Washington looks miserable

I'm starting to think this was a swing and miss for the gophers. Look at what McKinley Wright is doing at Colorado against Drake: 21 points on 9-12 shooting with 9 ast and 5 rebs. He averaging double figures with 4 ast a game. We took IW over Wright and that's not looking good for the program. I would take Wright or Davidson in Wisconsin over IW. He was a non-factor last night against a small 4 guard lineup in Drake. I wouldn't be shocked if IW transfers after the season.

It's a swing in miss because 11 games into his collegiate career he didn't match another players stats against the same team? Really glad you're not in charge of running the program.

Comparing IW to Wright at this point, it's a blow-out. Washington looks lost out there if you actually watch the games. Last night was a game where he should have thrived against a team that uses a 4 guard line-up. IW has a very low basketball IQ where Wright has an elite IQ. The IW vs Wright choice is going to kill the gophers next year unless Washington improves greatly in the off-season. He will be handed the keys to a potentially really good team.

Comparing IW to Wright at this point, it's a blow-out. Washington looks lost out there if you actually watch the games. Last night was a game where he should have thrived against a team that uses a 4 guard line-up. IW has a very low basketball IQ where Wright has an elite IQ. The IW vs Wright choice is going to kill the gophers next year unless Washington improves greatly in the off-season. He will be handed the keys to a potentially really good team.

I agree that right now Wright is out performing Washington but to say its a swing and a miss is a bit premature in my opinion. This is Mr. Basketball in the state of NY. I think his track record is fine he just needs some time as all freshman do.

Only on GH. SMH. Over reactions are fun. It’s one game. IW is about upside. He was not brought in to start this year. He is here to learn. If he accepts that role as 2nd team facilitator, he will do well. If he doesn’t, he’s going to have a crap year. Maybe even to the point he transfers. But to call someone a “swing and a miss” at this point is asinine. Remember the Springs overreacting last year in the first few games? Remember Murphy being a middling player all last year? Guys develop and grow. IW has a great chance to do hat this year over the course of the whole year and we’ll see how he stacks at seasons end.

You're a ****ing moron, if you actually watch ****ing morons. I have watched ****ing morons for more years than you've been alive, so trust me.

No I don't remember Murphy being a middling player last year. He was good last year and this year is elite. I could be wrong but I'm worried about the PG next year. They need a grad transfer or JC player to come in as well to play major minutes otherwise we could be in deep trouble. All other positions are in a good shape next year but one

You're a ****ing moron, if you actually watch ****ing morons. I have watched ****ing morons for more years than you've been alive, so trust me.

I'm underwhelmed with Washington, show me how I'm a moron. His game does not translate to the Big 10. I hope he can learn, grow and get better. Team basketball is not in his wheelhouse right now, his shot is terrible and those pretty finger-rolls don't work in D1 hoops.

No I don't remember Murphy being a middling player last year. He was good last year and this year is elite. I could be wrong but I'm worried about the PG next year. They need a grad transfer or JC player to come in as well to play major minutes otherwise we could be in deep trouble. All other positions are in a good shape next year but one

He was middling the first half of last year. Pitino use to call him low moter Murph

If Washington transferred, I DO NOT THINK HE WILL, that would leave a pretty large void in the backcourt next year. I don't think Harris or Kalscheur could run the 1 and Dupree isn't the most adept ball handler I've ever seen. He is fine as an off guard but he definitely isn't a 1.

Pitino needs to find another primary ball handler for next year, even if Washington stays.

I'm starting to think this was a swing and miss for the gophers. Look at what McKinley Wright is doing at Colorado against Drake: 21 points on 9-12 shooting with 9 ast and 5 rebs. He averaging double figures with 4 ast a game. We took IW over Wright and that's not looking good for the program. I would take Wright or Davidson in Wisconsin over IW. He was a non-factor last night against a small 4 guard lineup in Drake. I wouldn't be shocked if IW transfers after the season.

Lol

Washington is going to be the starting PG playing 30+ minutes a game for 3 years. Next year, if everyone is back, we will be a fringe top 25 team again.

I'm underwhelmed with Washington, show me how I'm a moron. His game does not translate to the Big 10. I hope he can learn, grow and get better. Team basketball is not in his wheelhouse right now, his shot is terrible and those pretty finger-rolls don't work in D1 hoops.

There is one glaring problem with your take. McKinley is the focal point of his team. He was handed the keys to the castle before his freshman season ever started. The exact inverse is the case with IW. Trying to compare their statistics and performance when their situations are entirely different is a mistake. I've been a little bit let down by IW, but I see absolutely no reason to think he won't be great. He's an incredible ball handler that dribbles into the wrong area sometimes. I disagree completely regarding his shot, I think it looks good. Yes, not many have gone in, but simply from a mechanics standpoint I think he's in good shape. It's incredibly difficult for a player to gain confidence when his coach gives him no room for error. Pitino is coaching to win games, and is giving his best players as many minutes as he can. IW will be a very good player for this team in the future, even if this year he fails to meet expectations. His ability to dish to the post and his ability to create space are things that are nearly impossible to teach. You need to stop freaking out and be happy that we have a bright future.

abrams must be friends with McKinley Wright and have a ton of free time.

