Thank you!!! Ohio State.

Anyone know the amount of money the Big 10 lost by not having a final 4 team? Blame Iowa.

Anyone know the amount of money the Big 10 lost by not having a final 4 team? Blame Iowa.

Basically 2 million to be in other New Years 6 instead of playoff game (4 million payout instead of 6)

So 2 million / (14 schools + conference office) = 135k per school.

Are we really at the point where we can only gloat at our rivals' failings, not our own successes? SAD!

I hate the whole drunken state of Wisconsin so the Badgers losing is just bonus points.

Basically 2 million to be in other New Years 6 instead of playoff game (4 million payout instead of 6)

So 2 million / (14 schools + conference office) = 135k per school.

Projected $51.1 million distribution by B1G for FY 2018 so not too worried.

Actually, as weird as it seems, Big Ten made MORE money by how the bowls shook out. Reason is: the CFP semi’s only pay out $4M each. Orange and Fiesta pay more. Think Outback too, and Cotton maybe?

Actually, as weird as it seems, Big Ten made MORE money by how the bowls shook out. Reason is: the CFP semi’s only pay out $4M each. Orange and Fiesta pay more. Think Outback too, and Cotton maybe?

This is incorrect. The semis pay out a $6M bonus. All the other New Year's 6 bowls pay $4M. The B1G still gets the second most money from the big 6 bowls of any conference at $12M. SEC is the only one who gets more at $16M.

Incorrect. The semi's pay out $4M, the final pays out $6M. The NY6 bowls that aren't part of the four team bracket pay out what they normally pay out.

Incorrect. The semi's pay out $4M, the final pays out $6M. The NY6 bowls that aren't part of the four team bracket pay out what they normally pay out.

None of what you just said is correct

Pretty sure it is. If someone provides a legit link to the contrary, fine.

OK, $6M for the semi’s and none for the title game. I was wrong on that.

But NY6 bowls still give their standard payouts in years when they aren’t semi’s. That I was correct about.

There is no bonus for making the final. Just additional money for travel expenses. Read up on it:

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/9/20/1641497678_131504027204965649.aspx

"A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for the semifinal games. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement (in 2017-18, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls)."

Post #41

So by your own link you just admitted that the Orange Bowl pays out $20M to each conference this year. Maybe the Fiesta, Cotton, and Peach are hamstrung by the $4M in non CFP years, but Orange, Rose, and Sugar sure as heck aren’t.

And just so you don’t say I’m the grinch who stole Xmas, here ya go: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...all-playoff-payouts-by-conference-for-2016-17

Rose and Sugar pay $40M to each conf in the game, and Orange actually paying $27.5M to each conf in the game (more than I thought). Those are just the 2 out of 3 years when they aren’t a semi. When they’re a semi then they pay the $6M.

Wisconsin getting that #6 ranking was just massive for the Big Ten. $27.5M bones. Same for ACC.

Nm. I'm not going to debate this. It is very clearly spelled out.

The committee's view on the B1G West division is so bad that not obliterating its champ by 40 points is enough to keep an East division champ out of the playoff. Still wanted a playoff team out of our division, but seeing Wisconsin lose is always a good thing.

Nm. I'm not going to debate this. It is very clearly spelled out.

Yep it is. I was wrong on part of it, but absolutely correct when I noted that the Big Ten actually made off better due to getting in the Orange Bowl.

The three so called “contract bowls” (Rose, Sugar, Orange) of the NY6 pay out huge sums to each conf well in excess of $4M, in the years they aren’t the CFP semi’s.

I’ll probably need a refresher again next year. I remembered $6M and $4M, but obviously forgot the details after that.

Yep it is. I was wrong on part of it, but absolutely correct when I noted that the Big Ten actually made off better due to getting in the Orange Bowl.

The three so called “contract bowls” (Rose, Sugar, Orange) of the NY6 pay out huge sums to each conf well in excess of $4M, in the years they aren’t the CFP semi’s.

I’ll probably need a refresher again next year. I remembered $6M and $4M, but obviously forgot the details after that.

