Washington looks miserable

He took one (!) shot last night and made it. I guess it's fair to critique his body language, but I don't think we should being saying things like he only is out to "get his." I have watched every game so far and admit I haven't focused on his response to every situation all the time, but in the times that I have noticed his frustration have mostly been tied to calls from the referee or frustration about his own failure to execute.

I agree with this post. Okay, we want Washington to be rah-rah and ecstatic for whatever opportunity he receives, whatever. The flip side of this is that perhaps his early struggles are driving him even harder. If people are worried that he'll transfer, don't be silly. His teammates and coach don't seem to have any concerns with his behavior, and this guy obviously desires to be a great player. That's what you want, players that wish to improve and want to be great. We have a good one in IW.

Also, he played completely within his limits yesterday, an obvious sign of improvement from a poor performance.

I coach 4th grade boys basketball and something we have zero tolerance for is pouting and not being supportive of teammates. As others have mentioned attitude and energy are under your own control, they require zero skill, so there is no excuse for either to be lacking. If my players are unable to provide energy and support for their teammates they are told to go and sit by their parents....and it works every time. I understand he's a young man putting immense pressure on himself but I will never support players who are so selfish as to only be happy when they are performing at 100%. Make your mistakes, get back into the play and try and make an impact the next time you are in the game.

I have a very good player on my team who i've not seen miss two shots in a row the entire season go 0-12 this weekend. He as clearly down so I challenged him to change the game defensively and set screens for his teammates.....he did just that and ultimately we won because of his efforts. At age 18 you have enough hair on your chest to get over missing a few shots that you normally make...it's time for Jelly to realize he's a big boy now and work through his bad games.

Thanks for this take! Should be interesting when Richard puts him in the stands and he proceeds to transfer. Hopefully IW can find a ride home from some of the other parents if his don't make it in from NY.

One update to my concern over his apparent “pouting” issue: Pitino said this in his recent press conference about Washington: “...He’s a freshman that’s eager to learn and doesn’t have a big ego. He just wants to win. Our guys all love him, just like Jamir...”. That quote certainly makes me feel better about his behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not worried, he's a freshman struggling to adjust. I believe he will

We can't view Isaiah like other freshmen. Most have early careers like Jamir has had where it's under the radar and he's able to grow naturally without much attention being paid to him. The difference with Isaiah is his performance is put on YouTube after every game and tons of discussion about his play comes with that. So the fact he isn't starting, isn't putting up the numbers im sure he thought he would and is dealing with the ups and downs all freshmen deal with it makes sense he would be this way a bit. I'm sure he sees the YouTube comments and texts from his friends back home. The 300,000 followers are great but there's a lot of pressure that comes with that. He's just gotta work through it. The good thing is he's got guys around him that have already gone through a lot.

Imagine the player you would have if he's able to come through this. Not much will phase him at that point.

I remember when I was BITTERLY SCATHED by people for suggesting IW could potentially turn into a cancerous street baller with a bad attitude last year.

And yet, I am not jumping on to the band-wagon of concerned Gopher fans!

Give him a break! 8 games in with 1 against a top ten team in a sold out barn and 1 B1G game. That gives him a good performance in one of three tough games so far (Providence). He is going to have some hick-ups running the offense and finding his own shots. That takes a little figuring out even if you are a pass first PG. Take another look at this in six weeks and see how he is doing.

I remember when I was BITTERLY SCATHED by people for suggesting IW could potentially turn into a cancerous street baller with a bad attitude last year.

And yet, I am not jumping on to the band-wagon of concerned Gopher fans!

Give him a break! 8 games in with 1 against a top ten team in a sold out barn and 1 B1G game. That gives him a good performance in one of three tough games so far (Providence). He is going to have some hick-ups running the offense and finding his own shots. That takes a little figuring out even if you are a pass first PG. Take another look at this in six weeks and see how he is doing.

