Bearcats' Mick Cronin has testy exchange with X's J.P. Macura after loss (video)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Moments after Xavier's resounding victory over Cincinnati in the Crosstown Shootout on Saturday afternoon, Bearcats coach Mick Cronin exchanged words with Xavier senior J.P. Macura in the handshake line.

Cronin, in a news conference after the 89-76 loss, said a Xavier player told him to "eff off three times."

"You know who it was," Cronin said.

"If he was playing for me, he wouldn't play," he added.

Xavier coach Chris Mack then came into the news conference after Cronin finished and was heated, saying, "There's two sides to the story," and, "There's a reason their coach was issued a technical in the game.

"I'm not going to have the narrative be anything other than us playing better than Cincinnati and us beating Cincinnati today," Mack added.

"J.P.'s my guy," Mack said of Macura. "J.P. will fight for every inch on the basketball court. He's a great kid. I'm not going to let anybody control the narrative on who they think J.P. Macura is."

Mack then referenced an incident from 2009 or 2010 when former Cincinnati guard Lance Stephenson was with the Bearcats.

"Lance Stephenson, right in front of me, called me the N-word three times and said F- you," Mack said. "After the game, guess what I did? I shook his hands. I shook his hands. There is no narrative. There is no narrative. We won."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...hanges-words-xavier-musketeers-jp-macura-loss

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Per Wikipedia:

"Michael Walter "Mick" Cronin (born July 17, 1971[2]) is the current Crybaby head coach of the Cincinnati Bearcats basketball team. He also threatens to fight opposing team's players and is well known for his short comings (pun intended)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Cronin_(basketball)

Mack backing his guy 100%. Made that pretty clear.

Truth lies somewhere in the middle, Cronin seems a little off the rocker and we all know Macura is gonna macura. I've said this before and I'll say it again - I'd err on the side of letting the kids show some flavor versus sterilizing it all and making everyone behave like robots.

I think everyone can agree they enjoyed JPM trolling Wisconsin.

For the average fan it's a little hard to sort out being that both coaches look exactly the same. Seriously, call me an idiot but I don't know which bald dude from the state of Ohio coaches which team. ..

For the average fan it's a little hard to sort out being that both coaches look exactly the same. Seriously, call me an idiot but I don't know which bald dude from the state of Ohio coaches which team. ..

Well, one of them is an N....according to Lance Stephenson.

One of them is named Baldy McWhimperson according to a very fit Star Tribune columnist

Surprising, JP in the middle of more negative press, but hey I should stick up for him because he's from MN and he's a pretty good basketball player. I'm beginning to think JP is a real a-hole. I was disappointed we didn't get Reid, Rashad or Tyus in 2014 but I can't say the same about JP (show my potato) Macura.

I'd err on the side of letting the kids show some flavor...

Like pulling down your pants in a campus bar? I mean, if that's your flavor, fly your freak flag.

I think the kid is a jack-hole.

JP has always been this way. Loved to use gay slurs and be an all around a-hole when my team played him in HS.

Wow what a classy kid. I am sure it will serve him well later on in life.....

See Jim Souhan for tips on Xavier basketball. And staying fit. He's an expert on both.

JP has always been this way. Loved to use gay slurs and be an all around a-hole when my team played him in HS.

Adults still gotta be adults. Cronin is the only one that comes out of this looking bad.

Like pulling down your pants in a campus bar? I mean, if that's your flavor, fly your freak flag.

I think the kid is a jack-hole.

The above is a crime. I'm referring to the nanny NCAA dictating "classy" behavior.

Lost in all this discussion is what an a*s Cronin is.

Perhaps true, but in the huge melee between X and Cincy a couple of years ago, it was Cronin who ended up looking like he took the high ground. That really lowered the esteem I had for X basketball at the time.

Perhaps true, but in the huge melee between X and Cincy a couple of years ago, it was Cronin who ended up looking like he took the high ground. That really lowered the esteem I had for X basketball at the time.

In my opinion, that was a major act by Cronin. Totally disingenuous. Trying to make himself look better. Cronin is one of those "the world is always out to get me/my team" kind of coaches. Not buying what he's selling!

Adults still gotta be adults. Cronin is the only one that comes out of this looking bad.

Maybe you don't think it makes Macura looks bad, but a lot of people do. Carrying yourself with class and respect is important to large segments of society.

Macura being involved in this is the least surprising thing ever.

Maybe you don't think it makes Macura looks bad, but a lot of people do. Carrying yourself with class and respect is important to large segments of society.

Both Cronin and Macura are adults.

True on both accounts but it is a lot easier to forgive a 22 year old who is still learning than it is to forgive a 46 year old who is supposed to be teaching 22 year olds how to be competitive in a respectful manner.

As such, it is a much worse look for Cronin who needs to look parents in the eye and convince them that their 18 year old kid will be in good hands than it is for Macura who does not need to do that as part of his job.

True on both accounts but it is a lot easier to forgive a 22 year old who is still learning than it is to forgive a 46 year old who is supposed to be teaching 22 year olds how to be competitive in a respectful manner.

As such, it is a much worse look for Cronin who needs to look parents in the eye and convince them that their 18 year old kid will be in good hands than it is for Macura who does not need to do that as part of his job.

No argument, but I don't mind telling you I'm irked and disappointed in Macura anyway. He just doesn't seem to have the emotional IQ or the self control that I'd expect of someone his age. I'm embarrassed he's from our community. Comparing him to Cronin is relativism.

No argument, but I don't mind telling you I'm irked and disappointed in Macura anyway. He just doesn't seem to have the emotional IQ or the self control that I'd expect of someone his age. I'm embarrassed he's from our community. Comparing him to Cronin is relativism.

+1.

Top Bottom