Who should get the last CFP spot? Ohio State or Alabama?

Who should get the last CFP spot? Ohio State or Alabama?

• Ohio State should get in the CFP

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Alabama should get in the CFP

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters
The committee got it right. Easy call this year. BTW - Auburn is a great team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The committee got it right. Easy call this year. BTW - Auburn is a great team.

Which is why I disagree.
Auburn > Alabama
I watched the game.

If they had boycotted the conference title game they’d be in the playoff.

We don't really know how good AL is this year. Every team is different, year to year.. S&P suggests they are worse than recent vintage in percentile terms, for example.

Human bias heavily in play here.

I guess I have to be an Oklahoma fan this year.

Bottom line is there wasn’t a Big Ten team worthy of inclusion this year. You can’t lose two games by more than 2 TDS and still make the playoff. It happens. It’s not a big deal. Doesn’t mean anything other than the B1G didn’t have a great team this year. Next year is a new year.

We got the answer. The Iowa lost by 31 points was unforgivable and did tOSU in.

Maybe, they should start listening to Mike Leach about expanding the playoffs to more teams.

They Told TCU a couple years ago that they couldn't get in because the Big 12 did not have a championship playoff. You'd have to be a conference champion to get in.

So, how did Alabama get in and not the PAC-12 champ USC or American East Champ UCF who is undefeated?

Bottom line is there wasn’t a Big Ten team worthy of inclusion this year. You can’t lose two games by more than 2 TDS and still make the playoff. It happens. It’s not a big deal. Doesn’t mean anything other than the B1G didn’t have a great team this year. Next year is a new year.

Sure wish Delaney would leave us play 8 conference games then instead of 9, and schedule Mercer for OSU instead of Iowa.

That's what the SEC did and they got two teams. (4 non-conference games vs 3)

We got the answer. The Iowa lost by 31 points was unforgivable and did tOSU in.

Maybe, they should start listening to Mike Leach about expanding the playoffs to more teams.

They Told TCU a couple years ago that they couldn't get in because the Big 12 did not have a playoff. You'd have to be a conference champion to get in.

So, how did Alabama get in and not the PAC-12 champ USC or American East Champ UCF who is undefeated?
It's all BS. Clemson playing Alabama for the third year in a row means the fix is in. I say blow up the CFP and go back to playing bowl games then having the coaches vote on the prom queen. It is less corrupt than the current method.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's amazing how every year we end up with this perception that the SEC is somehow really something.
Then we look at their wins and they are against SEC teams who fired their coaches.

I like the unfiltered Mike Leach the Pirate.

He calls it for what it is. SEC biased BS. There is not a single B1G Rep after Alvarez was rotated out.

Mike Leach's point - If Div III & Div II, Div 1A, and the NFL have playoffs beyond four teams, why can't Div I?

It is also not fair to to the non P5 conferences.

I think there are monetary considerations with some conferences deeply embedded with certain sports networks, the SEC and ESPN in particular. The SEC Network is owned by ESPN! Guess what, the playoff selection was announced where on national TV? ESPN! How can you not think the fix is in? At least, the last two seasons (2016, 2017) by coincidence has two SEC teams. Do you think they were being objective in letting Alabama in this year, and exclude TCU a couple of years ago?

We are wondering about criminal corruption with Adidas in college basketball. What about football with media networks?

They should open up the playoffs to more teams, and led the football coaches association rank and vote the 16, 32, or 64 team field of schools. OR, include the outright champions of each conference with an automatic bid. Keep this process independent of ESPN and other sports network!

Sooner or later, this SEC/ESPN bias will kill fan post season playoff interest nationally.

It's amazing how every year we end up with this perception that the SEC is somehow really something.
Then we look at their wins and they are against SEC teams who fired their coaches.

Look I don’t know if the SEC has the best teams or not, no one does. But pretty much anyone who knows anything about college football will tell you that the SEC has the most talent

No matter what. Not having the big ten and pac 12 in the rose bowl sucks!! What happened to tradition?

I won't be watching either. This is stupid.

The solution is so simple too. Just expand to 8 teams. All 5 conference winners are automatically in.

The solution is so simple too. Just expand to 8 teams. All 5 conference winners are automatically in.

A 16 team playoff will be better so that you can have automatic bids to the 10 conferences plus 6 at large bids for independents and the highest remaining non champion ranked teams.

Look I don’t know if the SEC has the best teams or not, no one does. But pretty much anyone who knows anything about college football will tell you that the SEC has the most talent

I think they are excellent, but I don't see how you can tell if the SEC was better than the Big Ten or not.

Did OSU lose to Iowa and PSU lose to MSU because our middle of the road teams are way better than Miss St and LSU this year?
We have no way of knowing.

For some reason, Miss St is ranked like 17. That's Bama's best win.

On the other side we're blaming OSU for losing to Iowa and PSU didn't even get a breath of interest because they lost to MSU.

Do we know that Miss St is way better than Mich St?

