Who should get the last CFP spot? Ohio State or Alabama?

Who should get the last CFP spot? Ohio State or Alabama?

• Ohio State should get in the CFP

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Alabama should get in the CFP

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters
The playoff is officially now stupid.
Clemson alrea beat Auburn. Why should they have to play Alabama.
Oh well, I have better thing to do on NYD than watch this imaginary "playoff" anyway.

Not having a Big Ten team is going to turn off a huge portion of the country.

I doubt I'll tune in, either.

8 Team tournament

5 P5 winners
top G5 team
2 at-large.

Way too easy. You know what happens with solutions like that: humans get in the way.

Won't happen. Not any time soon. Maybe in 10-15 years from now.

Meh. You won't find me watching much CFP now. Not in protest or such. I just don't care about an SEC/SEC/ACC/B12 matchup.

The committee got it right. The only way a 2 loss team should get in is if both losses are “good” losses which wasn’t the case with OSU. Can’t lose to an unranked team by thirty and expect to be in the playoff. Alabama had one loss on the road to a great team.

The mugging by Iowee did tOSU in.

The committee got it right. The only way a 2 loss team should get in is if both losses are “good” losses which wasn’t the case with OSU. Can’t lose to an unranked team by thirty and expect to be in the playoff. Alabama had one loss on the road to a great team.

"Great team?" Interesting take.

"Great team?" Interesting take.

I spit out my coffee on that one, too.

Way too easy. You know what happens with solutions like that: humans get in the way.

Won't happen. Not any time soon. Maybe in 10-15 years from now.

Agreed. No matter what the number of teams, it will be wrong. Why bother? 4 works for me. 2 worked for me.

The same system has been used to name a champion, pick two for a championship game, and now pick four for the playoff. In the end, human beings pick the four based on "a gut feeling". The same exact system has been used for all "new and different ways" to do it, no matter how you dress it up, make it appear more complicated, and shine the sh!t out of it. Adding four more teams will add nothing, as teams 9-12 will bitch the same way 4-8 do now. And the same system will be deployed no matter how many teams qualify, because computer comparatives will never work either.

Even the 68 teams selected in March Madness eliminate legitimate qualifiers. 68 is not enough...

I just realized the Pac 12 and Big Ten got double flocked. No Rose Bowl for them either.

I spit out my coffee on that one, too.

Agreed. No matter what the number of teams, it will be wrong. Why bother? 4 works for me. 2 worked for me.

The same system has been used to name a champion, pick two for a championship game, and now pick four for the playoff. In the end, human beings pick the four based on "a gut feeling". The same exact system has been used for all "new and different ways" to do it, no matter how you dress it up, make it appear more complicated, and shine the sh!t out of it. Adding four more teams will add nothing, as teams 9-12 will bitch the same way 4-8 do now. And the same system will be deployed no matter how many teams qualify, because computer comparatives will never work either.

Even the 68 teams selected in March Madness eliminate legitimate qualifiers. 68 is not enough...

Yeah, the teams that are the first left out always complain. But when those teams are Power 5 conference champions, they have a real beef compared to the bubble teams in larger playoffs.

Right. If it was just the top 8 teams picked by a committee, then his point would be more valid. It's still valid, but to a lesser degree when it's automatically the five champions from the P5, plus the best G5 team. Then the two best P5 non-champions.

No West Coast either. It's a Southland playoff.

But west coast people don't watch their college football teams anywhere near the degree that they do east of the Rockies.

That is actually a true thing. Ratings for PAC games and the PAC network are much lower, for whatever reason. Guess they're too busy out there hiking or whatever it is they do out west.

Don't get me wrong, still much higher than like the American Conference games. Still a Power Conf, for sure. But not like the Big Ten, SEC, Texas/Oklahoma, and increasingly the ACC.

Three teams from the southeast region of the nation. This CFP becomes an event that most people will not care about.

Three teams from the southeast region of the nation. This CFP becomes an event that most people will not care about.

