NBA Executive on if theres a place for Murphy in the NBA: "For sure there is"

die hard gopher

Reaction score
NBA Executive on if theres a place for Murphy in the NBA: "For sure there is"

Mods, you can decide to move this if you want. Thought the headline was deserving of it's own thread.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/...g-stock-at-early-juncture-of-season-111461540

If this were a Player of the Year story, you could make a case for Minnesota’s Jordan Murphy at No. 1 or No. 2 in the country. Murphy, a junior, has been as productive on both ends of the court as any player in the country, pumping in 21.4 points and 12.5 points a game.

The biggest question is how he fits into the NBA. The league has certainly gotten smaller the past couple of years and it’s one of the reasons I see a fit. I asked one NBA executive if there was a place for him in the league and he said, “for sure there is.” Murphy stands 6-foot-7 and is a tough, physical and aggressive forward that is playing with endless energy. Murphy has recorded a double-double in all eight of Minnesota’s game and he’s raised his averages significantly in every statistical category since last year.

Long term, adding a jump shot would be key for him, another NBA executive said. He’s taken just eight threes on the season (making two) and is 2-for-2 on mid-range jump shots. It’s too early to know if it’ll be this year or next, but based on how he’s currently playing, there’s a place for him in the NBA.

Murphy was a three-star recruit and the No. 167 overall player in the class of 2015 per the 247Sports Composite.

Reminds me a little of Dejuan Blair a few years back, but better.

Mods, you can decide to move this if you want. Thought the headline was deserving of it's own thread.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/...g-stock-at-early-juncture-of-season-111461540

The biggest question is how he fits into the NBA.

Long term, adding a jump shot would be key for him, another NBA executive said.

I love Jordan Murphy's college game, but I am not sure what position he could play in the NBA. Too short to play power forward, needs to improve his shooting and ball handling to play small forward. I can't see him making an NBA roster with his current skill set.

There definitely may be a place for him in the NBA but the good news for us is that he shouldn't be viewed as a lottery pick so odds are very good he will be back for next season even if he continues on the pace he is currently on. Averaging a double double is not easy to do no matter who you are playing and he is getting them against good teams and bad ones.

Also rebounding is a skill that translates well to the next level.

d'ohkay after tonight.

Yep. Might want to cool it on the NBA talk after he and Reggie got thoroughly punked by cellar-dwellars Nebraska.

Yep. Might want to cool it on the NBA talk after he and Reggie got thoroughly punked by cellar-dwellars Nebraska.

I think our starters are talented and Murph and Coffey have a shot to play in the league but last night is a good example of why people should stop worrying about guys leaving early (more in Amir's case than Murphy's obviously). In truth Nebraska's bigs match up with ours pretty well. Their center is every bit as big physically as Reggie is and Copeland is a lanky stretch 4 that could stick with Murphy. You would hope we would still be able to handle them but just wasn't meant to be.

He just needs to get better at passing out of a double team which he showed last night he either struggles with that or chose not to. He'll get better at that as the season goes on and more teams learn how to play against him.

He just needs to get better at passing out of a double team which he showed last night he either struggles with that or chose not to. He'll get better at that as the season goes on and more teams learn how to play against him.
Last night reminded me of what happened to Ethan Happ midway through last year.
Hopefully we adjust better than Wisconsin did

Top Bottom