Abrams probably wrote off Sam Jacobson after his Freshman season too. Washington seemed pretty pumped after his feed to Reggie in the first half, that was a nice dish in traffic

There are different kinds of players. They are both true freshman and highly competitive but one goes to a program with a ton of available time. IW wants to start but has to fight to win time and that is frustrating for him. Give him time to mature and to adjust to a whole new culture on and off the court.

There are different kinds of players. They are both true freshman and highly competitive but one goes to a program with a ton of available time. IW wants to start but has to fight to win time and that is frustrating for him. Give him time to mature and to adjust to a whole new culture on and off the court.

Nah he’s a bust /s

Nah man, once a guy has played 12 total games, you can project with pinpoint accuracy exactly how the rest of his career will go. We already have all the information we need to know he is a bust and a "swing and miss" from Pitino. :rolleyes:

Nah man, once a guy has played 12 total games, you can project with pinpoint accuracy exactly how the rest of his career will go. We already have all the information we need to know he is a bust and a "swing and miss" from Pitino. :rolleyes:

The hype surrounding this kid doesn't match his on court performance to this point in time. I hope I'm wrong but so far I'm underwhelmed.

The hype surrounding this kid doesn't match his on court performance to this point in time. I hope I'm wrong but so far I'm underwhelmed.

Remember when we(as a fan base) were down on McBrayer because of his rough first year shooting the ball (really only the non-conference freshman year)... Sometimes players are better in a post-hype environment. Give the kid(IW) an off-season where everyone is doubting him except himself. He can work hard to prove us all wrong sophomore year or he'll collapse and be only a 4 year contributor. I'll put my money on him being great after a season of growing pains.

Did you think he was a "one and done?" It's been since Humphries that we had a one and done. I never heard anyone say that about Washington.

And remember it is always higher for the fan base of the school he committed to. In time he will become a very good player but not a single blue blood offered for a reason. His best offer by far was Xavier, then Minnesota then not much. These kinds of players can become all conference players with hard work and time. Much of his legend is on YouTube, playground stuff. Pitino knows that does not work at this level. He is looking for substance. IW has that but it needs work.

One and done, no. Playing meaning full minutes and playing well, yes. He flashed in the Providence game since not so much.

I remember wondering during Murphy's freshman year just how he would ever become a top tier talent in the B1G because he didn't seem to have an offensive arsenal outside of 8 ft and it was all based on strength. Now he has completely changed his game to controlled dribbling/moves in the lane and uses his strength so much better than he did even last year. You can still see Reggie, and sometimes Amir, jumping off one foot or spinning without a plan while Jordan is in control at almost all times (definite improvement for Amir this year).

Point being...don't underestimate how much IW can improve year over year in terms of decision-making and ability to remain in control with the ball. The guy can just about get past anyone and already finishes well when he takes a reasonable shot. I trust the coaches to groom him in the way they have with Murphy and I'll take my chances with his talent.

You can still see Reggie, and sometimes Amir, jumping off one foot or spinning without a plan

If it's not a dunk Reggie is basically just throwing the ball towards the basket.

Amir needs to go up and finish strong. This avoiding contact, bringing the ball to his waste and switching hands business is not very effective.

Don't get me wrong, both very good players.

To the point of the thread and poster, I think IW will be ready to roll come next season.

Fan hype and your personal lofty expectations have nothing to do with whether or not he, in your words, is a swing and a miss for the program.

Best since Nolen that is quick enough to bypass whoever is guarding him and get in the lane with ease, improved jump shot and the ability to find the open man is the only thing holding him back, he's got a great future in front of him

One and done, no. Playing meaning full minutes and playing well, yes. He flashed in the Providence game since not so much.

I mean he's averaging 7.5 PPG and 2.5 Assists per game coming off the bench. I just don't know what you're expectations were but those aren't bad numbers for a freshman. I agree he needs to clean up some of his decision making and needs to sink some more shots but if you're overly disappointed in 7.5 and 2.5 at this point I don't know what to tell ya.

I mean he's averaging 7.5 PPG and 2.5 Assists per game coming off the bench. I just don't know what you're expectations were but those aren't bad numbers for a freshman. I agree he needs to clean up some of his decision making and needs to sink some more shots but if you're overly disappointed in 7.5 and 2.5 at this point I don't know what to tell ya.

I mean . . . what his shooting percentage?

It is not the production i am disappointed in , in is the lack of efficiency. Better shot selection will bring about a better %. He has never been thought of as a good shooter. When the game slows down for him he will show much better. The other thing is poor defense. He has the tools to be a great defender even with limited length.

Top Bottom