Big Ten Bowl Games Thread

The biggest factor for Purdue this year was their defense not being terrible. Believe they started seven seniors on D.

With all the Croot’ talk around here it’s interesting to see Purdue improve from one Big Ten win last year (and 3 total the prior 3 years) to 4 this year including @ Iowa. Massive talent infusion:

Big Ten recruiting rank
2017: 14th
2016: 14th
2015: 14th
2014: 13th
2013: 13th

Can anyone isolate something that may have changed at Purdue this season?

They are an outlier is all. Maybe an updated "talent ranking" will fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sindelar - 247 composite was 0.8565
Demry Croft - 247 composite was 0.8531

Far better QB play will get your more wins.

Watching Purdue finish off Arizona right now. It is so clear in watching this that their offensive talent is so much better than ours right now. They have multiple solid QB's, some good receivers, and some playmakers in the backfield.

That and they had two very good linebackers this year. Bentley reminds me of a bigger and faster Damien Wilson.

Cotton Bowl
Ohio State vs USC

Orange Bowl
Wisconsin vs Miami

Fiesta Bowl
Penn State vs Washington

Outback
Michigan vs South Carolina

Holiday Bowl
MSU vs Wash St

Music City
Northwestern vs Kentucky

Pinstripe
Iowa vs Boston College

Foster Farms
Purdue vs Arizona

Our of those 8, I'd assume the Big Ten is favored in 6 or 7.

Purdue and Iowa won.

No? That's why they only won seven games.

Glancing at the S&P+ numbers for Purdue:

Offense: 94th
Defense: 99th
Overall: 105

2017:
Offense 73rd
Defense: 28th
Overall: 41

That’s an impressive improvement no matter how you slice it. In year 1 no less, the transition year. Overall the squad wasn’t senior heavy and as pointed out above the the team isn’t talented vs prior years. Teams don’t usually make such large jumps up or down as Purdue and MN made in 2017. Outliers? 2018 will be interesting, 2019 even moreso.

The biggest factor for Purdue this year was their defense not being terrible. Believe they started seven seniors on D.

In the end they were 1-2 games better than the Gophers and like you said they had a bunch of seniors including at least one Graduate Transfer from Western Kentucky. I expect them to go backwards on defense next year. Remember they still lost to Nebraska and Rutgers this year. It's amazing the perception of two very similar teams.

Will be interesting to see if he is available at the start of next season.

I agree. He has a strong arm and made some impressive plays during the year. Blough will be back too, Sindelar seemed to claim the job in the game vs the Gophers.

Purdue looked very good last night. AZ is a high-scoring team. Boilers lost to NW and Badgers, but weren't blown out as we were. Overall, a very good season for them.Beat Iowa and Missouri and a good Ohio U team.

In the end they were 1-2 games better than the Gophers and like you said they had a bunch of seniors including at least one Graduate Transfer from Western Kentucky. I expect them to go backwards on defense next year. Remember they still lost to Nebraska and Rutgers this year. It's amazing the perception of two very similar teams.

Nothing similar about the differences from '16 to '17, which I believe is the point. Brohm did exactly what so many think was unrealistic for PJ to do. Long-Term is what matters, and our recruiting will likely close that gap, but the job each did in 2017 isn't similar in any way what-so-ever.

With all the Croot’ talk around here it’s interesting to see Purdue improve from one Big Ten win last year (and 3 total the prior 3 years) to 4 this year including @ Iowa. Massive talent infusion:

Big Ten recruiting rank
2017: 14th
2016: 14th
2015: 14th
2014: 13th
2013: 13th

Can anyone isolate something that may have changed at Purdue this season?

The new chrome helmets...had to be that, right?

Nothing similar about the differences from '16 to '17, which I believe is the point. Brohm did exactly what so many think was unrealistic for PJ to do. Long-Term is what matters, and our recruiting will likely close that gap, but the job each did in 2017 isn't similar in any way what-so-ever.

'16 has very little if anything to do with '17, especially with new coaches.

'16 has very little if anything to do with '17, especially with new coaches.

Doesn't it matter that the conversation you entered was about the improvement Purdont made from '16-'17 and not one comparing their '17 season to ours? Everything I posted still applies whether or not you like the conversation topic.

Purdue took 5 JC's in 2017 and also had 5 transfers into the team. 9 of the 10 were listed on the 2 deeps and 4 of them were starters. Brohm did a nice job filling gaps and complementing the other 20 Jr's and Sr's he had in the two deeps this year.

Purdue took 5 JC's in 2017 and also had 5 transfers into the team. 9 of the 10 were listed on the 2 deeps and 4 of them were starters. Brohm did a nice job filling gaps and complementing the other 20 Jr's and Sr's he had in the two deeps this year.

Hmm, coach stuff.

Like I said above, one year is a data point, two is a line, three is a trend. Can’t judge until year 3-4 but round 1 was a decisive victory for Brohm.

Hmm, coach stuff.

Like I said above, one year is a data point, two is a line, three is a trend. Can’t judge until year 3-4 but round 1 was a decisive victory for Brohm.

I fully agree. Gopher fans may be pleasantly surprised next year and Purdue fans let down.

I fully agree. Gopher fans may be pleasantly surprised next year and Purdue fans let down.

Purdue's offense will be good next year but their defense will take a hit. Hard to sustain success when you lose so many seniors.

Now I’m really confused. Is it age, experience, or talent? Is there a weighted breakdown of importance? Does a team of bilge-level talent but composed of upperclassmen perform at a mid-Big Ten level? Seniority is good for a 5 or 6 spot jump in Big Ten rankings?

Can you link the two deep you’re referencing?

Bentley was .8478 on the composite so not very good, right?

Probably pretty similar to Damien Wilson right? Both very good players and they both exceeded their rankings.
I think the point you are trying to make is that rankings don’t matter and Brohm took a team with average talent and had a decent season.
Purdue also had more overall talent and depth on defense then this year’s Gopher team. Look at their two QBs who were both much better than what the Gophers had. Look at their wideouts who made tough plays on 50/50 balls as well.
Minnesota will get there again but he amount of talent that was lost due to transfers and being kicked off the team combined with the lack of talent on Oline, WR and QB were on full display this year.

Now I’m really confused. Is it age, experience, or talent? Is there a weighted breakdown of importance? Does a team of bilge-level talent but composed of upperclassmen perform at a mid-Big Ten level? Seniority is good for a 5 or 6 spot jump in Big Ten rankings?

Can you link the two deep you’re referencing?

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/purdue/91717.

Watching Purdue over the years, IMO they have had some athletes, their coaching was obviously bad.

Rated an 83 by 247. Where does that put him in our LB crew?

I really feel bad for you, spoofin, and pmwin, when your days consist of posting the same thing over and over again. You truly have sad lives. :drink::drink: Here’s a couple for ya.

Top Bottom