He's behind the best PG in the Big Ten and in his only extended minutes he's proven that he should be. He's got the shot selection of a more-famous than his game freshman, which is exactly to be expected of him. Being too down on him now is like getting mad at your dog for sniffing butts. Better to work out the usual freshman/rookie kinks in practice before giving him the ball too much in B1G games for now.

He's also basically the team's only option at the PG position next season, or this season if anything happens (fatigue, fouls, injuries, suspensions, ineffectiveness) to Mason or McBrayer. There will be days with more run coming.

I agree with this post. Okay, we want Washington to be rah-rah and ecstatic for whatever opportunity he receives, whatever. The flip side of this is that perhaps his early struggles are driving him even harder. If people are worried that he'll transfer, don't be silly. His teammates and coach don't seem to have any concerns with his behavior, and this guy obviously desires to be a great player. That's what you want, players that wish to improve and want to be great. We have a good one in IW.

Also, he played completely within his limits yesterday, an obvious sign of improvement from a poor performance.

I totally agree. He swished a trey and did well all around. He will come around

Its a year of huge adjustments and growth for IW. New school; new city; new team; new role. He needs to be mentally tough and patient. Things will improve but he needs to trust the process. I am sure the coaches are having this discussion with him.

He seems like a good kid and has abilities you can't teach. We need him.

It has been frustrating to watch him, but he has undeniable talent. I hope he keeps working hard. He will figure things out.

It's December... how's his taking Dupree's starting spot looking now?

I will add to the other comments that’s its much too early in IWs career for concern. The guy with the worst body language at times just last year was Jordan Murphy. Now he’s a first team all American if the season ended today. It takes time people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with this, especially the part where you say I am right ;)
I've been very impressed with him at times. I remember how much Pitino had to work with Dupree about looking dejected when things werent going his way. Confidence and equanimity is a critical aspect of a player's game and development.

McBrayer still looks dejected at times. He's only 21 or so. I'm most interested in IW's interactions with his teammates and the coaches and things look ok at this point from my vantage point in the stands. He was a youtube and insta megastar and now it's much harder. A lot of players are better than he is and he is living in an incredibly foreign environment. Two years ago at about this point I would have bet against McBrayer, Mason and Murphy still being here, so I'm not concerned.

Having watched the IW mini docs, he's obviously really bright and recognizes opportunity. I hope that he's enrolled in some Carlson classes and not bulls#t athlete courses because he has the potential to end up wealthy outside of hoops. If he makes it through his freshman year, he will be fine. (Not that different from non athletes.) The biggest adjustment is that he has been told since he was in sixth grade that he is going to the NBA and I don't think that's going to happen.

I guess, I'm not sure which came first...the pouting or the late entry into the game and limited minutes in the first half. No matter the reason why, he did just start the previous game. He didn't play as well, as he would like but the coach said he's talented, great, etc postgame, but then he didn't hit the court for a long time Sunday. Depending on the communication before the game I'd be wondering too what's going on if it were me. I get McBrayer starting, but maybe IW was expecting redemption or who knows what his thoughts were. IW likely will be just fine, it is not talent stopping him. McBrayer didn't exactly look all world or engaged most of the night. Curry last year had a kitty in reaction to lots of different calls and plays. IW is a freshman, it's pretty normal. They wanna be great!!! It's a good thing! It just needs to be harnessed. Doesn't all happen in 9 games.
When he has a double double sometime soon...then everyone will be like see... I told you!!!

Regardless of which player; freshman, star or bench warmer... I cannot stand pouting, especially when you team is winning.

Coaches need to kill that kind of behavior quick.

One thing I have figured out is that many of the men on this board love sports but really dislike athletes.

He played well last night. He's doing fine for a freshman. Yes, the Miami game was disappointing. He was thrust into a role he wasn't ready for. That's not surprising. Hopefully Pitino/Mason can keep his head up.

Regardless of which player; freshman, star or bench warmer... I cannot stand pouting, especially when you team is winning.

Coaches need to kill that kind of behavior quick.

