Vic Viramontes on Sports Huddle.

I was just trying to add some facts to your post. From now on I won't bother unless I disagree with you. And, by the way, the U.S News ranking can't be so easily dismissed since it is far more than just a popularity contest. University presidents don't ignore it because they love to publicize their US News ranking whenever it goes up.

You guys crack me up when you talk academics. Players may pay lip service but 90% don't care. I 100% guarantee VV chose Minnesota because he knows he can come in and start. 100%

I don’t really like that he went on the show.

I found it kind of odd that they would have him on. Don't ever remember having a recruit on before. I agree I really don't like it.

Obviously you're welcome to your opinion, but so long as Coach Fleck was OK with it I'm OK with it (assuming he knew).

I think it's actually kind of nice - it promotes some optimism around the program after a pretty dismal year.

And as others have mentioned, this does happen in actual "college" markets. Just haven't seen it here.

I'm not sure he's going to be the savior of this program, but I look at how many games this team struggled due to the lack of passing ability even a reasonable improvement would mean a lot.

I'm also not trying to say he's Aaron Rogers, but you look at the difference a quality QB can make in an offense (example Green Bay with and without Rogers) a good QB can hide a lot of ills. If the passing game is competent, teams aren't stacking the box as much. If he can pass on the run the deficiency in the line doesn't show up as much, if the offense moves the ball the defense isn't on the field 45 minutes a game (slight exaggeration)

I will also say, as much as Sid was joking about bringing with a WR, in a case like this I almost would think about it (assuming academics, etc. are OK). He's already got a rapport with him, it's not like there are a ton of great options here, it almost seems like a no-brainer...

You guys crack me up when you talk academics. Players may pay lip service but 90% don't care. I 100% guarantee VV chose Minnesota because he knows he can come in and start. 100%

^^^ Gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For many, but not for all. A smart kid is going to be concerned about the value of his degree. They know that 98% of college players don’t play in the NFL. And even the majority of the ones that do make it to the NFL, eventually need to rely on their degree to make a living for the majority of their lives.

I was just trying to add some facts to your post. From now on I won't bother unless I disagree with you. And, by the way, the U.S News ranking can't be so easily dismissed since it is far more than just a popularity contest. University presidents don't ignore it because they love to publicize their US News ranking whenever it goes up.

Well of course ... it's the most widely read ranking. IE, the most popular among prospective students. So of course if you do well on it, you'll advertise it to those considering applying to your university.

Doesn't make it accurate.

There won't be that much pressure on VV as Gophers QB. Gopher fans will just be happy if he can hit open receivers and not turn over the football. It is not a lot to ask of a Big 10 QB. Most of the pressure will be on Fleck and his staff to recruit receivers who can get open and hang onto the football. The Gophers haven't had a full complement of quality Big 10 wide receivers and tight ends for quite awhile. That was the biggest failing of Kill and Claeys after their pathetic QB recruiting.

Not too concerned about PJ and his staff bringing in and developing WR’s. Good track record.

Perhaps this is correct among his finalists.

But it does mean that he might not have given Mississippi any serious consideration, even if they had no obvious starting QB and were recruiting him.

It may just be me but I can't help but like a QB recruit who received offers from UC Berkeley and Michigan and now has ended up at the U with three years of eligibility left. I have to believe that self confidence and learning the playbook are not going to be problems for him.

It may just be me but I can't help but like a QB recruit who received offers from UC Berkeley and Michigan and now has ended up at the U with three years of eligibility left. I have to believe that self confidence and learning the playbook are not going to be problems for him.

It doesn't sound like he is a drama queen like someone we know.

Perhaps this is correct among his finalists.

But it does mean that he might not have given Mississippi any serious consideration, even if they had no obvious starting QB and were recruiting him.

He dropped out of Cal to attend Riverside Community College. He would have looked at Mississippi. He is looking for a football fit. This is not a knock on him. As mentioned below, he appears to be smart enough to attend good schools but clearly he wants to play next year.

It doesn't sound like he is a drama queen like someone we know.

We don't know if VV is a drama queen or not but I will take one them over someone who is ignorant and a hypocrite with a poor value system. People like that are everywhere in society and are very commonly found on on internet message boards. However, I don't think we will have to worry that Fleck will recruit that kind of player.

