Washington looks miserable

strommen

Reaction score
Anybody else notice how depressed he looked during/after the Rutgers game, which we won by 22 points?

Obviously he wants more minutes, which I totally understand - but the kid looked 0% happy for his teammates.

I’d be sad too if I was consistently getting shots at the rim and they weren’t falling and if the move I’ve used all my life wasn’t converting on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw that too in the Rutgers game. I think Pitino would be good at reading this type of thing and he will be able to help him get his mind straight. I'm sure he thought he would have more success early, but he will get there.

No doubt he is extremely frustrated right now. He has not made the transition as quick as I am sure he as well as many of us thought he would. This is where a guy like Mason really has to step up from a leadership standpoint, and try to help him make the transition. IW will get there it is just going to take some time and patience.

You're not imagining it. His dobber is down, still pouting. Certainly not unusual for a freshman.

Jelly just needs to understand that only the truly elite freshmen are able to step in and be major contributors at a major program. There's no shame in that. Keep working, and I'm sure the upperclassmen are keeping a bug in his ear, telling him to stick with it.

You're not imagining it. His dobber is down, still pouting. Certainly not unusual for a freshman.

Jelly just needs to understand that only the truly elite freshmen are able to step in and be major contributors at a major program. There's no shame in that. Keep working, and I'm sure the upperclassmen are keeping a bug in his ear, telling him to stick with it.

Not to mention a major program ranked in the top 20 and with big ambitions this year.

I really hope he understands that the point position is his next year. There is literally no competition. I hope we’re looking hard for a grad transfer, juco, or spring recruit to back him up. You’ve gotta put in your time and learn behind a senior first team all B1G guard.

The BIG is not the NYC playground. Things are a bit different. Jelly this, Jelly that doesn't mean anything.

It's important that IW is a good team player. Its not about all him and lets hope he realizes that soon. Pouting shows lack of maturity. If he isn't happy with his PT and performance, then he needs to do some things differently.

He is control of his own destiny.

Definitely looking down, which surprised me a bit. Ihavent felt as critical previously as others regarding his play. But that Miami game was not a good thing for his development. At issue I think is so many critical games early. A conference must-win game December 3? (did I miss Christmas?)
When we get back to the cupcake part of the schedule he'll have more room to find his way, but until we get through Nebraska and Arkansas, he'll have to be unhappy. I think Pitino and Mason will support him through this. I think its good he has the opportunity to work through this away from his home fans.

Pitino said -Having Dupree out meant he had to put Washington at the point, because IW doesnt know how to play the 2 yet. Ouch Reality came crashing down, much as it did for Luke Skywalker.
So, his training was not complete. Not ready for the burden was he.

This has been obvious and happening for a few games, been surprised this hasn't been a conversation until now. Forcing shots, trying to do too much, not making the team better but instead trying to "get his". Although he is very quick and can get to the paint anytime he wants, I've not been impressed with him yet. His feel as a PG is sub-par. He doesn't like to or want to do the little things that will make him better or his team better. Most frosh are disappointed with their playing time or success at some point during their freshman season, especially if highly touted! I'm not concerned that his dobber is down, I'm concerned he's not as good as hyped and will struggle with that reality, preventing him from making the necessary adjustments to his game. PS...don't watch Colorado or check their stats!

This has been obvious and happening for a few games, been surprised this hasn't been a conversation until now. Forcing shots, trying to do too much, not making the team better but instead trying to "get his". Although he is very quick and can get to the paint anytime he wants, I've not been impressed with him yet. His feel as a PG is sub-par. He doesn't like to or want to do the little things that will make him better or his team better. Most frosh are disappointed with their playing time or success at some point during their freshman season, especially if highly touted! I'm not concerned that his dobber is down, I'm concerned he's not as good as hyped and will struggle with that reality, preventing him from making the necessary adjustments to his game. PS...don't watch Colorado or check their stats!

There will come a time when he will be doing amazing things with regularity.

There will come a time when he will be doing amazing things with regularity.

The rush to judgment never ceases to amaze me. The implication of selfish play just seems way out of bounds as well. He is in game 9 of his college career at the hardest and most important position on the floor. The hype that was largely created by us was too much. Completely unrealistic to expect an undersized point guard to come in and dominate in the first month of his freshman year. If he is able to endure the learning curve, he will be a great player. Moonlight is right that the tough early schedule doesn't help. He is a freshman who I hope has some sense of perseverance in him. I remember Mason's first two years were at mercurial. Super one game and almost completely absent the next. I'm glad he stuck it through.

Guys he's a freshman 8 games into the season...he will figure things out.

I'm not saying he's selfish, I'm saying that his reaction to some failure is to "get his" instead of doing the little things you want from a PG (especially a freshman). If he makes the adjustment, he may do amazing things with regularity, if he doesn't...who knows. He can get anywhere he wants to with the ball, that is a gift that can be worked with, so time will tell.

More worried about the poor play by Fitzgerald - Bad defense and poor offense Hurt is much better right now.

I believe with time, he can become a very good point guard, as he has the passing skills. However, I’m very concerned about the body language. He needs to change that NOW. Pouting and not cheering on your teammates is completely unacceptable. That is completely within his control and would show that he cares about the team. It is so important to maintain good chemistry. That’s my $.02.