Some players also tend to look like that all the time. Jay Cutler has an almost permanent scowl/pout. It doesn't mean he's not a competent NFL QB.

Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily translate to 5v5 success.

I totally agree...these two Gophers aren't playing in the Gus Macker. I have no idea who would win a 2v2 game, but from what I've seen (haven't seen that much of Wright or Davison this season) those two are versatile, competitive, and make their teams better right now! If I were to pick a team for a structured Big Ten 5v5 game today, I would take Wright & Davison with Coffey, Murphy, & Lynch in a second over IW & Harris with Coffey, Murphy, & Lynch. With that said, Davison had a goose-egg last night vs. Penn State (joys of being a freshman), but both their stat lines are quite impressive 8 or 9 games into the season. Maybe IW & Harris will improve at a faster rate playing behind Mason & Dupree, one can only hope! Otherwise, it should would be nice to have them competing for their home state university.

PG is a hard position to learn and he plays on a veteran team with high expectations. On one hand it means he doesn't have to do too much, on the other it means he's expected to produce and fit in when he's in the game. It'll come. I think he's smart enough to understand his situation being behind a really good player. He knows his time will come but he's hitting the first on court adversity he's ever had. This is also why despite his hype he was never a 5 star type guy. His game isn't perfect. He's a scorer without great size or a great shot.

Some players also tend to look like that all the time. Jay Cutler has an almost permanent scowl/pout. It doesn't mean he's not a competent NFL QB.

Wanna bet? haha:eek:

This IW lousy shot stuff is killin' me. He's got live tape draining shot after shot. He played in a couple elite post season all star games and won the 3 point contest in each. Maybe we wouldn't want to teach a kid to emulate his shot but he can shoot. Springs looked liked he couldn't shoot either according many people on here. That opinion changed as he got comfortable, it took some time and he was a senior. Give IW some time to settle in too. He's good.

Not doing much is not who he is. He's the show. He's not a conservative, fundamental, initiate the offense kind of point guard. He's creative. When he's comfortable it'll be wow!! When his teammates are ready to receive his passes and can finish he'll look better. Until then there is gonna be some groans. It's a process.

This IW lousy shot stuff is killin' me. He's got live tape draining shot after shot. He played in a couple elite post season all star games and won the 3 point contest in each. Maybe we wouldn't want to teach a kid to emulate his shot but he can shoot. Springs looked liked he couldn't shoot either according many people on here. That opinion changed as he got comfortable, it took some time and he was a senior. Give IW some time to settle in too. He's good.

Not doing much is not who he is. He's the show. He's not a conservative, fundamental, initiate the offense kind of point guard. He's creative. When he's comfortable it'll be wow!! When his teammates are ready to receive his passes and can finish he'll look better. Until then there is gonna be some groans. It's a process.

Yup.

He's a young person and his life is radically different than it was six months ago. He's a good player, more creative than most at this level. He needs time to adjust. If he gets the right kind of support (and I don't know what that is because I don't know him) and room to make mistakes and grow on and off the court (again, don't know him), this could and should turn out really well for him and the U.

One thing I have figured out is that many of the men on this board love sports but really dislike athletes.

It's because we can't dunk a basketball, throw a spiral sixty yards, throw a 96mph fastball on the far edge of home plate etc. and never could.

To be fair, do you love the personalities of all of the writers, performers and actors whose work you enjoy?

I'm starting to think this was a swing and miss for the gophers. Look at what McKinley Wright is doing at Colorado against Drake: 21 points on 9-12 shooting with 9 ast and 5 rebs. He averaging double figures with 4 ast a game. We took IW over Wright and that's not looking good for the program. I would take Wright or Davidson in Wisconsin over IW. He was a non-factor last night against a small 4 guard lineup in Drake. I wouldn't be shocked if IW transfers after the season.

I wouldn't be shocked if IW transfers after the season.

Not sure anyone would be shocked, but who the hell knows. He's going to be handed the keys next year, so hopefully he keeps learning and working hard in practice.

Top Bottom