Player Improvement Impressive

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
It looks like virtually every player on the team has improved since last season. Hurt and Coffey are bigger. Mason and Coffey are shooting better all around and from long range. Murphy improved his dribbling and strength. And so on.

Only depth issues or injuries will prevent a top 3 Big Ten finish. This will be a fun season!

Biggest issue I had with Tubby was that players didn’t seem to improve under him.

The Coaching staff has taken a team full of “3 stars” and developed a final four caliber team imo.. makes me wonder what he could do with those 1 and done the blue bloods work with every year

It looks like virtually every player on the team has improved since last season. Hurt and Coffey are bigger. Mason and Coffey are shooting better all around and from long range. Murphy improved his dribbling and strength. And so on.

Only depth issues or injuries will prevent a top 3 Big Ten finish. This will be a fun season!

You didn't mention Lynch. He is better as well. He's improved as a scorer and he doesn't foul as much.

Lynch's improvement in avoiding fouls, especially the really stupid ones, is impressive. I honestly did not expect him to significantly improve in that aspect this year.

I agree! Obviously this coaching staff knows what they're doing. It always blows me away when certain coaches or schools get the reputation of being the place to go for a certain part of their game. When were recruiting you hear people say Purdue really developes centers. Painter gets credit for guys that are sure nba players. Just because they are NBA players before they even get to their school doesn't make the coach great at developing them. I used to have two friends who were Hoosier and illini fans. They used to argue who sent more to NBA Bobby knight or Lou Henson. I'm like I'm pretty sure Nick Anderson or isaiah Thomas were NBA players before they got to school. I think kids should realize pitino is good coach and should want to come here. I'm not completely sold on certain coaches or programs being ticket to NBA. Either your NBA player or your not NBA player.

You didn't mention Lynch. He is better as well. He's improved as a scorer and he doesn't foul as much.

He started avoiding the stupid fouls late in the year last season but has been amazing to watch him still be an aggressive shot blocker but not get into foul trouble. Can tell he really worked at it over the offseason. Scary to think of just how good this team could be right now if Curry had not gotten hurt.

He started avoiding the stupid fouls late in the year last season but has been amazing to watch him still be an aggressive shot blocker but not get into foul trouble. Can tell he really worked at it over the offseason. Scary to think of just how good this team could be right now if Curry had not gotten hurt.
Except for in the MTSU game... But still agree, in-season improvement is another great sign from Pitino coached teams.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

This is a cousin to the "Washington looks miserable" thread. IW's going to find himself a whole lot happier once he's developed a well-rounded game. As we were saying walking back from the game last night, Washington spent last off season devising ways to look spectacular. He'll spend the coming off season devising ways to play college basketball.

Biggest issue I had with Tubby was that players didn’t seem to improve under him.

He's gone. Move on.

You don't have to shovel sh1t onto old coaches in order to praise the current one.

He's gone. Move on.

You don't have to shovel sh1t onto old coaches in order to praise the current one.

So I should never discuss anything that happened before Richard got here?

Tubby had a lot of good seasons and some great players. They didn't improve under him as much as they should have, or at all in some cases.

Your responses to things are so strange. It is a Gopher forum. I referenced a former Gopher coach and his former players. Seems pretty on-topic to me.

This is a cousin to the "Washington looks miserable" thread. IW's going to find himself a whole lot happier once he's developed a well-rounded game. As we were saying walking back from the game last night, Washington spent last off season devising ways to look spectacular. He'll spend the coming off season devising ways to play college basketball.

I think this is accurate. His talent is undeniable but they need to harness it. He tries to do things he can't do and gets himself in trouble.

He seemed much more controlled last night and looked better defensively. Knocked down an in-rhythm 3 from the corner. I didn't care for his "look" at the ref after getting called for a foul on the steal he had (might have been a bad call) but at least he was defending someone.

So I should never discuss anything that happened before Richard got here?

Tubby had a lot of good seasons and some great players. They didn't improve under him as much as they should have, or at all in some cases.

Your responses to things are so strange. It is a Gopher forum. I referenced a former Gopher coach and his former players. Seems pretty on-topic to me.

The topic is the improvement of players under Pitino. What is the purpose of bringing up Tubby, other than to get in a gratuitous chance to rip him?

Why not discuss how much players improved under Bill Musselman or L.J. Cooke? That information is equally relevant to the improvement of players under Pitino.

If you want to discuss how players improve under Tubby, find a Memphis forum and post there.

This is a very coachable team. Even one of the assistants (Ryan Livingston) suggested that in Brooklyn. When they run their offense, they way that they can, this team is hard to stop. So little standing around and jacking a shot late in the shot clock... Refreshing.

I really like the way players seem to improve under the guidance of Pitino. It reminds me of the progression of players during the Musselman and Dutcher eras. And you could include Haskins in there as well. Unlike the stagnancy of players during the Monson and especially Tubby eras, where no player ever improved and most regressed.

I really like the way players seem to improve under the guidance of Pitino. It reminds me of the progression of players during the Musselman and Dutcher eras. And you could include Haskins in there as well. Unlike the stagnancy of players during the Monson and especially Tubby eras, where no player ever improved and most regressed.

Oooooo.... I see what he did there.....

Wow. If you want to rip on former coaches go to a Memphis or Long Beach State forum.

Top Bottom