Big Ten Bowl Games Thread

You can choose to believe it or not and tell a story of how it would or wouldn't help.

If you want to argue it doesn't help. You say, "we want everyone in our division to be worse than us, so we are the best".

If you want to argue that it does help, you say "People continuously call us a weak division to the point we don't get CFP bids. Until we start consistently beating nationally known programs, they won't think we're good, so we need our division to win these games to change that perception".

And you can make many more arguments for both sides if you work at it hard enough.

Not really a logical argument though. Wisconsin losing would still give them 12-2 record on the season and they'd finish as a top 10 or so team, worlds ahead of the Gophers or any team in the B1G West for that matter. Wisconsin losing that game would do absolutely nothing to help the Gophers as Wisco is still going to continue to be far and away a better program for the foreseeable future.

Wisconsin winning helps the B1G as it gives our conference more national respect and recognition that only helps Minnesota when recruiting. "Come be apart of the greatness that is the Big Ten brand and compete in the best conference in the country" is an easy selling point especially when pulling recruits out of different parts of the country. Conference prestige also helps us with bowl placement as this program hopefully continues to improve year after year under Fleck.

We are at least 2 years away from competing with Wisconsin. I really hope we can get there but damn that is going to be a tough climb.
We really need to stop the classy ****. It's not like Minnesota had been classy of late. What did Clayes get fired for?

We are at least 2 years away from competing with Wisconsin. I really hope we can get there but damn that is going to be a tough climb.
We really need to stop the classy ****. It's not like Minnesota had been classy of late. What did Clayes get fired for?

The "classy" ends whenever you take your child to a game at Williams arena and after one bad call the crowd starts the B.S. chant.

I'm a Big10 homer - glad to see the Badgers win; 7-0 now and up to Michigan to make it a clean sweep. But watching MSU, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State - and with Nebraska likely to be revived by Frost - it's going to be awhile before the Gophers are in the mix. Patience is a virtue.

I'm a Big10 homer - glad to see the Badgers win; 7-0 now and up to Michigan to make it a clean sweep. But watching MSU, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State - and with Nebraska likely to be revived by Frost - it's going to be awhile before the Gophers are in the mix. Patience is a virtue.

There were a couple games that we could have won this year. Fewer injuries and a couple surprises from the new incoming players and who knows?

I have said it before, and will again. The vast majority of folks that are not hard-core Gopher fans think PJ is a joke. He may get the last laugh, but the national media poking at him is not surprising at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so far from the truth. You’re hatred for Fleck is embarrassing, you’re simply making tings up now. PJ Fleck’s reputation around the country is that of a good football coach.

I know I’ve said this before, and will again. The vast majority of people on gopherhole think you’re a joke. You may get the last laugh, but 90% of gopherhole posters poking fun at you for your childish takes and lies about Fleck is not surprising at all.

This is so far from the truth. You’re hatred for Fleck is embarrassing, you’re simply making tings up now. PJ Fleck’s reputation around the country is that of a good football coach.

Did I say he wasn't a good coach? Facts show he is. That doesn't mean he isn't viewed by some, many, or most (IMO) as a joke. And when I say joke I don't mean not authentic (although I could make an argument for that, see paycut), I mean like a clown. I mean seriously, if your boss at work talked like PJ what would you think?

Not being Kaler and Coyle's guy. Unless you think the first time Coyle talked to Fleck was in December.

And you're complaining about people not being classy. :rolleyes:

Particularly for people without Season Tickets.

The "classy" ends whenever you take your child to a game at Williams arena and after one bad call the crowd starts the B.S. chant.

BS is nothing compared to what you hear or are subjected to at a Wisconsin game.

Did I say he wasn't a good coach? Facts show he is. That doesn't mean he isn't viewed by some, many, or most (IMO) as a joke. And when I say joke I don't mean not authentic (although I could make an argument for that, see paycut), I mean like a clown. I mean seriously, if your boss at work talked like PJ what would you think?

I really only know one person in my area of operations who follows college football enough to know who Fleck is, but he loves the guy. I find Fleck’s whole persona annoying, so I’m not trying to go to bat for him. I hope he succeeds despite his weird slogans and his thumbs up bro demeanor.

The YouTube video has dozens of likes, but no dislikes. Same with NBC's coverage. Dozens of YouTube likes, no dislikes.

Oh no. Now Spoofin is going to spend his New Years Eve pressing “dislike” on every video with PJ Fleck that he can find on YouTube.

Oh no. Now Spoofin is going to spend his New Years Eve pressing “dislike” on every video with PJ Fleck that he can find on YouTube.

LOL. That was pretty funny.

FTR, I don't know how anyone could dislike the Justin Juenemann situation.

Not being Kaler and Coyle's guy. Unless you think the first time Coyle talked to Fleck was in December.

And you're complaining about people not being classy. :rolleyes:
I thought it might have something to do with taking the players side of a classy act of training a girl.

Jimminy Crickets! Happy New Year Spoofin! Have some alcohol. It is good to have some anti-freeze in the blood on New Year's eve.

Jimminy Crickets! Happy New Year Spoofin! Have some alcohol. It is good to have some anti-freeze in the blood on New Year's eve.

I don't drink. It makes me cranky and cynical.

2018 is going to be all motherhood and apple pie from me.

I live outside of MN and my experience has been the opposite. Most think it was a great hire. Maybe you just know hundreds of thousands more people than me?

Exactly the same as my experience. Haven't heard one person refer to him as a 'joke' either.

Not really a logical argument though. Wisconsin losing would still give them 12-2 record on the season and they'd finish as a top 10 or so team, worlds ahead of the Gophers or any team in the B1G West for that matter. Wisconsin losing that game would do absolutely nothing to help the Gophers as Wisco is still going to continue to be far and away a better program for the foreseeable future.

Wisconsin winning helps the B1G as it gives our conference more national respect and recognition that only helps Minnesota when recruiting. "Come be apart of the greatness that is the Big Ten brand and compete in the best conference in the country" is an easy selling point especially when pulling recruits out of different parts of the country. Conference prestige also helps us with bowl placement as this program hopefully continues to improve year after year under Fleck.

Freudian slip? :cool02:

I really don't care how the B1G is viewed as a conference. I don't like WI and wish they would have got destroyed.

I enjoy cheering for Big Ten teams in Bowl Games and the NCAA basketball tournament.

I enjoy cheering for Big Ten teams in Bowl Games and the NCAA basketball tournament.

Yep, me too. Unless it's blood or geographically close rival, such as we have with Wisconsin, it probably works that way across the country.

Even in the SEC, where everybody seems to pull for everybody, Auburn and Alabama fans probably aren't.

I really don't care how the B1G is viewed as a conference. I don't like WI and wish they would have got destroyed.

This.
I’ve cheered for Miami twice in my life, they were playing Wisconsin both times.

We weren't good when Wisconsin sucked and we aren't good now. Whether Wisconsin wins or loses to Miami has no affect on Minnesota becoming good.

This response makes zero sense and I doubt you are qualified to tell someone what they said is wrong anyway. I read somewhere you need to meet very specific requirements to do such a thing, Glenn.

I certainly don't act like many fans of the SEC who seem to think Alabama's success equals success for their team as well. But I do think there is some benefit to recruiting when the conference you play in is viewed positively.

Top Bottom