He will break Mitch and Weber's 4-year records in 3 years.

He dropped out of Cal to attend Riverside Community College. He would have looked at Mississippi. He is looking for a football fit. This is not a knock on him. As mentioned below, he appears to be smart enough to attend good schools but clearly he wants to play next year.

Sure, I can buy that.

I don't agree he "dropped out", which implies that he couldn't hack it academically at Berkeley. It's just nice to see academics have at least a factor in it. It's really of limited use arguing about this.

Sure, I can buy that.

I don't agree he "dropped out", which implies that he couldn't hack it academically at Berkeley. It's just nice to see academics have at least a factor in it. It's really of limited use arguing about this.

Yes, I agree. "Dropped out" is completely wrong. If anything VV looks strong academically.

Not to mention that Cal, despite being the top public U, has had some of the worst football grad rates in the country.

Not to mention that Cal, despite being the top public U, has had some of the worst football grad rates in the country.

I think transfers screw that up. IE, a transfer counts as a player you brought in who didn't graduate from your school. Lo and behold, Mr. Viramontes ...

There seems to be a certain amount of logic that the highest rated and/or most academically challenging colleges would have lower football grad rates than many other schools.

There seems to be a certain amount of logic that the highest rated and/or most academically challenging colleges would have lower football grad rates than many other schools.

Northwestern, Notre Dame and Stanford are all tops in GSR so that logic doesn’t hold.

What were his other options? Compete to start for a 1 win Kansas team or maybe third string on a 6 win Ole Miss team with a bowl ban.

Seems to be very confident in his abilities and determined to be a P5 QB. Told by MI (wanted him to play LB) and Cal (coaching change where he didn’t ‘fit’) that he isn’t good enough. Hope to see that on the field. Maybe the leadership of Leidner with an increase in speed and passing proficiency? Just what we need!

RE: academics.

Seriously, if you hooked 100 D1 football players up to a lie detector, and asked them whether academics played a significant role in their choice of a school, I would bet that maybe 4 or 5 out of 100 honestly considered academics as a factor.

For everyone else, it's either playing time - liked the coach/coaching staff - or thought that school would help them move on to the NFL.

I'm not saying they don't go to class or don't care about academics - I'm just saying it's not a significant factor. maybe if two programs are equal in the eyes of the player, academics might be a tie-breaker, if one school offers a certain major and the other school does not.

But, IMHO, when D1 recruits talk about academics, the vast majority of them are doing so because they think it sounds good, or someone told them to talk about academics.

It's not a significant factor, for those 95 or 96 out of 100, just like you said.

For those 4 or 5 out of 100, it is a significant factor. I think VV happened to be one of those.

Seriously, if you hooked 100 D1 football players up to a lie detector, and asked them whether academics played a significant role in their choice of a school, I would bet that maybe 4 or 5 out of 100 honestly considered academics as a factor.

For everyone else, it's either playing time - liked the coach/coaching staff - or thought that school would help them move on to the NFL.

I'm not saying they don't go to class or don't care about academics - I'm just saying it's not a significant factor. maybe if two programs are equal in the eyes of the player, academics might be a tie-breaker, if one school offers a certain major and the other school does not.

But, IMHO, when D1 recruits talk about academics, the vast majority of them are doing so because they think it sounds good, or someone told them to talk about academics.

You really sell short the intelligence of D1 football players. I am not saying that they would attend a “good” academic school even if they didn’t like the coach. It is the whole package, with academics being one of the factors for more players than you assume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found it kind of odd that they would have him on. Don't ever remember having a recruit on before. I agree I really don't like it.

I agree, but only because dealing with Sid must be frightening for a kid from Cali.

SON did you change your meds? You're very negative lately :) All kidding aside, I
think the players that look at academics is over 25%.

The Players themselves might not seriously take the academic part as much into their main consideration compared to other factors, but you better believe it's a huge deal for their parents! The vast majority of parents are trying make sure their kids are getting into the best situation possible to set them up for success down the road.

There's a difference between it being a top factor and it being a factor. I think your number is too low.

Top Bottom