Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 735 of 820
  1. #721

    Default

    What is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist? Is the player and his family not competent enough to handle his own recruitment?


  2. #722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    What is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist? Is the player and his family not competent enough to handle his own recruitment?
    Lol the NCAA can't dictate your personal life or who you take advice from.

  3. #723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    Lol the NCAA can't dictate your personal life or who you take advice from.
    Is it that much different than not allowing college bball players to have agents?

  4. #724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Is it that much different than not allowing college bball players to have agents?
    Yes. The difference (getting money) is crucial.

    If the "handler" starts getting money, then it's essentially an agent.
    If the "handler" does not get money, he/she is not an agent.

  5. #725

    Default

    So again ... what is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist?

    Another question: is it essentially part of the requirements that when you sign your son up to be on these AAU clubs, that they have the exclusive "rights" to "handle" your son's recruitment?

  6. #726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    So again ... what is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist?

    Another question: is it essentially part of the requirements that when you sign your son up to be on these AAU clubs, that they have the exclusive "rights" to "handle" your son's recruitment?
    Impossible to regulate on. Good for us Dawson doesn't have that. Strong positive parental influence at home.

    Not true on the recruitment part. All kids are different. Some like to hav their HS coach lead it. Some want AAU, some have a handler, some do it all on their own.
    Last edited by manderson1984; 11-08-2019 at 10:27 AM.

  7. #727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    So again ... what is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist?

    Another question: is it essentially part of the requirements that when you sign your son up to be on these AAU clubs, that they have the exclusive "rights" to "handle" your son's recruitment?
    A proxy who communicates with schools on a player's behalf, sets up visits, and gives the player advice would qualify as a handler. That in and of itself isn't something the NCAA could/should prevent from happening. Think what you want about someone doing that for a kid, but it's not against any rules and it's not the NCAA's job to dictate your life choices. The problem obviously is that handlers may not have your best interest in mind and might get you in trouble if they accept money to push you to a certain school. There is a shady vibe with handlers, but the mere existence of them isn't against any rules.

  8. #728

    Default

    Thank you both for the straightforward answers.

    Yes, my gut reaction is “what’s in it for them”?? That would be my reaction as a father, if some stranger approached me and offered to handle my son’s recruitment.


    Anyway, let’s keep it in Dawson.

  9. #729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Yes, my gut reaction is “what’s in it for them”?? That would be my reaction as a father, if some stranger approached me and offered to handle my son’s recruitment.
    My impression is that it often isn't a stranger--could be a relative who played back in the day, a coach, teacher or even a father could be considered a handler. Essentially the term just means an adult who is closely involved in the recruiting process and communicates directly with college coaches. I don't think there is an active market of strangers offering prospects recruitment advice: the relationship with the recruit is there first.

  10. #730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixBySix View Post
    My impression is that it often isn't a stranger--could be a relative who played back in the day, a coach, teacher or even a father could be considered a handler. Essentially the term just means an adult who is closely involved in the recruiting process and communicates directly with college coaches. I don't think there is an active market of strangers offering prospects recruitment advice: the relationship with the recruit is there first.
    Last on this because I’ve derailed too much. If this was always true, you wouldn’t hear about people who got in trouble. Maybe it happens more in football, or did, but I know I’ve heard of a guy in Texas that got programs in trouble for accepting money to “deliver” a recruit.

    So, as you describe it, makes perfect sense. But I believe there is some nefariousness to it as well.

  11. #731
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    KANSAS CITY, MO
    Posts
    935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixBySix View Post
    My impression is that it often isn't a stranger--could be a relative who played back in the day, a coach, teacher or even a father could be considered a handler. Essentially the term just means an adult who is closely involved in the recruiting process and communicates directly with college coaches. I don't think there is an active market of strangers offering prospects recruitment advice: the relationship with the recruit is there first.
    If there was then the gopherhole would be the place to find them.

  12. #732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Last on this because I’ve derailed too much. If this was always true, you wouldn’t hear about people who got in trouble. Maybe it happens more in football, or did, but I know I’ve heard of a guy in Texas that got programs in trouble for accepting money to “deliver” a recruit.

    So, as you describe it, makes perfect sense. But I believe there is some nefariousness to it as well.
    People take advantage of people they know all the time.

  13. #733

    Default

    I’m going to start a new thread.

    Mods, please feel free to move posts 721 - 732 to the new thread. Sorry for derailing.

  14. #734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MnplsGopher View Post
    Is it that much different than not allowing college bball players to have agents?
    I think paid vs not paid is the issue. If the “handler” is paid to represent you, they are an agent. Otherwise, they are just Uncle Joe, Cousin Bob, etc...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Of course.
    So far I am winning on our Gopher finishing ahead of the Badgers bet this year... I assume that you will make be wait until the end of the season before I can claim victory.
    Big.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •