What has happened to the women's team?

Women's hockey is a bit different than men's in that in an Olympic cycle year (which this is), various national teams often take some of the best players from the best programs. In the Gophers' case, that means no Kelly Pannek, Sarah Potomak or Amy Potomak for this year. With those three gone, the team is challenged offensively. That's not the only reason for the downturn, but it's a big part of the equation.

Also, the defense is (for the most part) extremely young and erratic. They often make bad mistakes that result in goals. Goal tending isn't where it needs to be either, but Alex Gulstene is still a star in the making.

Add it all up and the team has some big time holes. But with how Frost recruits, once he gets Pannek and the Potomak sisters back next year, the team will score more. Add to that the arrival of some really good recruits for next year (Taylor Heise for example), and the program won't be down for long. There's simply too much talent committed in the pipeline for them not to eventually get back to their lofty perch.

Will be they be as good as before? Who knows. But they will be back among the nation's very best within the next few years.

Women's hockey is a bit different than men's in that in an Olympic cycle year (which this is), various national teams often take some of the best players from the best programs. In the Gophers' case, that means no Kelly Pannek, Sarah Potomak or Amy Potomak for this year. With those three gone, the team is challenged offensively. That's not the only reason for the downturn, but it's a big part of the equation.

Also, the defense is (for the most part) extremely young and erratic. They often make bad mistakes that result in goals. Goal tending isn't where it needs to be either, but Alex Gulstene is still a star in the making.

Add it all up and the team has some big time holes. But with how Frost recruits, once he gets Pannek and the Potomak sisters back next year, the team will score more. Add to that the arrival of some really good recruits for next year (Taylor Heise for example), and the program won't be down for long. There's simply too much talent committed in the pipeline for them not to eventually get back to their lofty perch.

Will be they be as good as before? Who knows. But they will be back among the nation's very best within the next few years.

Thanks, I wondered if some Olympic thing was in play.

They often make bad mistakes that result in goals. Goal tending isn't where it needs to be either, but Alex Gulstene is still a star in the making.

If Gulstene turns out like we hope, our team should be in very fine shape!

Hopefully, next year:D

Also, the defense is (for the most part) extremely young and erratic. They often make bad mistakes that result in goals.

I agree, but I think the future is bright for the two freshman and two soph defensemen that are getting so much ice time (except when Robinson is hurt). Emily Brown and Olivia Knowles, the two rookies, I expect to develop into excellent players.

I agree, but I think the future is bright for the two freshman and two soph defensemen that are getting so much ice time (except when Robinson is hurt). Emily Brown and Olivia Knowles, the two rookies, I expect to develop into excellent players.

I agree. Simply saying they're going through growing pains adjusting to Division I hockey.

Frost has recruited up a storm over the past few years, so much so that there have been complaints from opposing fans that he's hording all the top talent. When's the last time you heard that about a Gopher athletic program? Bottom line is that there is an abundance of talent on this roster and coming to the program over the next few years. It's just very young talent at this moment.

They'll be just fine in coming years.

OK, now convince me the Don shouldn't be gone.

Top Bottom