Kaler re-writes history

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
The strib has an interview between Sid Hartman and Eric Kaler. I don't know how to link stuff, so you'll have to go to the Strib website to read the whole thing. Short version, he likes Fleck.

But, one line just jumped out at me:

Q What about the “Row the Boat” campaign?

A It’s a catchphrase. It has worked for him in the past. If you look at what he did at Western Michigan that is a pretty remarkable turnaround. He took over a Western Michigan program that was in worse shape than our Gophers program by quite a bit and got them to the Cotton Bowl and one interception away from potentially winning it. That is the guy I want to see coaching our Gophers.

That is simply not true by any stretch of the imagination. The coach before Fleck at WMU, Bill Cubit, had a winning record (51-46) in 8 seasons, with 4 winning seasons, 1 .500 season, two 5-7 seasons, and his last year (the last year before Fleck, WMU was 4-8.

The Gophers before Fleck: under Kill and Claeys: 3-9; 6-7; 8-5; 8-5; 6-7; 9-4. (40-37 overall). If you extend it out to an 8-year period to match Cubit at WMU, the Gophers during that same time period were 49-53. In other words, WMU had a better overall record than the Gophers during the same time period.

So - where did Kaler get the idea that WMU was "in worse shape than our Gopher program by quite a bit.?" Did he pull that out of the blue, or did someone tell him that? And who might that someone be? Hmmm.

Were they not worse than the Gopher program he took over? The Gophers went 9-4 the year before he took over and WMU went 4-8 the year before he took over. I'm not sure where the issue is...

Is this a joke? Obviously WMU was in a worse place than the U program was. Jerry Kill had this program in a much better place than the WMU program prior to Fleck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The strib has an interview between Sid Hartman and Eric Kaler. I don't know how to link stuff, so you'll have to go to the Strib website to read the whole thing. Short version, he likes Fleck.

A It’s a catchphrase. It has worked for him in the past. If you look at what he did at Western Michigan that is a pretty remarkable turnaround. He took over a Western Michigan program that was in worse shape than our Gophers program by quite a bit and got them to the Cotton Bowl and one interception away from potentially winning it. That is the guy I want to see coaching our Gophers.

That is simply not true by any stretch of the imagination. The coach before Fleck at WMU, Bill Cubit, had a winning record (51-46) in 8 seasons, with 4 winning seasons, 1 .500 season, two 5-7 seasons, and his last year (the last year before Fleck, WMU was 4-8.

The Gophers before Fleck: under Kill and Claeys: 3-9; 6-7; 8-5; 8-5; 6-7; 9-4. (40-37 overall). If you extend it out to an 8-year period to match Cubit at WMU, the Gophers during that same time period were 49-53. In other words, WMU had a better overall record than the Gophers during the same time period.

So - where did Kaler get the idea that WMU was "in worse shape than our Gopher program by quite a bit.?" Did he pull that out of the blue, or did someone tell him that? And who might that someone be? Hmmm.

SON, I generally like your posts, but in this case a person could almost believe you read this with the express intent of finding something to reinforce your dislike of Fleck.

Hilarious SON good stuff. Tool.

I'm forgetting which way I'm supposed to argue these points.

Were things really bad or not when we got here...

I can't do it anymore.

I'm out of this one.

I'm forgetting which way I'm supposed to argue these points.

Were things really bad or not when we got here...

I can't do it anymore.

I'm out of this one.

Have a drink. You get more clarity.

This is a pretty sensational topic title for a nothing quote.

SON, you are so off base here that it's hard to fathom. You hate Fleck, we get it. St. Thomas will take your money and affections. Through thick and thin, I stick with Minn.

I just don't get it.

If he said the opposite you'd have have a story.

Kaler is a rat bastard, but the OP point isn't true. Though he did go backwards from 4 to 1 I believe They won 8 games in year two

Wow. I can’t believe how people jump to PJs defense, and how he has convinced so many WMU was a disaster before he miraculously turned it around. Did he take it to heights it never had been his last year? Yes. Was it a dumpster fire he took over? No.

