Big Ten Bowl Games Thread

For the teams in the SEC West, they play Alabama close and they end up a top 15 team.

I certainly don't act like many fans of the SEC who seem to think Alabama's success equals success for their team as well. But I do think there is some benefit to recruiting when the conference you play in is viewed positively.

Fair enough. Me, I'd still rather WI get curb-stomped every week and risk the chance it may make the conference look weaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough. Me, I'd still rather WI get curb-stomped every week and risk the chance it may make the conference look

I saw my first Gopher football game in 1968. So needless to say. It pains me to write but I think the Gophers are "light" years from ever competing with Becky. Sorry to say but I enjoyed their win over the "convicts" more than any other Big Ten win. The Miami coach - what a jerk- should be fined thousands of dollars for grabbing the official, especially since a Kt. Player was ejected for refusing help to get back up. Not sure we had any defensive players - other than Winfield - and perhaps Richardson who would have played for Becky. Now unless we get a whole lot better on the defensive side of the ball, I don't see us competing.

Maybe the official should be fined thousands of dollars for throwing the player out for such a minor thing. I really hope there was more to it. We’ve all known officials where calling them pompous asses is insulting to pompous asses.

I would argue officials ought fined for missing obvious and game changing blown calls...particularly when replay is involved.

I enjoy cheering for Big Ten teams in Bowl Games and the NCAA basketball tournament.

I generally feel the same way, although I am having a conundrum over the Outback Bowl. Somewhat like those disliking PJ's slogans, I have always disliked Harbaugh's schtick. I am having a hard time bringing myself to root for Michigan and an unblemished bowl record for the B1G. I am thinking that it would be a good comeuppance for Harbaugh to be the only one to lose a bowl game this season, especially when he's favored by over a touchdown.

I generally feel the same way, although I am having a conundrum over the Outback Bowl. Somewhat like those disliking PJ's slogans, I have always disliked Harbaugh's schtick. I am having a hard time bringing myself to root for Michigan and an unblemished bowl record for the B1G. I am thinking that it would be a good comeuppance for Harbaugh to be the only one to lose a bowl game this season, especially when he's favored by over a touchdown.
Does the B1G Ten lose the Conference Bowl Championship if Michigan loses?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Does the B1G Ten lose the Conference Bowl Championship if Michigan loses?

Probably not.

Regardless, people in Big Ten Country see things more clearly then SEC country, so I'll be pulling for Michigan regardless.

This one is easy: always root against the SEC. There just is no other way to compute it.

The SEC’s success has clearly made you respect them more.

Michigan defeating an 8 point dog in USCarolina isn’t going to move the perception needle. Michigan beating Alabama would move the needle. Luckily or not this year the Big Tens top teams were locked out of the big bowls and everything slid down a notch of competition. Have we (Big Ten) had any upsets? Purdue over Arizona maybe? Any others? I hadn’t looked at the lines other than SC/OSU.

Oklahoma and Clemson need to take care of business.

Ohio State and So Cal were very easily on par with the top 4 CFP. The system is the system, and it locked both out. But that doesn't mean they weren't.

It's been 15 years since the Big Ten has won at least 2 more Bowl Games than they lost. In the last 10 years they are 33-52. Having losing records in 6 of the seasons, breaking even once, and having two winning seasons. They went 4-3 and 6-5. There were many reasons for Big Ten fans to claim how inherently slanted the Bowls were against Northern teams.

Now they are 7-0 and we have plenty of people eager to claim how invalid it all is.

Yep, those are our fans! ;)

It's been 15 years since the Big Ten has won at least 2 more Bowl Games than they lost. In the last 10 years they are 33-52. Having losing records in 6 of the seasons, breaking even once, and having two winning seasons. They went 4-3 and 6-5. There were many reasons for Big Ten fans to claim how inherently slanted the Bowls were against Northern teams.

Now they are 7-0 and we have plenty of people eager to claim how invalid it all is.

yup agree. Only Minnesota fans would say It's an invalid or weak 7-0.

GHers love to invalidate certain victories. This is nothing new. 7*-0

It’s not invalidation. Southern teams clearly have an advantage playing many to most of their bowls in their backyards. Pointing that out doesn’t invalidate the record, but it plays a role.

If you think national perception is somehow shaped by a single season of results that’s fine, but I’d disagree. These things change slowly, like changing a super tanker’s heading. OSU getting locked out of the CFP is far worse for conference perception than the Big Ten losing 1,2, or 3 minor bowls. Now if we had lost 7 or 8 of the bowls it would be a total catastrophe so there’s that.

Fair enough. Me, I'd still rather WI get curb-stomped every week and risk the chance it may make the conference look weaker.

I agree when it comes to Wisconsin.

In the past, the guys at ESPN have criticized the Big Ten for the conference's performance in the bowl games (rightfully so). Now that the conference has looked really good, they've downplayed it as much as they can and rip the conference for the non-conference results.

Why did they even start up an SEC network when ESPN was already essentially the SEC network?

Ohio State and So Cal were very easily on par with the top 4 CFP. The system is the system, and it locked both out. But that doesn't mean they weren't.

Easily? Disagree. So Cal won an incredibly poor PAC-12 this year in which they were beat by a smoke and mirrors WSU and then got boat raced by Notre Dame. OSU got steamrolled AT HOME by OU and blitzed by a mediocre Iowa squad. Neither was deserving of consideration in the current playoff system.

I await your infantile, Trump-copying WRONG response with great anticipation.

OSU was very inconsistent. The defense I saw the last two games could have beaten anyone.

In the past, the guys at ESPN have criticized the Big Ten for the conference's performance in the bowl games (rightfully so). Now that the conference has looked really good, they've downplayed it as much as they can and rip the conference for the non-conference results.

Why did they even start up an SEC network when ESPN was already essentially the SEC network?

Correct -- CBS and ESPN are in the bag for the SEC. And the latter for the ACC.

Would like to see the PAC and Big Ten work more and more with FOX, if they prove to be a willing (ie, matching the $$$) broadcast partner. The BTN is partly owned by FOX, and when the PAC eventually wises up, it will realize that it needs a broadcast partner to take a major stake in the PAC network in order for it to get wider carriage.

Neither was deserving of consideration in the current playoff system.

You misunderstood my point, which is my fault for poorly wording, fine.

I wasn't saying that Ohio St and USC should have qualified, per the system rules. No. I was saying that Ohio St and So Cal, at the end of the regular season, were (and I argue still are) as good of teams, on the field, as the final four.

Harbaugh completely changed the momentum when he tried to get cute by lining up his TE in the fullback position, who then fumbled the hand-off. South Carolina has scored two quick TD's since.

Harbaugh completely changed the momentum when he tried to get cute by lining up his TE in the fullback position, who then fumbled the hand-off. South Carolina has scored two quick TD's since.

They lost the lead now. That was a huge momentum changer.

Brandon Peters having a very DC11-like day except his receivers occasionally catch and his line can block for more than two seconds. Let’s see if they can come back over the last 7 minutes.

Lol...muffed punt. Turns it over to USC. Michigan likely going down with the way they’re playing right now.

Four turnovers in the second half for the fighting khakis.

The Wolverines are pulling the Big Game Choke for.... South Carolina.

Top Bottom