing with a different company? Lonzo is an adult and can make his own decisions, but with as involved as Lavar has been with all of it I wonder if Lonzo doesn't feel he really has a choice. It's just not a smart business decision. The smarter thing would have been to sign with a shoe company for 2-3 years, take the guaranteed money, build some NBA credibility, and then go out on your own.

I don't buy the "Lavar is just trying to show people you can stick it to the man" argument. He's charging $500 for basketball shoes. He's not doing it for the little guy, he's doing it for Lavar.

Valid thoughts.
- Far as I know the Balls were living a fairly solid middle class type of life for a while so its not like Lavar was trimming hedges for a living before. If he was a full time trainer he was clearly doing somewhat ok before so I'm guessing he had some business acumen. Also, this man has generated more free PR for his company than just about anyone ever but people with no business acumen constantly question his, lol.

- Personally, I reject the 'who profits' argument. I mean I understand it, I just disagree with it. Its one thing to 'exploit' your child and force them to do things purely for your benefit. But a parent profiting off of their kids talents isn't inherently wrong. Why are we so ok with Nike profiting off a kid's talent but 'worried' about the kids family profiting off of it? Think about how backwards that is. Plus this is gravy money. If Lonzo is even a decent player he'll make $8-12 mil a year for 5-10 years. He'll be fine. He can afford to take this risk far more than someone making $30K a year

- The price of the shoes has 0 to do with his intentions. That said nobody thinks BBB is about charity. Its a for profit business. They're trying to make money. The price of the initial shoe is high but only those with money bought them. Again, why is it a problem when Ball is selling shoes for $500 but not when a major company does it? Its a business. People will buy or they wont. Do you buy Nike because you think Phil Knight is in it for the benefit of you and me? lol. If Lavar Ball was a Plumber and your next door neighbor and started Ball & Sons Plumbing and had his kids come work for him after high school you wouldn't care (I'm guessing). At least I know I wouldn't. If what he's doing fails guess what? At least 2 of his sons will get paid 6 or 7 figures yearly for 7-15 years playing basketball in the NBA or in Europe. Not a bad fall back plan

That sounds like a you issue. Tons of people are rooting for them because its dope to see someone not just bow down to the powers that be. The NCAA, shoe companies, etc. Nobody has a problem when athletes and their families just bow down and are oh so thankful to these huge corporations for having the kindness in their hearts to give these kids a few bucks. But when someone strikes out on their own, they're the bad guy, even though that's supposedly the American dream. And honestly, if you're the type of person to root against a teenager because you don't like their father, you just kind of suck as a person. LaMelo Ball is the most popular non NBA player in the world and that is in large part because of the father who is so cruelly dictating his life. He's living in the hills in Cali, driving luxury cars, has a shoe with his name on it, and is known worldwide, AND is about to get paid to pay basketball all before he turns 17 but some of you act like his dad is the twin brother of Cinderella's step mom or something. A few angry old folks isn't going to keep him from living his life

Wow....just wow...not even sure where to start with that one.

Yup, totally unfair. And yet, almost every high school basketball player in the country would give their left nut to have a scholarship offer from Kentucky, Kansas, or UCLA. Totally exploitative and unfair.

That's an objectively terrible argument. Just because people want something as is doesn't make it non exploitative. Many people would commit minor crimes to be paid more, that doesn't mean the wage they're receiving is fair. A person living on $1 a day would kill to make $2 a day. Almost every slave would've given their left nut for a steak. Just because people want something doesn't mean it's fair. There are 14 scholarship players receiving the equivalent of say $50K worth of education which is $700K. Meanwhile the average ticket at Williams arena is $30 and with a capacity of 14625 that means they can bring in $438,750 in just one of their about 20 home games. So yea, I'd say those kids are getting exploited

Top Bottom