Who should get the last CFP spot? Ohio State or Alabama?

Who should get the last CFP spot? Ohio State or Alabama?

• Ohio State should get in the CFP

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Alabama should get in the CFP

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters
USC won their conference and their 2 losses were to ranked teams. Plus, USC beat Western Michigan, a team that I'm told quickly rose to prominence.

I did almost say USC but thought I would get laughed at here. Although their losses are "better" than tOSU's losses, they don't have any real impressive wins. tOSU beat two top 5 teams I believe (don't quote me on that...).

Honestly I think bama would beat both tOSU and USC silly. It's just a personal preference that only conference champions make the playoffs. Which is why in this poll I chose tOSU. I don't think they are the better team but that's why we play the games. tOSU won the games they needed to get to the conference championship, bama didn't.

Weak wins are factors, but still wins. Bad losses should be bigger factors. Auburn was not a bad loss. Oklahoma was not a bad loss. Iowa was a horrible loss. The committee should pick Bama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weak wins are factors, but still wins. Bad losses should be bigger factors. Auburn was not a bad loss. Oklahoma was not a bad loss. Iowa was a horrible loss. The committee should pick Bama.

Using that logic shouldn't Clemson be out too?
Losing @ Syracuse is a whole different world of horrible than losing @ Kinnick.

Using that logic shouldn't Clemson be out too?
Losing @ Syracuse is a whole different world of horrible than losing @ Kinnick.

I'm comparing tOSU to AL.
Also, FYI, 31>3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Alabama is the better team. OSU is a bit down this year and i think Wisconsin would get beat badly by any of the other three teams.

This year UCF deserves the shot. Everyone else is too flawed. WI is more deserving than OSU based on one game that was 6 points. SEC is overrated this year. PAC-12 is probably a little underrated.

1. UCF
2. WI
3. USC
4. OSU
5. Alabama

Bama has a 4 game non-conference that includes Mercer.
They have one less win than WI
There loss was to a 3 loss team who will be ranked 10th or lower.

Wisc played 3 non-conf
Has more wins than Bama

I'm not sure Alabama is more deserving than WI after Auburn lost today.

Wisconsin is not even in the conversation. No team that lost their last game of the season or was not in a conference championship game should be in the conversation.

We'll know in two hours.
It seems to me that the single biggest principle of the CFP comittee is that each conference gets one "rep", and one conference gets left-out.

Alabama could be the best team in the country. We don't really know because they really only played Auburn. There is no way to put them in without effectively "breaking" the playoff. There is a lot of evidence that suggests the Pac12 and Big Ten were the two overall strongest P5 conferences this year. And we leave them both out?

This is probably how we go to 6, 8, 16, 24, then 32.

Wisconsin is not even in the conversation. No team that lost their last game of the season or was not in a conference championship game should be in the conversation.

I think that's the way the comittee looks at it too.
They see the playoffs as really beginning in Mid-November.
Right or wrong, that would mean Alabama is out, and it would look like this:

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Alabama

Like Wanstead said last night.

Big picture -- if they don't go with UCF, then they're saying there's never going to be a chance for a non P5 school to get to play in the championships. This would further fuel the conversation of the P5 becoming their own football division. This may be what the committee members want -- for the non-P5 to be separated from the P5. This way P5 could legally change rules to their benefit (e.g., start paying players) and cement them as being the top conferences in the country. I hope it doesn't happen, but big money drives football, and there's a lot of big money interests represented on the committee (e.g., the PAC12 doesn't want the Mountain West cutting into their TV share just like the B10 doesn't want the MAC to get too popular and so forth).

To me, if you don't win your conference you shouldn't be in the conversation. Would make the committee's job easier, just pick the one that is out.

OSU. Conference champ and more difficult schedule. Finally, the SEC bias stops. If you don’t produce in your conference, you are done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First I don't think the committee really wants to put in two teams from one conference if they can avoid it. Second, I think Georgia's win over Auburn, who just beat Alabama, sealed the Tide's fate. Buckeyes get in, IMHO.

Big picture -- if they don't go with UCF, then they're saying there's never going to be a chance for a non P5 school to get to play in the championships. This would further fuel the conversation of the P5 becoming their own football division. This may be what the committee members want -- for the non-P5 to be separated from the P5. This way P5 could legally change rules to their benefit (e.g., start paying players) and cement them as being the top conferences in the country. I hope it doesn't happen, but big money drives football, and there's a lot of big money interests represented on the committee (e.g., the PAC12 doesn't want the Mountain West cutting into their TV share just like the B10 doesn't want the MAC to get too popular and so forth).

Much more likely they expand the playoffs to eight, giving G5 the opportunity to get in.

First I don't think the committee really wants to put in two teams from one conference if they can avoid it. Second, I think Georgia's win over Auburn, who just beat Alabama, sealed the Tide's fate. Buckeyes get in, IMHO.

I also don't think the committee will put in 2 SEC teams even if the one on the outside if Alabama. My gut says they go Ohio State but also won't shock me to see them go Alabama. I also think a case could be made for USC but they seem to be on the outside looking in.

Don't think UCF has any shot at all of being considered.

I’m torn. Ohio St has more losses and their losses are worse than Bama’s. But Ohio St also has way better wins. Bama is 0-1 against the committee’s top 16. Ohio St is 3-1 against the committee’s top 16. It basically boils down to whether the committee places more value on bad losses or good wins.

Ohio St also has the conference championship in hand. But Bama is ranked number 1 in a lot of the advanced metrics.

I have no idea what the committee will do. I think I’d take Bama, but strong arguments can be made the other way.

Told ya

Ohio St's loss to Iowa and Wisconsin's loss to Ohio St kept the Big Ten out of the playoff this year. A stain on the conference. Sad

I really believe if they are going to do a playoff they need to move to at least an 8 tournament. No way should a conference champ be left out

Nice to know you can make the CFB playoff without beating anyone.

I think the committee got it right. If I was one of the other teams in the final four I would be more scared to play Alabama than Ohio State.

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

Turn to ESPN Selection Show at Noon EST.

The playoff is officially now stupid.
Clemson alrea beat Auburn. Why should they have to play Alabama.
Oh well, I have better thing to do on NYD than watch this imaginary "playoff" anyway.

Yep. Give me a bigger playoff bracket.

The fact the B1G representative in the semis got shut out the last two years probably didn’t help tOSU.

I like Mike Leach.

Now, let's see them clamor for an eight team playoff.

Maybe slots for P5 champs, and three at large to include other conferences.

You want the widest national interest and the widest audiences.

Otherwise, most college football fans will say why bother watch the playoffs and championship? It's always biased towards Alabama and other P5 teams.

Top Bottom