Who should get the last CFP spot? Ohio State or Alabama?

• Ohio State should get in the CFP

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Alabama should get in the CFP

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

BleedGopher

Reaction score

If they are going to stay consistent, it should be Alabama. It's similar to how Ohio St got in over Penn St last year

Should or will?
Best win: OSU x3 better than Bamas best
Worst loss: OSU vs Iowa by a wide margin
Add in OSU CC
On paper looks like OSU. By name committee will go Bama because they’re always good and they’ll justify it by having one loss and OSU having a way worse loss and not looking convincing in the win over Wisconsin or PSU

Alabama

As much as I hate them, Alabama were #1 almost all year and were #5. With #4 and #2 losing they should get to move up.

My guess at the matchups would be:

Clemson vs. Alabama (You know they want to spend the whole month of December talking, "REMATCH! REMATCH!" to high heaven)
Georgia vs. Oklahoma (#3 seed moves to #2 and Georgia leapfrogs Alabama for winning the SEC and for the rematch)

To be consistent, Bama. They took OSU last year even though they didn’t play in their conference championship game. And they passed on the B1G champ, PSU, because of the beat down loss to Michigan, similar to OSU’s beat down at Iowa.

I'm biased. Ohio State, Big10 champs. I hate the Buckeye's, but I hate Bama more.

Guys, it’s real simple: OSU was #8 and three teams ahead of them lost.

OSU will be #5 in the final ranking.

UCF is undefeated and they beat the extremely talented Terrapins. They should be in.

Ohio St has 2 losses, including a 30 point loss to Iowa.

It should be Bama

Bama has a 4 game non-conference that includes Mercer.
They have one less win than WI
There loss was to a 3 loss team who will be ranked 10th or lower.

Wisc played 3 non-conf
Has more wins than Bama

I'm not sure Alabama is more deserving than WI after Auburn lost today.

I do not care, but if OSU does not turn the ball over tonight, Wisconsin ends with three points....

Bama won four non-conference games including Mercer.

They won 4 games against coaches who were fired or just recently fired.
Plus he beat Vanderbilt.

9 quality wins.

Then LSU and MISS ST.

Look at Alabama’s schedule. Its similar to Wisconsin’s and they lost to the sole decent team. If they get in it’s more on brand name than resume this year. To be sure, they’re always very good but they did drop vs Auburn.

Ohio State had a bad loss but also more impressive wins vs PSU, Wisconsin.

The committee may have painted themselves into a corner on this one.

Ohio State had a great shot to grab the spot tonight, but their sloppy play prevented that. Two turnovers inside their own 20, Barrett missing a wide open guy for a TD before half, the blocked FG, another interception, then Barrett missing the wide open back late with a chance to seal the game...Wisconsin failed the eye test badly as an "elite" team worthy of a college playoff spot, yet Ohio State didn't stomp on them. This could/should have been something like a 42-3 tOSU win and then Ohio State would have had some momentum going in to the final selection meeting. As it stands, I can't imagine anyone concluding they are more worthy of a spot than Alabama who might be favored to win the thing in Vegas.

To me there is no wrong or right answer. I could argue either way. I personally think Alabama is the better team but I think they go with Ohio State for 3 reasons.

1.Ohio State did win the conference
2. A Big 10 team brings in more viewership. A second SEC team doesn’t expand the viewership.
3. If they pick Alabama, I would think they would want to avoid the possibility of an all SEC final and the only way to do that would be to drop Oklahoma to the 4 spot and I don’t see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are going to stay consistent, it should be Alabama. It's similar to how Ohio St got in over Penn St last year

The two are actually opposites. Had Auburn won the CCG it would have been the same. Alabama appears to be the third best team in the SEC in a very bad year for the SEC.

The two are actually opposites. Had Auburn won the CCG it would have been the same. Alabama appears to be the third best team in the SEC in a very bad year for the SEC.

If it's a very bad year for the SEC, what kind of year is it for the Big 10?

The Fox experts Smith, Leinert, and Wannstedt all said Ohio St. Wannstedt said his #5 was USC and most on ESPN said USC should be in the discussion between Ohio St and Alabama. I'd say it was evenly split between 4 guys on ESPN for Bama and Ohio St. Obviously, the safest happiest pick for non-partisan fans is Ohio St for the reasons U2 and some others stated. Two SEC teams and no Big Ten team doesn't feel right.
It would have been helpful had Ohio St dominated to a greater degree on the scoreboard but, Alabama, I don't think is a clear better choice...so hopefully Big Ten Ohio State gets the edge. Maybe it's a factor to the committee Barrett had surgery 6 days ago. He'll be healthier in a month.

Preeeetty confident that they’ll go with Bama. Wisconsin appearing weak all year despite not losing’ll hurt OSU’s chances with the committee IMO. And a lot of people think Bama is the best team in the country period, so that’s probably reason enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought for sure after the Iowa loss that the Bucks had no shot of making it. Now I think they have a decent shot. Bama's resume is very sconie like and not real comparable to OSU last year who had three top ten wins. It will come down to if the committee feels Alabama had an impressive enough body of work to over take a P5 champ in the rankings. I don't see how they can.

Perhaps with the wisdom of Solomon they will deny both fan bases and choose USC. They had two losses, both to quality teams. PAC -12 champ. Three victories over ranked teams.

The glass slipper doesn't fit!

Let me throw a wrench. Neither Bama nor tOSU get in. They are the step sisters.

Whiskey does. :pig: They are 12-0 regular season and have never been blown out.

tOSU did twice. Bama lost to a three loss team.

I am afraid tOSU and Bama are Cinderella's step sisters.

If it's a very bad year for the SEC, what kind of year is it for the Big 10?

All we really have to go on to determine how teams in different conferences stack-up is a conference's OOC performance. For the Big Ten it was a decent year.

Besides Alabama, and a couple of annual rivalries, the SEC has typically avoided playing other P5 teams OOC. This year they broke from that tradition somewhat. And it did not go well for them.

The Big Ten can be embarsssed by Northwestern's loss to Duke. But the SEC... oh my ... A&M lost to UCLA, FL destroyed my MI, MO crushed by Purdue, LSU lost to TROY. They had a lot of near-misses with bad FCS schools. This is just not the SEC of the early 2000's.

Alabama will probably get in as the precedence was set last year with tOSU getting in.

With that said (and I said this last year) you should have to win your conference to get in. Ohio state should get in ahead of Alabama. The selection committee should only be looking at teams that won their conference. Unfortunately that's not what they do.

Alabama will probably get in as the precedence was set last year with tOSU getting in.

With that said (and I said this last year) you should have to win your conference to get in. Ohio state should get in ahead of Alabama. The selection committee should only be looking at teams that won their conference. Unfortunately that's not what they do.

USC won their conference and their 2 losses were to ranked teams. Plus, USC beat Western Michigan, a team that I'm told quickly rose to prominence.

Top Bottom