While Big Ten insists on NYC, Richard Pitino says it’s ‘a Midwest conference’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

On a weekend getaway with his wife this summer, Richard Pitino strolled Michigan Avenue in Chicago and took notice of all the Big Ten gear he passed.

Fans walked through the city in shirts and hats that represented their favorite teams.

It was another reminder to him that, in his words, the Big Ten is “a Midwest conference.”

And yet, the Big Ten is continuing its oft-criticized flirtation with New York City, taking another step this basketball season to attract the people of that city, scheduling convenience be darned.

Even though Madison Square Garden was booked for the March Sunday commonly known as Selection Sunday, the day conference basketball tournaments end and the NCAA announces its 68-team bracket, the Big Ten was so determined to play in New York City that it is hosting the conference tournament a week early at Madison Square Garden.

That forced alterations for the entire men’s basketball season and is the reason the Gophers play two conference games this week – the first at home against Rutgers Sunday – before resuming their nonconference slate with four more contests.

“It was amazing just seeing all the different (Big Ten) hats,” Pitino said, recalling his trip to Chicago. “When you walk through New York, you’re not getting that. But (Big Ten Commissioner) Jim Delany is a lot smarter than I am, and I understand why he’s doing it.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/0...richard-pitino-says-its-a-midwest-conference/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe isn’t good for current B1G fans in terms of proximity, but definitely understand it from a brand standpoint. Good luck on Rutgers becoming competent in football/basketball though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri in the SEC "east" - the days of the regionalized conferences are over. Oh well. Fun part about football is we still get to preserve the middle America vibe with the West division.

Missouri in the SEC "east" - the days of the regionalized conferences are over. Oh well. Fun part about football is we still get to preserve the middle America vibe with the West division.

I thought this odd too, but the conference isn't going to split Bama and Auburn and mess with that rivalry for the sake of geographic accuracy. $$$ always win in the end.

The Big Ten isn't the first organization to sell its integrity for cold hard cash, and it won't be the last.

Top Bottom