Reusse: P.J. Fleck deserves a chance - and ridicule

Yes. There was no excuse to lose against Maryland or Purdue. We should have had 7 wins, minimum.

I always love these takes, it's like the other team has no affect on the outcome of a game.

I always love these takes, it's like the other team has no affect on the outcome of a game.

Who said that? We are better than both Maryland and Purdue, and should've won both games.

Who said that? We are better than both Maryland and Purdue, and should've won both games.

Maybe we're not better than them in a head to head game as shown on the field this year. Next year maybe their fans will be saying the same about losing to us.

Since you're so demanding on facts when it serves your purpose, would you reveal your "proof" that we are better?

Since you're so demanding on facts when it serves your purpose, would you reveal your "proof" that we are better?

We were favored by 13.5 going into Maryland, and would've been favored against Purdue had we not shat the bed vs. Maryland.

As he said on the radio last week when someone compared his and Judd Zulgad's pessimism. "I'm pessimistic because it's fun, Judd is because he actually cares."

This is why it's so baffling that everybody on this board lets Reusse get under their skin. Nobody has to prove he's a troll -- he openly admits and revels in it. I don't think even he believes most of what he says anymore. He's an older Common Man -- he's just spewing schtick. And because of that, if he is does try to be serious, it's hard to take him seriously.

I don't see much in the article to argue about, however.

We were favored by 13.5 going into Maryland, and would've been favored against Purdue had we not shat the bed vs. Maryland.
That doesn't make us better. It makes us favored. On the field Maryland was better and won the game.

That doesn't make us better. It makes us favored. <b>On the field Maryland was better and won the game.</b>

And that is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not like the Gophers were night and day better than either team. They played flat and lost. Happens every week in college football that a "better" team doesn't play well and loses. To say there's "no excuse" is a little over dramatic.

Neither loss is on par with the losses to NMSU or USD a few years ago...

As far as Reusse's article, I would say this: It's fair to criticize Fleck and the results this year. But belittling him because his slogans didn't get this team to 12-0 this year is a different story.

And nobody thought anyone was asking for Fleck to be fired. But making the statements that imply he can't coach or this team would have won 10 games under Claeys or whatever other statement are implying you've already decided he's not a good coach. When people are saying you've got to give him more than one year, they are saying before you make up your mind, not before you fire him.

As far as the Wisconsin game plan, did he watch the effectiveness of the offense? If they had "opened it up" they likely would have been down 31 points at half. They were down 17-0 at half. Had they scored on that first drive of the second half, they would have been in the game. But the offense stalled, WI goes down and scores and it's all over.

It's not like the Gophers were night and day better than either team. They played flat and lost. Happens every week in college football that a "better" team doesn't play well and loses. To say there's "no excuse" is a little over dramatic.

As far as Reusse's article, I would say this: It's fair to criticize Fleck and the results this year. But belittling him because his slogans didn't get this team to 12-0 this year is a different story.

And nobody thought anyone was asking for Fleck to be fired. But making the statements that imply he can't coach or this team would have won 10 games under Claeys or whatever other statement are implying you've already decided he's not a good coach. When people are saying you've got to give him more than one year, they are saying before you make up your mind, not before you fire him.

As far as the Wisconsin game plan, did he watch the effectiveness of the offense? If they had "opened it up" they likely would have been down 31 points at half. They were down 17-0 at half. Had they scored on that first drive of the second half, they would have been in the game. But the offense stalled, WI goes down and scores and it's all over.

Where on Earth are you getting any of this from what I said?

I am a huge Fleck fan and believe he will do great things here. But I'm just not going to give him a pass on this season. The Vegas O/U on wins was 7.5, and we should've finished with 7 at worst.

People want to treat the highest-paid coach in Gopher football history with kid gloves (for whatever reason), but I believe he is capable of a great deal and will hold him to those standards accordingly. The results of this season were unacceptable.

Had they "Opened up the Offense" they just as likely could have been in the game. Instead of being down 17-0, maybe it would have been 17-10 or 17-14. Then it becomes an entirely different game.
We went into a shell to protect from getting blown out. We didn't play call to try and win the game, we play called to try and not get blown out.
I don't believe he should be fired. I believe he can take us to new levels within the BIG. I also believe that he didn't do a great job coaching the team this year as they failed to meet expectations of making a bowl game and winning the games that they should have. I know it's college football and anything can happen in a given game, but it was still disappointing to win 5 and get shut out in the final two games.

Had they "Opened up the Offense" they just as likely could have been in the game. Instead of being down 17-0, maybe it would have been 17-10 or 17-14. Then it becomes an entirely different game.
We went into a shell to protect from getting blown out. We didn't play call to try and win the game, we play called to try and not get blown out.
I don't believe he should be fired. I believe he can take us to new levels within the BIG. I also believe that he didn't do a great job coaching the team this year as they failed to meet expectations of making a bowl game and winning the games that they should have. I know it's college football and anything can happen in a given game, but it was still disappointing to win 5 and get shut out in the final two games.

Were you watching the same game as me? We were completely out-manned. To put this on play calling is not reality. How many times did Demry drop back to pass to the worst TE in recent memory, Morse, Geary and Howard at WR with absolutely no separation by any of them....ever. And WI puts two defenders on the edge (ala NW from the previous week) and good LBs in the middle to take away the read option. We’re lucky we any yards . . . in either half.
This was the least talented and athletic collection of players on the field in both of those games since the early eighties. Many of them would never play for another B1G team. Nice, hard-working young men. . . . But out-manned.
With our starters at the beginning of the year we were capable of 4 or five wins. When injuries happened we put in many who shouldn’t be out there.
We need better players!

That doesn't make us better. It makes us favored. On the field Maryland was better and won the game.

Exactly, I mean Vegas is never wrong. :rolleyes:

It’s funny how we ‘should have beat Maryland’ a game we never had a lead in.

Where on Earth are you getting any of this from what I said?

I am a huge Fleck fan and believe he will do great things here. But I'm just not going to give him a pass on this season. The Vegas O/U on wins was 7.5, and we should've finished with 7 at worst.

People want to treat the highest-paid coach in Gopher football history with kid gloves (for whatever reason), but I believe he is capable of a great deal and will hold him to those standards accordingly. The results of this season were unacceptable.

My bad - I should have put a better segue in there. Everything after "As far as Reusse's article..." was not directed at your statement or anything you said, just my overall view of the article. Should have put that first, then your quote...

My bad - I should have put a better segue in there. Everything after "As far as Reusse's article..." was not directed at your statement or anything you said, just my overall view of the article. Should have put that first, then your quote...

Thanks for the explanation - appreciate it.

I find it a bit sad that there is a sports media attitude that folks out there "deserve ridicule".

Wow .... that's the whole article? Must have had writer's block bad & couldn't think of anything interesting to write - but then that's Pat, pretty much all the time. That, and the sneering. :banghead:

Mitch Leidner, and the "drop off" at that position after he left, was a "bigger deal" than a lot of people want to admit.

Regardless of who the coach was this year, "no Mitch" was going to be a real challenge, one that likely wouldn't be overcome successfully.

Wow .... that's the whole article? Must have had writer's block bad & couldn't think of anything interesting to write - but then that's Pat, pretty much all the time. That, and the sneering. :banghead:

Mitch Leidner, and the "drop off" at that position after he left, was a "bigger deal" than a lot of people want to admit.

Regardless of who the coach was this year, "no Mitch" was going to be a real challenge, one that likely wouldn't be overcome successfully.

Way too many "" for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom