Washington looks miserable

I mean . . . what his shooting percentage?

This whole bit is such a joke. Stop comparing him to Wright. Colorado had literally nobody else to play PG and the level of competition they have played is horrible. The one quality team they played (Xavier), beat them by 30. Washington is playing behind an All-Big Ten PG on a tournament team. Colorado won't sniff the NIT

This whole bit is such a joke. Stop comparing him to Wright. Colorado had literally nobody else to play PG and the level of competition they have played is horrible. The one quality team they played (Xavier), beat them by 30. Washington is playing behind an All-Big Ten PG on a tournament team. Colorado won't sniff the NIT

They did win @ Drake. Too early to compare IW and Wright at this time, but if one had to choose it's a no brainer to pick Wright.

I mean . . . what his shooting percentage?

36%...not a great number but Dupree, for example, is shooting 38%. In fact, IW's stat line is pretty identical to Dupree's even while playing 7-8 less minutes per game.

Lonnie Walker from that Miami team we played a few weeks ago is also a freshman coming off the bench and is projected to be a top 20 NBA pick. He's averaging 10 PPG to IW's 7.5 and playing 3 minutes more per game. His stat line against the only decent team he has played against (us) is 6 pts on 2-8 shooting.

IW will be fine. He got a bit too amped up for the Miami game (understandable). Other than that, he's been fine for a freshman. No one remembers how raw Nolan or Mason looked.

I wouldn’t necessarily say IW is unhappy or pouting. I think it may be he just has a larger lower lip.

They did win @ Drake. Too early to compare IW and Wright at this time, but if one had to choose it's a no brainer to pick Wright.

The Drake game was a neutral site (Paradise Jam in VA), but the comparisons are silly when you look at the schedules between the two teams and the roles that each are asked to play. I think IW would have similar numbers (shooting pct aside) if on that Colorado team.

The Drake game was a neutral site (Paradise Jam in VA), but the comparisons are silly when you look at the schedules between the two teams and the roles that each are asked to play. I think IW would have similar numbers (shooting pct aside) if on that Colorado team.

Why on Earth would shooting % be aside? Probably the best comparison for guards.

Wright: 50% FG; 74% FT; 39% 3-pt.
IW: 36% FG;70% FT; 13%

Why on Earth would shooting % be aside? Probably the best comparison for guards.

He literally said shooting percentage is the difference....

And I personally look to assist:turnover as a better sign of a guard’s acumen than their fg percentage through the first handful of games as a freshman. That said I’m not sure how IW and Wright compare there. But remember how poorly Dupree shot freshman year? Now he’s hitting 40% from three, even after a terrible high volume game against Drake. Sometimes it takes an adjustment or two to show out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short sample size for shooting %s can be real tough when you’re not a high volume shooter (not saying this is full cause) but if a guy is a 40% shooter taking 3 3s a game, your confidence interval will be real wide for any short term finite sample

This is the rhetoric that needs to stop right now. Davonte Fitzgerald has been atrocious. If you think IW has been atrocious you need to overhaul your expectations.

Well, then go on and make the argument that his atrocious stats aren't reflective of his actual play.

Well, then go on and make the argument that his atrocious stats aren't reflective of his actual play.

He has certainly had his struggles and obviously the Miami game was a disaster for him when he was thrust into a starting role but atrocious is way too harsh for how he has played. It is taking some time to make the adjustment to the college game but you can clearly see the kid has a ton of talent.

If Wright is shooting 39% from the three I don't care who he is playing for that is amazing, definitely not his strength, to bad he isn't a Gopher.

IW is shooting 36% from the floor is not great.

don't think anyone would try to imply he has been great to this point, but he has not been as terrible as some fans want to make him out to be either. Bottom line is he is a young kid, struggling to make the transition, but one that has a ton of talent and hopefully will turn into a really good player for us in the future. There are going to be growing pains with any kid that is not a sure fire top flight NBA level talent.

IW is shooting 36% from the floor is not great.

And to make make matters worse (much, much worse), he jacks up shots at a higher rate than anybody else on the team. He's averaging 17.7 shots per 40 minutes. I mean, holy friggin' sh*t! Murphy, Mason, Coffey, McBrayer, and Lynch are respectively averaging 16.1, 15.2, 13.1, 11.9, and 10.5 shots per 40.

There are going to be growing pains with any kid that is not a sure fire top flight NBA level talent.

I only wish he was a serviceable player à la Mason and Nolen when they were freshmen.

I only wish he was a serviceable player à la Mason and Nolen when they were freshmen.

I think he is more than serviceable. He has great handles and can get whatever shot he wants. He's also a very good passer, especially in transition. Unfortunately the Gophers running game has ground to a halt but its not due to him.

Major adjustments to the college game and limited minutes behind a key player often result in uneven play. The 3 pt % will climb.

It is pretty obvious that IW's statline cannot touch Wright's at this point, but very different situations so hard to compare off of stats alone (btw, Wright almost had a triple double last night). I haven't seen enough of IW in extended minutes (outside of Miami and one other game), but it appears he may have some more gifted talents than Wright, but unfortunately PG's need to bring much more than just raw talent to the table. That is the part that I don't see in IW over Wright (even if Wright wasn't from MN)...I know IW is supposed to take a backseat to Mason this year, but I don't see the toughness, game flow decisions, shot selection choices, and PG savy that makes talented guards into bigtime PG's. That is my concern with IW, not whether or not he is talented enough. Many of those things come with seasoning and coaching, so some of this will be in Pitino's hands. He obviously wanted IW more than Wright, so let's see if he is able to mold him into a great PG. Mason has progressed nicely!

You're a ****ing moron, if you actually watch ****ing morons. I have watched ****ing morons for more years than you've been alive, so trust me.
One of the most moronic GH posts ever, and there have been oh so many from which to choose.

Just saw him smiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to read what Plinnius has to say about IW's performance tonight. I continue to be pleased by IW's development. Has shown that he has great vision. Doesn't turn it over often. When things begin to slow down for him he's going to be great. It'll probably happen next season (when he has more playing time), but it will happen.

Oh, and this is in reference to IW apparently not being "serviceable" (as a true freshman). Hot take Plinnius.

He had some awesome passes tonight. Missed layups, bigs not ready for alley oops and fouls took away assists but he played very well. Hit some shots and played well defensively.

Top Bottom