Ratings will tell the story. But I'm looking for them to be down this year, especially for the natty.

Auburn lost to the team we now know is #1, Clemson, in the first game of the season 14-6.

Lost at Louisiana State 27-23.

If they had won the SEC championship game, they'd probably be the #2 seed in the CFP. Think they ran out of gas after beating Alabama.

But certainly qualify as a "great" team .... unless you're using some definition of "great" that renders it meaningless. Have to guard against that ..... often on internet message boards, people argue because they're using their own definition of words.

SEC Bias. Remember when the CFP committee told TCU they couldn't be in the playoff because they didn't play in a conference championship? I do.

SEC Bias. Remember when the CFP committee told TCU they couldn't be in the playoff because they didn't play in a conference championship? I do.

And now the excuse is conference championships don't matter as much as record.

How's this for a "nuclear option". I give this a 0.0001% chance of happening. Mind you, I'm pulling it straight out of my rear end and throwing it against the wall.

- Big Ten and Pac12 withdraw from the CFP
- both conferences sign exclusively with FOX to broadcast their games
- Rose Bowl signs exclusively with FOX, and always takes the Big Ten and Pac12 champion, like the good ol' days
- Big Ten and Pac12 scoop up Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and maybe a few more from the Big 12 and/or Mountain West (if any)

Basically, you build a giant "great wall" and split the country right in two, for college football.

Glass half-full...chance for both SEC teams to get knocked out in blowout losses.

Right. The problem is there's no real criteria. Look, I would've rather seen OSU in than Bama, but that's only because I'm a B1G fan. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter all that much -- the whole thing is just frustrating because the process is so stupid. Every year they make up some new reason for leaving somebody out.

>Oh, you didn't play in your conference championship game. Well, this year is the 2nd time a team has made it after failing to win their DIVISION.
>Oh, an early loss is better than a late one. We've now got a team in who last their last game convincingly.
>Oh wait, head to head...oh wait, strength of schedule that...oh wait, the eye test.

What do they even talk about in that room?

This all comes back to the Mike Leach rant. You've basically got a bunch of people sitting in a room (most of whom know little about the nitty gritty details of football) trying to vote on prom queen.

Right. The problem is there's no real criteria. Look, I would've rather seen OSU in than Bama, but that's only because I'm a B1G fan. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter all that much -- the whole thing is just frustrating because the process is so stupid. Every year they make up some new reason for leaving somebody out.

>Oh, you didn't play in your conference championship game. Well, this year is the 2nd time a team has made it after failing to win their DIVISION.
>Oh, an early loss is better than a late one. We've now got a team in who last their last game convincingly.
>Oh wait, head to head...oh wait, strength of schedule that...oh wait, the eye test.

What do they even talk about in that room?

This all comes back to the Mike Leach rant. You've basically got a bunch of people sitting in a room (most of whom know little about the nitty gritty details of football) trying to vote on prom queen.

Committee member just said he saw ALA play more often and he felt they were the better team = eye test. Why bother with all these supposed criteria when it comes down to some yahoo and his feelings. I am not interested in the Hillbilly playoffs.

I would rank teams 4-12

4. UCF
5. Auburn
6.USC
7. Alabama
8. Ohio State
9. Wisconsin
10. Penn State
11. Miami
12.Washington

Honestly Wisconsin and auburn should have boycotted the conference title games. They’d have both been in the playoffs. Just don’t show up to the game. Pay the fine from the conference. Especially auburn who had already beaten the team they played handily.

Don’t understand why auburn is rated lower than Bama after beating them down just 8 days ago

Look at the committee membership. Eight of the twelve have no business selecting teams and the Big Ten didn't have a strong advocate after Alvarez rotated out of the group. Politics.

For mpls, don't worry. The Big Ten didn't quit playing football after losing out on Championships in years past. Life will go on and soon forgotten. Perhaps we will even get a small playoff expansion.

Top Bottom