Gophers Outlast Badgers in 5-4 Series-Opening Win

Reaction score
It was a high-scoring border battle on Friday as the Gophers topped Wisconsin 5-4 at Mariucci Arena. Despite falling behind early, Minnesota rallied for four goals in the second and held on late to take the series opener.

“It was a hard-fought game,” said Don Lucia. “It wasn’t always the prettiest at times, but it’s always pretty when you get three points...It was a struggle early; I thought we got better as the game went on.”

Going to the Net

Minnesota found success driving the net to score goals. That wasn’t the case early in the year, but the coaching staff has been stressing it this season.

“I think we just played in the dirty areas,” said Mike Szmatula who scored Minnesota’s first goal. “Offensively, we’re starting to work harder and play in the dirty areas. That was our point of emphasis this week.”

With the Gophers struggling to get to the net early this year, Lucia was considering a unique coaching tactic to force his players in front.

“I told Scott [Bell], from my Fairbanks days when I took a bench and put it on each side of the net along the goalline so they’re going to stop at the net,” said Lucia. “When we did it, I think a few guys went over the benches, but the message was sent. We didn’t do that here.”

Reedy Leads the Way

Coming into the game, NHL draft pick Scott Reedy had just two points on the year. On Friday, he tallied his first multipoint game of his career scoring the game-winning goal and adding two assists.

“I was thinking back to practice how we were getting to the net...I figured I’d just drive to the back post and Zuhlsdorf made a heck of a play and fed it to me backdoor,” said Reedy of his goal.

Szmatula Hits 100

Senior Mike Szmatula notched his 100th career college point with a pretty goal in the first period. A transfer from Northeastern, it was his 32nd point in the Maroon and Gold.

“It’s pretty special,” said Szmatula of the milestone. “It was kinda on my mind...It’s just a tribute to all my teammates that I’ve had my whole life really. It’s special to do it here.”

By The Numbers

5 Different Gophers scored on the night.

Penalties between the two teams. Wisconsin made the most of their chances going 2-for-5 with the man advantage.

20 Shots in the second period for Wisconsin. Despite the offensive assault by the Badgers, the Gophers outscored the visitors 4-1 in the frame.

Three Stars

3 Wyatt Kalynuk had two assists for the Badgers. A visitor should almost never get a star in a loss (especially if it’s Wisconsin), but what can you do.

2 Tommy Novak was stellar with three assists and also tied for the team lead with three shots.

1 Scott Reedy had the game-winning goal and two assists to go with a +3 rating on the evening.

What’s Next

The Gophers will look to sweep the hated Badgers tomorrow at Mariucci. Puck drop is at 7:05pm and can be seen on FOX Sports PLUS or heard on 1130 KTLK AM. Bring your brooms!

A little more hectic ending than necessary following the phantom call on Gates. Yes Novak was STELLAR!!!

I only got to watch the third period, but it was a doozy. Lots of chances for both teams.
Is it just me or do you guys also never feel safe when this team has a 2 goal lead in the third?

I only got to watch the third period, but it was a doozy. Lots of chances for both teams.
Is it just me or do you guys also never feel safe when this team has a 2 goal lead in the third?

Why anyone feels either safe or confident in this team, this coach and this program under any circumstance is a genuine mystery.

Why anyone feels either safe or confident in this team, this coach and this program under any circumstance is a genuine mystery.

Yes it seems like a change is in order.

Top Bottom