Same thing regarding Reusse article. Whether it is hate for Reusse or love of all things PJ, so many can’t even see Reusse was not calling for his head, he was simply saying he inherited the best situation a coach at The U ever has. He wasn’t speaking to talent, but the admin support he has, stadium, new practice facility... How can that even be argued? He does have a great situation that way.

PJ should not be fired, and Reusse didn’t call for that. Like many on here who are not PJ disciples, I wish he would tone down the BS, but that’s not a reason for him to be fired. Yet it is hilarious how so many here can only see rainbows and unicorns with all things PJ, and come running to his defense with the smallest slight that is uttered.

After watching OSU win last night, I hope we can be in that game some day in the future. And, I don’t want it to be ten years from now. I hope PJ gets us there (with a little less RTB and running around - just coaching football).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arguing that WMU before Fleck was a better program than Minnesota under Kill and Claeys May be one of the worst arguments ever in favor of keeping the old coaching staff.

Arguing that WMU before Fleck was a better program than Minnesota under Kill and Claeys May be one of the worst arguments ever in favor of keeping the old coaching staff.

So what PJ inherited was good?
I read somewhere he inherited a disaster.

Yeah, it's hard to keep the stories and narratives straight. No matter - after listening to him throw the guys under the bus last winter nothing he says is of any value to me. Doing the hard thing is a foreign concept.

Well, I thought that went pretty well for SON.

In my defense:

the President of the University of MN made a statement which I thought was factually incorrect - or at the very least, misleading. I offered some facts (team records) to try and show it was factually incorrect.

The deeper point - which may have gotten lost - is why the President of the U of MN would make a factually incorrect statement. Did he research it himself (I doubt it), or did someone suggest to him that Fleck turned around a struggling program at WMU.

Obviously, the two teams are in different conferences, with different levels of difficulty. I would say the two programs, given their respective conferences, were in very similar situations.

IMHO, suggesting that WMU was in bad shape is done to make Fleck look better by comparison. "Look, he turned around a real mess at WMU." Only, that's not entirely accurate. WMU was not a real mess. they had been an average program. The last year before Fleck, 4-8, was their worst season under Cubit.

If you compare single seasons only, yes, WMU was 4-8 the last year before Fleck, and The Gophers were 9-4 the year before Fleck. I would suggest that you have to look deeper than one season to gauge the overall strength of a program.

In my defense:

the President of the University of MN made a statement which I thought was factually incorrect - or at the very least, misleading. I offered some facts (team records) to try and show it was factually incorrect.

The deeper point - which may have gotten lost - is why the President of the U of MN would make a factually incorrect statement. Did he research it himself (I doubt it), or did someone suggest to him that Fleck turned around a struggling program at WMU.

Obviously, the two teams are in different conferences, with different levels of difficulty. I would say the two programs, given their respective conferences, were in very similar situations.

IMHO, suggesting that WMU was in bad shape is done to make Fleck look better by comparison. "Look, he turned around a real mess at WMU." Only, that's not entirely accurate. WMU was not a real mess. they had been an average program. The last year before Fleck, 4-8, was their worst season under Cubit.

If you compare single seasons only, yes, WMU was 4-8 the last year before Fleck, and The Gophers were 9-4 the year before Fleck. I would suggest that you have to look deeper than one season to gauge the overall strength of a program.

LMAO. You and your gang's favorite college football team is run by three people you hate. And Kaler, Coyle, and Fleck won't be leaving their jobs anytime soon. Have fun with that during the next decade or two.

SON the clown show continues.

Jiminey crickets SON. Just Relax. Don't read the fine print too much on the medicine bottle. Just take the happy pills and enjoy the trip.

In my defense:

I guess between posts you grabbed a shovel to keep digging?

I realize I'm contributing to the problem by posting this reply, but we need to let this thread die... and preferably soon.

Top Bottom