It's nuts.

Watching an all-SEC Championship would be suck TV.

Committee member just said he saw ALA play more often and he felt they were the better team = eye test. Why bother with all these supposed criteria when it comes down to some yahoo and his feelings. I am not interested in the Hillbilly playoffs.

Not too interested in the Hillbilly playoff, either. An inflated pre-season rating for Bama turns into justification for picking them.

Not too interested in the Hillbilly playoff, either. An inflated pre-season rating for Bama turns into justification for picking them.

The whole committee is a joke.

They have their weekly meetings and they have about 200 computer monitors in the room as if they are really breaking down a lot of details.
In the end, they go Hillbilly on it.

The whole committee is a joke.

They have their weekly meetings and they have about 200 computer monitors in the room as if they are really breaking down a lot of details.
In the end, they go Hillbilly on it.

Probably supplied by ESPN and are just room decorations.

To be fair Fox has a majority stake in BTN so there are dueling commentators that may not be totally impartial.

As far as the talent thing OSU has more talent than anyone except Alabama. They have their own version of Good JT/Bad JT and their special teams have been a major liability all year. Turned it over 4 times at Iowa and the rest is history.

Final thought, last night I think we saw close to the peak of what a well-coached but less talented pro-style team can do vs a top 5 juggernaut program. Wisconsin doesn’t have the top to bottom athletes to consistently compete with the top programs or even the talent at near-elite programs like Stanford, even when that juggernaut is suffering with poor QB play.

A team like Nebraska that can recruit better than Wisconsin is more likely to have long term success in the West moving forward. As far as this team I’m hopeful Fleck can start winning and bring in those blue chippers we need to get into the top 20-25 level necessary to compete with the east teams. We need to meet and surpass what Wisconsin is doing recruiting-wise and Fleck is capable of that IMO.

That's where we are headed. The NCAA is all about $$$. Four more playoff games is probably something that they've had planned. But Leach is right. Four teams is not much of a playoff when you have multiple teams with a legitimate claim to a spot. I think expanding to eight teams would help.

To be fair Fox has a majority stake in BTN so there are dueling commentators that may not be totally impartial.

As far as the talent thing OSU has more talent than anyone except Alabama. They have their own version of Good JT/Bad JT and their special teams have been a major liability all year. Turned it over 4 times at Iowa and the rest is history.

Final thought, last night I think we saw close to the peak of what a well-coached but less talented pro-style team can do vs a top 5 juggernaut program. Wisconsin doesn’t have the top to bottom athletes to consistently compete with the top programs or even the talent at near-elite programs like Stanford, even when that juggernaut is suffering with poor QB play.

A team like Nebraska that can recruit better than Wisconsin is more likely to have long term success in the West moving forward. As far as this team I’m hopeful Fleck can start winning and bring in those blue chippers we need to get into the top 20-25 level necessary to compete with the east teams. We need to meet and surpass what Wisconsin is doing recruiting-wise and Fleck is capable of that IMO.

Lack of speed and a power running game with average QB is what you saw from WI last night.
They lacked secondary speed to matchup with OSU's WR's.

I was thinking the same thing last night watching WI. They can look dominant in smash mouth fashion, but in the end, you're fighting an uphill battle if you don't have playmakers.

Here's all you need to know when analyzing this:

Auburn would have had the same exact resume as Ohio State if they had won the SEC title game (bad conference loss @LSU and good non-con loss to Clemson) and they would have made it in for sure.

Clearly a statement against B1G Ten by leaving OSU out.

Here is what you really need to know. Last year they bumped a 1 loss OhSt over a 2 loss conference champion PSU. The same logic was used this year to put Bama in over OhSt. The committee needed to be consistent and they were.

Yep. With the B1G representative suffering beat down shutouts the previous two years, the committee wasn’t about to give the conference the benefit of the doubt.

An 8-team playoff would look like this:

Clemson-UCF
Oklahoma-USC
Georgia-Wisconsin
Alabama-Ohio State

Yep. With the B1G representative suffering beat down shutouts the previous two years, the committee wasn’t about to give the conference the benefit of the doubt.

Previous years had nothing to do with it. It's more that the best team in the Big Ten had two losses by double digits. A team with 2 losses has never made the playoff. I really think it's that simple.

Auburn would have had the same exact resume as Ohio State if they had won the SEC title game (bad conference loss @LSU and good non-con loss to Clemson) and they would have made it in for sure.

This doesn’t work because Auburn’s loss to LSU wasn’t by 31 points!

Not true at all.

In that scenario Auburn would have lost by an average of 6 points to teams with a combined record of 21-4 and an average FPI rank of 9.5.

Ohio State lost by an average of 23 points to teams with a combined record of 19-6 and an average FPI rank of 15.5.

Auburn also has a better SOS, and would have played and won more games against top 10 teams.

A two-loss Auburn team wins pretty much every single comparison against Ohio State. Better wins, much closer losses, stronger schedule...it's really not close.

Top Bottom