The rush to judgment never ceases to amaze me. The implication of selfish play just seems way out of bounds as well. He is in game 9 of his college career at the hardest and most important position on the floor. The hype that was largely created by us was too much. Completely unrealistic to expect an undersized point guard to come in and dominate in the first month of his freshman year. If he is able to endure the learning curve, he will be a great player. Moonlight is right that the tough early schedule doesn't help. He is a freshman who I hope has some sense of perseverance in him. I remember Mason's first two years were at mercurial. Super one game and almost completely absent the next. I'm glad he stuck it through.

I totally agree with this, especially the part where you say I am right ;)
I've been very impressed with him at times. I remember how much Pitino had to work with Dupree about looking dejected when things werent going his way. Confidence and equanimity is a critical aspect of a player's game and development.

I believe with time, he can become a very good point guard, as he has the passing skills. However, I’m very concerned about the body language. He needs to change that NOW. Pouting and not cheering on your teammates is completely unacceptable. That is completely within his control and would show that he cares about the team. It is so important to maintain good chemistry. That’s my $.02.

A pretty common mantra in sports is that the two things you control are your attitude and effort. He is struggling with the concept of not being a superstar anymore and it is affecting his attitude. I agree that this is something that needs to get addressed and I feel confident that Pitino and the seniors will get him back in the fold. As others have pointed out we are still in the early part of the season and for IW he is just now seeing what things are going to be like against tougher competition.

Dimes will be fine, he had some nice feeds into post that Lynch couldn't quite handle. He also saved us Vs Providence, kept that game from getting out of hand. I still think him and Harris win a game of 2v2 Vs Wright and Davison

I don't buy the selfishness narrative either. I may be misremembering, but I don't recall him taking a lot of wacked-out terrible shots. He's a confident guy, and he sees himself making the next shot, and in his mind that'll help the team. Against Miami, his line would have looked a lot better had he sunk the bunnies and other make-able shots that he knows he can make. The thing he's missing is the bigger picture of the point guard position: getting everyone involved for the sake of getting everyone involved. It's no coincidence that this team wins and thrives when it has a lot of assists.

I'd much rather see him with 8 assists and 4 points other than the reverse

The early BIG 10 slate and Providence, Alabama, Arkansas games are not for developing kids for a team that has to have those victories. Pitino's rotation last night was an interesting one where he played only those he trusted, or who he HAD to because of fouls, which is a very short list right now. IW will benefit from a couple more non cons after these next to games so he can get a bit more time in the system and find his stroke. Pitino is not interested in him working his way out of his funk with a B1G 10 Title on the line.

I coach 4th grade boys basketball and something we have zero tolerance for is pouting and not being supportive of teammates. As others have mentioned attitude and energy are under your own control, they require zero skill, so there is no excuse for either to be lacking. If my players are unable to provide energy and support for their teammates they are told to go and sit by their parents....and it works every time. I understand he's a young man putting immense pressure on himself but I will never support players who are so selfish as to only be happy when they are performing at 100%. Make your mistakes, get back into the play and try and make an impact the next time you are in the game.

I have a very good player on my team who i've not seen miss two shots in a row the entire season go 0-12 this weekend. He as clearly down so I challenged him to change the game defensively and set screens for his teammates.....he did just that and ultimately we won because of his efforts. At age 18 you have enough hair on your chest to get over missing a few shots that you normally make...it's time for Jelly to realize he's a big boy now and work through his bad games.

Dimes will be fine, he had some nice feeds into post that Lynch couldn't quite handle. He also saved us Vs Providence, kept that game from getting out of hand. I still think him and Harris win a game of 2v2 Vs Wright and Davison

Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily translate to 5v5 success.

I coach 4th grade boys basketball and something we have zero tolerance for is pouting and not being supportive of teammates. As others have mentioned attitude and energy are under your own control, they require zero skill, so there is no excuse for either to be lacking. If my players are unable to provide energy and support for their teammates they are told to go and sit by their parents....and it works every time. I understand he's a young man putting immense pressure on himself but I will never support players who are so selfish as to only be happy when they are performing at 100%. Make your mistakes, get back into the play and try and make an impact the next time you are in the game.

I have a very good player on my team who i've not seen miss two shots in a row the entire season go 0-12 this weekend. He as clearly down so I challenged him to change the game defensively and set screens for his teammates.....he did just that and ultimately we won because of his efforts. At age 18 you have enough hair on your chest to get over missing a few shots that you normally make...it's time for Jelly to realize he's a big boy now and work through his bad games.

Great post!!

Washington will grow more from this experience than if he'd come in and everything had gone his way.

He took one (!) shot last night and made it. I guess it's fair to critique his body language, but I don't think we should being saying things like he only is out to "get his." I have watched every game so far and admit I haven't focused on his response to every situation all the time, but in the times that I have noticed his frustration have mostly been tied to calls from the referee or frustration about his own failure to execute.

I'd much rather see him with 8 assists and 4 points other than the reverse

So you're saying you'd rather have a guy produce more points for his team? Thanks, very helpful.

8 assists + 4 points=20 points created minimum, 28 maximum

4 assists + 8 points=16 points created minimum, 20 points maximum.

So you're saying you'd rather have a guy produce more points for his team? Thanks, very helpful.

8 assists + 4 points=20 points created minimum, 28 maximum

4 assists + 8 points=16 points created minimum, 20 points maximum.
You read that backwards

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You read that backwards

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No, I didn't. You made a comment saying you'd rather have 8 assists and 4 points. That is true for every player ever because it produces more points.

Top Bottom