Vic Viramontes on Sports Huddle.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB recruit Vic Viramontes appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Sunday, Dec 3rd.

Max: what attracted you to MN?
VV: Coach Fleck - his culture and energy. this staff is going to do something special. I also like the academics at MN.

Sid: Michigan offered you. how close did you come to going there?
VV: went on official and unofficial visits to Michigan. At the same time, the Coach at Cal was recruiting me hard. My family and I thought Cal was a better opportunity.

Mona: If you sign with MN, you would come here right after the holidays?
VV: correct

Max: you rushed for over 1,000 yards this year. Do you see opportunities to run the ball at MN?
VV: I feel like I'm a good fit for the offense

Mona: what offensive style did you run at your JUCO?
VV: ran QB power option read -also ran some sets under center, like an NFL offense.

Max: what was the ratio of under center to shotgun?
VV: under center probably 10 times a game. rest of the snaps in shotgun.

Sid: what sold you on MN?
VV: coach Fleck and his staff are doing something special. all the players on the team are buying in. love the energy he brings. how he talks about being spiritual. very demanding coach. he'll make me become a better man

Max: did you watch the B1G title game
VV: no

Mona: do you think you have a Feel for B1G?
VV: yes.

Mona: know any receivers who might want to play at MN?
VV: I do have a lot of people hitting me up, asking if they can come along. (laughs)

Sid: when are you going to enroll?
VV: January 11th.

Sid: were you influenced by the number of fortune 500 companies in MN? (????????????)
VV: yes. it's all about networking, connecting with people. perfect opportunity for me.

Thanks, shorty. He is a key to turning the program around. He gave a good interview. I feel more optimistic. I like the Annexstad kid too. I think he is the future past VV, but you never know who may commit in the future. Things are indeed looking up. Fleck had a short fuse on this recruiting class. We haven't seen what he can do yet.

Thanks for the recap Shorty. Very much appreciated!

I think SON should get Sid's gift certificates to Murray's Steakhouse for doing such a good job.

I don’t really like that he went on the show.

I don’t really like that he went on the show.

Why, recruits are interviewed all the time for articles, just not that often are they done live on the radio. Any positive press that we can get I think is a plus. And, it also shows VV that we're excited for him to join the crew.

A lot of expectations being placed on VV. Seems like the kind of kid who can take that. Hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of expectations being placed on VV. Seems like the kind of kid who can take that. Hope so.

Agree 100%, ton of expectations on him. I don't think he's a program saver like many of you on here, but he certainly can be a piece of the puzzle. I remember when Seth Green signed many were sounding like he would be the program saver...now many say he should switch positions or hit the door. Pretty harsh for a kid who is from the area.

I'm excited for VV, but I don't know if it really means it's any more pressure than any other starting QB job.

Maybe here in MN we're just usually expect less, so the idea of running an offense in which we throw it to WR's consistently (and maybe with success) is something that seems like a lot of pressure for VV, but really it's just our optimism which has been squelched before.

On paper, he has potential for being rated a high 3* and generates a lot of excitement albeit far from being a savior.

We won't know until he starts Spring and Fall training/scrimmages. The game speed and opposing defense talent levels will be better and faster than what he faced at JUCO. But, he appears to have all the intangibles, the will to succeed, and he appears to be quick and decisive.

The whole team has question marks. We have to many moving parts that we do not know will work well together yet. Next season is going to be a very challenging learning experience.

PJ Fleck's third season is where I'd expect to see huge progress.

On paper, he has potential for being rated a high 3* and generates a lot of excitement albeit far from being a savior.

We won't know until he start Spring and Fall training/scrimmages. The game speed may be faster than JUCO. But, he appears to have all the intangibles, the will to succeed, and he appears to be quick and decisive.

Being quick is either good or bad. If he is getting intercepted a lot is a bad thing. We shall soon see.

The whole team has question marks. We have to many moving parts that we do not know will work well together yet. Next season is going to be very challenging learning experience.

Third year would be the year to expect it because our 2015 class will almost lose nothing with them graduating.

We won't know until he start Spring and Fall training/scrimmages. The game speed may be faster than JUCO. But, he appears to have all the intangibles, the will to succeed, and he appears to be quick and decisive.

Being quick is either good or bad. If he is getting intercepted a lot is a bad thing. We shall soon see.

The whole team has question marks. We have to many moving parts that we do not know will work well together yet. Next season is going to be very challenging learning experience.

Ratings don't mean anything.

Thanks, shorty. He is a key to turning the program around. He gave a good interview. I feel more optimistic. I like the Annexstad kid too. I think he is the future past VV, but you never know who may commit in the future. Things are indeed looking up. Fleck had a short fuse on this recruiting class. We haven't seen what he can do yet.

:rolleyes:

Short fuse...how so?

No problem with him going on the radio show. It shows he can handle the attention and is ready to lead. Happens a lot in other college towns, not much with our “pro” press because it is beneath them to talk to college recruits.
Great college QB’s are not fragile about handling the pressure to come in and be the starter.

There won't be that much pressure on VV as Gophers QB. Gopher fans will just be happy if he can hit open receivers and not turn over the football. It is not a lot to ask of a Big 10 QB. Most of the pressure will be on Fleck and his staff to recruit receivers who can get open and hang onto the football. The Gophers haven't had a full complement of quality Big 10 wide receivers and tight ends for quite awhile. That was the biggest failing of Kill and Claeys after their pathetic QB recruiting.

Guess it should be no surprise that U of Minn academics were a factor. Went on official with Michigan (tops in Big Ten and believe top public in the country) and ultimately settled on Berkeley (one of the top public in the country).

Kansas is a good public too, but more in the range of an Iowa, down from Minn. And goes without saying that Mississippi is way down.

Thank goodness you’re here, to shout down anyone who dares question them and not provide any arguments or thoughtful discussion about it!

No one asked you. I don't owe you or anyone else anything.

Guess it should be no surprise that U of Minn academics were a factor. Went on official with Michigan (tops in Big Ten and believe top public in the country) and ultimately settled on Berkeley (one of the top public in the country).

Kansas is a good public too, but more in the range of an Iowa, down from Minn. And goes without saying that Mississippi is way down.

UC Berkeley is rated No. 1 and Michigan is No. 4 according to US News & World Report. The U is rated the 25th best public university.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

USNWR is just a PR popularity contest. It's not any kind of rigorous ranking.

Michigan is #1 and Berkeley is #2 for USA publics, according to QS 2018. Look, they're both right at the top when it comes to publics in the country. Not worth arguing over.

USNWR is just a PR popularity contest. It's not any kind of rigorous ranking.

Michigan is #1 and Berkeley is #2 for USA publics, according to QS 2018. Look, they're both right at the top when it comes to publics in the country. Not worth arguing over.

I was just trying to add some facts to your post. From now on I won't bother unless I disagree with you. And, by the way, the U.S News ranking can't be so easily dismissed since it is far more than just a popularity contest. University presidents don't ignore it because they love to publicize their US News ranking whenever it goes up.

Top Bottom