Shooter: If there’s a Gophers men’s hockey coaching change, Bob Motzko has to be fav

Booooo! Steal somebody elses head coach.

per Shooter:

If there’s a Gophers men’s hockey coaching change, St. Cloud State’s Bob Motzko has to be considered a favorite.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/0...of-pro-bowl-worthy-players-kyle-rudolph-says/

Go Gophers!!

I'd be surprised if he would be interested in the job. Given that the University of Minnesota is run by an idiot ( kaler) and has an AD who knows nothing about hockey ( Coyle ). I'm sure he gets a lot more support at St. Cloud State than he would at the U.
I think he'd be a great coach. Would be nice if I'm wrong.

Shooter's comments today:

If there’s a Gophers men’s hockey coaching change, the people’s choice to take over remains top assistant Mike Guentzel, who has spent 25 years as a popular Gophers player and assistant.

I have mix opinions.

I'd be surprised if he would be interested in the job. Given that the University of Minnesota is run by an idiot ( kaler) and has an AD who knows nothing about hockey ( Coyle ). I'm sure he gets a lot more support at St. Cloud State than he would at the U.
I think he'd be a great coach. Would be nice if I'm wrong.

Whether he's interested or not I have no idea; but Motzko would receive a lot more money and support here. And of course a lot more pressure.

Shooter's comments today:

If there’s a Gophers men’s hockey coaching change, the people’s choice to take over remains top assistant Mike Guentzel, who has spent 25 years as a popular Gophers player and assistant.

I have mix opinions.

What "people" is he referring to? I honestly can't fathom giving a placeholder like Guentzel the job.

What are you waiting for Kahler? Or are you satisfied with a top 5 finish in the lowly Big 10 conference, mid teens to 20 ranking, empty seats?

What are you waiting for Kahler? Or are you satisfied with a top 5 finish in the lowly Big 10 conference, mid teens to 20 ranking, empty seats?

ha, but the six straight B10 titles!;)

Guenztel would be pointless, might as well keep Lucia at that point. I hope we don't get to wrapped up in the one of us crap, we need someone on the younger side who will relentlessly recruit top talent

We have young relentless recruiters in the other two big sports. Hockey is the one sport at the U where we can pull a proven consistent winner.

We have young relentless recruiters in the other two big sports. Hockey is the one sport at the U where we can pull a proven consistent winner.

USE to be a consistent winner would be more correct. Have you seen this team play? They stink. Lucia has become one of the Walking Dead! This program needs a major shake up!

When I said pull a proven consistent winner I was talking about the next coach.

Lucia is mailing it in, doesn't put any effort in and it shows. They need a shake-up.

Wow someone posted on the hockey board today!

What has Motzko done at SCSU that Lucia hasn't done at UMn??

I'm serious about this. SCSU has been to one Frozen Four and they lost in the Semis.

I looked it up, SCSU alum have scored all of 27 points in the NHL this year. Either Leddy or Haula could possibly beat all 7 SCSU alums combined alone.

So its not like Motzko is losing his best players to the NHL like Lucia has over the last 10 years.

Has that changed recently? SCSU lost a Jr and a Soph before last season and they lost a Frosh after last season, so we'll see if his losing his better players early to the NHL starts to affect them the way I believe it affected the Gophers the past decade. Are they beating us? Yes, and that sucks, but Motzko still hasn't proven he can handle these early departures and get his team to the Frozen Four.

Lucia may have had a head start, but he's still gotten the Gophers to more FFs in the last decade and has gotten the Gophers to a more recent FF than SCSU.

I'm not saying our losing to SCSU in the regular season is acceptable, I'm just saying Motzko doesn't look like the answer, to me. I'd rather take a chance with the likes of Todd Richards or Grant Potulny or maybe even Robb Stauber?

I'm not sold on Motzko either; but he has defeated Lucia five straight and, after a few days skating for Motzko, Mittelstadt is a phenom.

I'm not sold on Motzko either; but he has defeated Lucia five straight and, after a few days skating for Motzko, Mittelstadt is a phenom.

Beating the Gophers five straight times, honestly, doesn't mean diddly. Winning in the NCAA tourney is the only thing that truly matters.

And there is no way you can convince me that Motzko' coaching prowess is why Mittelstadt has had a couple good games. I'd guess it has more to do with the level of the competition. He's not competing against older players for playing time and he's not trying to beat older players on the ice. And like Washington and Hurt's confidence and performances have improved over a short time simply because they were needed more with the injuries to starters, Mittelstadt's simply being picked for this team may have given him a boost of confidence?

I believe it is much harder to recruit at St. Cloud than it is at Minnesota. Minnesota hasn't won a championship (Don't mean a weak Big 10 Championship) since Motzko left.

SCSU is only ranked #1 because they have avoided playing too many tough games.

only games vs Top 5 opponents THEY LOST. Granted they were road games.

They got a split vs UND, AT HOME. So what? UMn got a split vs UND ON THE ROAD!!!

Outside of their win vs Mankato, all their other wins vs Top 20 teams came at home.

Minnesota has 2 Top 5 wins. and a road win vs UND.

They lost their other 4 Top Ten road games. And their only loss to an unranked team came on the road as well, to a Michigan team that isn't horrible.

At home they are 11-2, with their only losses coming to #13 Wisc and #15 PSU.

SCSU is only ranked #1 because they have avoided playing too many tough games.

only games vs Top 5 opponents THEY LOST. Granted they were road games.

They got a split vs UND, AT HOME. So what? UMn got a split vs UND ON THE ROAD!!!

Outside of their win vs Mankato, all their other wins vs Top 20 teams came at home.

Minnesota has 2 Top 5 wins. and a road win vs UND.

They lost their other 4 Top Ten road games. And their only loss to an unranked team came on the road as well, to a Michigan team that isn't horrible.

At home they are 11-2, with their only losses coming to #13 Wisc and #15 PSU.

So, looking forward, they get Notre Dame and OSU at home, so maybe they can get a few more Top Ten wins, as well as Mich. And their road games are against the #4, #5 and #7 teams in the B1G, so maybe they can do better than getting 1 road win?

Basically I'm saying that our schedule eases up from here on out while SCSU's toughens up. If we can get just a split in our series against them, we could end up ranked pretty close to them at the end of the season, I'd guess them around #4 and us around #6, or maybe even ahead of them?

So, looking forward, they get Notre Dame and OSU at home, so maybe they can get a few more Top Ten wins, as well as Mich. And their road games are against the #4, #5 and #7 teams in the B1G, so maybe they can do better than getting 1 road win?

Basically I'm saying that our schedule eases up from here on out while SCSU's toughens up. If we can get just a split in our series against them, we could end up ranked pretty close to them at the end of the season, I'd guess them around #4 and us around #6, or maybe even ahead of them?

Well, we got the split. We're now 12-2 at home. Including 3-0 vs Top 5 ranked teams at home, 3-1 overall.

UMn's schedule so far this season, has been so tough, that no other team is even close, including series' vs #1 SCSU, #2 Notre Dame and #3 Clarkson, and a road series vs #6 UND.

Looking at the KRACH ranking system's SOS ratings, there is a bigger gap between #1 UMn and #2 Miami than there is between #3 WMU and #14 Clarkson.

SCSU is at #7 with a 152.8 SOS is way behind the Gophers at 193.4. That will change over the remainder of the regular season, as UMn plays a more favorable schedule, and SCSU has to play a very tough and unfavorable schedule. 8 of their final 12 games are road games and their final home series is vs a Denver team that has already swept them, and their next 3 games, all home games, won't be easy, either, all 3 vs Top Ten teams, Mankato and WMU.

Top Bottom