My point is that it doesn't really mean more money for the conference overall. The contracts were agreed to 4-5 years ago. The only thing that is up in the air is when each conference (or Notre Dame) gets their money. The Orange Bowl is contractually obligated to take the highest ranked non-champion from the Big Ten three times over the 12 year period. Or really 3 times over 8 years, because the Orange Bowl will be a semifinal in the other 4 years. The Orange Bowl is also contractually obligated to take the highest ranked non-champion from the SEC three times in those 8 years. The ACC gets their highest ranked non-playoff team in the Orange Bowl every single year.

I guess you could say it is a benefit to the conference because the B1G gets the money a little sooner, but it doesn't really mean more money long term because the contract stipulates that a B1G team can only be sent to the Orange Bowl so many times over the course of the contract term. It pretty much means that it is a lock that either Notre Dame (who also has an Orange Bowl contract) or a SEC team will go to the Orange next year.

Not a total of three times, a minimum of three times! Notes Dame has no minimum, only a max of 2. So Big Ten could get as many as 5 of 8 Orange Bowl non-CFP years.

But your long run view point is a good point. I was talking specifically about this year. As in the Forbes report I linked to from last year.

Not a total of three times, a minimum of three times! Notes Dame has no minimum, only a max of 2. So Big Ten could get as many as 5 of 8 Orange Bowl non-CFP years.

But your long run view point is a good point. I was talking specifically about this year. As in the Forbes report I linked to from last year.

I never said total. It might be* possible to get to 5, but if that happened it would really just be pure luck because it all depends on the CFP rankings.

Basically the Orange/Citrus Bowl contract with the Big Ten is a 12 year contract for (3 x $27.5M) + (9 x $4.25M) = around $120M.

So the base contract is for an average of $10M a year, it's just that the amount can vary pretty greatly each year. It might be* possible that it swells to as much as $166M over 12 years for an average of almost $14M/year., but that would be in an ideal lucky scenario. Until the B1G gets more than three teams in the Orange over the life of the contract it is still for the base amount.

14-15 - SEC
15-16 - Playoff
16-17 - Big Ten
17-18 - Big Ten
18-19 - Playoff
19-20 - ??
20-21 - ??
21-22 - Playoff
22-23 - ??
23-24 - ??
24-25 - Playoff
25-26 - ??

*I remember reading another article that I can't find saying that the Orange Bowl contract also has a clause stating that neither the SEC or Big Ten is allowed to have more than one more appearance than the other over the contract. So it can be 4-3 in favor of one conference, but not 5-3. Basically, cheer against Notre Dame and the B1G might be lucky enough to get one extra payday. Still, even an extra $23M payday isn't life-changing by any means when you consider that it is split 14 ways amongst athletic departments that mostly have budgets north of $100M.

I’ve been gone for a while but nice to see it so close yet slip away from wisky.

I never said total. It might be* possible to get to 5, but if that happened it would really just be pure luck because it all depends on the CFP rankings.

Basically the Orange/Citrus Bowl contract with the Big Ten is a 12 year contract for (3 x $27.5M) + (9 x $4.25M) = around $120M.

So the base contract is for an average of $10M a year, it's just that the amount can vary pretty greatly each year. It might be* possible that it swells to as much as $166M over 12 years for an average of almost $14M/year., but that would be in an ideal lucky scenario. Until the B1G gets more than three teams in the Orange over the life of the contract it is still for the base amount.

14-15 - SEC
15-16 - Playoff
16-17 - Big Ten
17-18 - Big Ten
18-19 - Playoff
19-20 - ??
20-21 - ??
21-22 - Playoff
22-23 - ??
23-24 - ??
24-25 - Playoff
25-26 - ??

*I remember reading another article that I can't find saying that the Orange Bowl contract also has a clause stating that neither the SEC or Big Ten is allowed to have more than one more appearance than the other over the contract. So it can be 4-3 in favor of one conference, but not 5-3. Basically, cheer against Notre Dame and the B1G might be lucky enough to get one extra payday. Still, even an extra $23M payday isn't life-changing by any means when you consider that it is split 14 ways amongst athletic departments that mostly have budgets north of $100M.

If you find a link for it, fine, but until then I am pretty sure Big Ten can get into the Orange bowl 5 of the 8 non-playoff years, as the practical maximum. The OB only needs to guarantee the SEC 3 times, and doesn't have to take ND a single time.

Top Bottom