Big Ten Tourney Tickets

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Plan on going to NY for the tourney with 3 others. Any advice on tickets? Are they cheaper thru Gopher ticket office for STH? Buy them on secondary market when we get there?

My guess is they will be doing everything they can to get people there. I have to imagine getting decent tickets will be very easy.

I think its awesome you are going. As a Gopher fan, this is the year to go.

Yeah should be a great time. So much to do and see in New York but dang the hotels are expensive.

VRBO etc. ...many options. Stay away from Time Square hotels. New York is always worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plan on going to NY for the tourney with 3 others. Any advice on tickets? Are they cheaper thru Gopher ticket office for STH? Buy them on secondary market when we get there?

I've been to BTT multiple times and there a few things that are absolute no matter the location. Since the advent of the five day tournament, you can be assured you can pick up a ticket on the street for basically nothing for Wednesday (play-in games) and Thursday. Arena 1/4 full on would be a lot. Friday you still have a good shot but the crowds are much bigger. Saturday is the hardest day to get a ticket. All of the variables are adjusted somewhat based on who is playing. Since there is functionally no home team in NYC, a Purdue or Indiana or Illinois semifinal appearance won't radically alter the market like it would in Chicago or Indy.

I'm risk averse and have always pre-purchased tickets through ours or another ticket office, but be forewarned, anticipate screw-ups of some kind from our ticket office. Distribution is based on Gopher Score, so if yours isn't high, you will likely end up on the third deck with your seats, but poaching is pretty easy the first couple of days, depending on the vigilance of the security people.

I'm not sure what to expect in NYC. At first I thought demand might be higher because guys would be bringing their wives for a weekend in NY, but my sample size is proving that untrue so far. Crowds were way down last year in DC. I'd expect them to be better at MSG, but who knows.

We're in a VRBO about a half mile from MSG that six of us are paying about $125/night. Not likely to find anything better in a hotel. Prices there are higher than any I've seen anywhere.

I've always found the tournament to be a great time. It's mostly hard core basketball people and few obnoxious bandwagon jumpers. Expect a few idiots from Wisconsin and Ohio State, but they really are the exception. It works great for me because I don't have the flexibility in my schedule for the NCAA's.

Top Bottom