All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

IU 247 saying it’s basically down to Marquette and IU. The analyst did a face to face interview with Dawson. Pretty disappointing. I was starting to get optimistic about Dawson but I think I’m going to write him off as another Reid Travis. Hopefully we find someone good in the spring for that 3rd spot. Getting Martice softens the blow of losing Dawson at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll see. I doubt Garcia explicitly told him that. He's probably jumping to conclusions a bit.

AngryGopher has a lot of posts about the Hurts... posted a lot last season that Michael was following his brother as a grad transfer.?

I also heard he is not coming here.

You also said the same exact thing 3 weeks ago, and since then actual Gopher insiders who put their name on their reporting have reported otherwise

Last I heard we are not at the top of his list, hopefully this weekend changed that! Indiana has an AAU D1 player in Thompson, I hope that connection is not too strong.

Why is everyone so scared just because he is taking a visit? He also went to Memphis on an official and everyone wasn't ****ting a brick like this. I never expected him not to take a few visits.

IU 247 saying it’s basically down to Marquette and IU. The analyst did a face to face interview with Dawson. Pretty disappointing. I was starting to get optimistic about Dawson but I think I’m going to write him off as another Reid Travis. Hopefully we find someone good in the spring for that 3rd spot. Getting Martice softens the blow of losing Dawson at least.

Martice Mitchell is no Dawson Garcia. And I hope I’m wrong but I wasn’t extremely blown away by the few Mitchell highlights I saw. Granted I know he had a huge growth spurt and is still getting used to his new size but he is going to be a project. And I also hope I’m wrong but I don’t envision him as a 3/4 like he wants to be. Crossing my fingers that we get Garcia so we have the options to use the two of them down the road.

Why is everyone so scared just because he is taking a visit? He also went to Memphis on an official and everyone wasn't ****ting a brick like this. I never expected him not to take a few visits.

I think because it’s his last one and his decision date is quickly approaching.

Completely inaccurate to glean from it that the Gophers/Pitino are out. They'll be in it until the very end. Convenient timing that something like this comes out just before his OV to Indiana. I've said it multiple times on here, I've heard from people in PL close to the family who say Dawson and his parents really like Pitino and the Gophers. Dawson's parents want him to stay home.

Did Dawson himself say it's down to IU and Marquette? Absolutely not. This guy is implying it from having a conversation with him. He hears what he wants to hear. Minnesota will be in it until the very end, and I expect Pitino will either talk or meet with him shortly after his visit with IU. RJ has said himself over in GI tonight, Gophers are still absolutely in the mix.

Martice Mitchell is no Dawson Garcia. And I hope I’m wrong but I wasn’t extremely blown away by the few Mitchell highlights I saw. Granted I know he had a huge growth spurt and is still getting used to his new size but he is going to be a project. And I also hope I’m wrong but I don’t envision him as a 3/4 like he wants to be. Crossing my fingers that we get Garcia so we have the options to use the two of them down the road.

Love this! I love when people judge people by a 2 minute highlight video.

Completely inaccurate to glean from it that the Gophers/Pitino are out. They'll be in it until the very end. Convenient timing that something like this comes out just before his OV to Indiana. I've said it multiple times on here, I've heard from people in PL close to the family who say Dawson and his parents really like Pitino and the Gophers. Dawson's parents want him to stay home.

Did Dawson himself say it's down to IU and Marquette? Absolutely not. This guy is implying it from having a conversation with him. He hears what he wants to hear. Minnesota will be in it until the very end, and I expect Pitino will either talk or meet with him shortly after his visit with IU. RJ has said himself over in GI tonight, Gophers are still absolutely in the mix.

Great read, also he's a high school kid, he could change his mind a dozen times before all is said and done.

Thanks for the reasoned take and info

Thanks for a great post.

For the sake of being fully transparent, I pay to use GI and watched the entire 9-minute interview to make sure I didn't miss anything. While I'm a Gopher fan, I could care less where kids decide to go to college. If Dawson stays home, awesome. If not, life goes on.

I have no idea how you interpret from the interview that he's a lean to Marquette or Indiana. He talks a lot about Indiana because the guy interviewing is from their recruiting site, and he's asked a lot about his upcoming visit. He's asked about Marquette/Indiana/Memphis and Minnesota near the end. He speaks well of all programs, but is very calculated, as he should be, to not tip his hand. The Gophers have pitched to him to be the hometown kid to take the program to the next level. To me, the thought of him being teammates with Oturu and others that we know will be back this time next year has amazing potential, given how versatile Garcia is. He mentions visiting Marquette again, but also says he's going to sit down with his parents after this weekend, make a decision and sign in November.

This one is going down to the wire, and if he doesn't stay home, I can promise you it's not because of a lack of effort on Pitino's end. Garcia has been to campus multiple times, Pitino has visited him at 6am open gyms before school on several occasions, Dawson loved his official to the U and his parents really like Pitino. Knowing Pitino, they'll have a chat in some form when he gets back next week.

For the sake of being fully transparent, I pay to use GI and watched the entire 9-minute interview to make sure I didn't miss anything. While I'm a Gopher fan, I could care less where kids decide to go to college. If Dawson stays home, awesome. If not, life goes on.

I have no idea how you interpret from the interview that he's a lean to Marquette or Indiana. He talks a lot about Indiana because the guy interviewing is from their recruiting site, and he's asked a lot about his upcoming visit. He's asked about Marquette/Indiana/Memphis and Minnesota near the end. He speaks well of all programs, but is very calculated, as he should be, to not tip his hand. The Gophers have pitched to him to be the hometown kid to take the program to the next level. To me, the thought of him being teammates with Oturu and others that we know will be back this time next year has amazing potential, given how versatile Garcia is. He mentions visiting Marquette again, but also says he's going to sit down with his parents after this weekend, make a decision and sign in November.

This one is going down to the wire, and if he doesn't stay home, I can promise you it's not because of a lack of effort on Pitino's end. Garcia has been to campus multiple times, Pitino has visited him at 6am open gyms before school on several occasions, Dawson loved his official to the U and his parents really like Pitino. Knowing Pitino, they'll have a chat in some form when he gets back next week.

Thank you for both posts!

Makes feel good about it, either way.

Why would IU 247 be trusted?

Do IU and Marquette have seniors at PF this season and promising Garcia the starting role in 20-21??
Watching the video interview, Dawson doesn't tip his hand at all. I think we will be in this until the end and Pitino will have plenty of chances get in front of Dawson and the family.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 minute highlight videos are all you need. Just like you can know exactly how good a movie is by watching the trailer.

Yeah lol some of the guys in the past that we've had I swear were gonna be better. They were 100 for 100 on their shots in their highlight video and amazingly never turned it over either. Then they come here and actually miss shots and turn the ball over.

Watching the video interview, Dawson doesn't tip his hand at all. I think we will be in this until the end and Pitino will have plenty of chances get in front of Dawson and the family.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Right

Also to answer my own question, both Marquette and Indiana have non-seniors at PF. Doesn't mean they aren't "promising" Garcia the starting role next season. We will only have Ihnen, as I don't believe Curry will play any more.

2 minute highlight videos are all you need. Just like you can know exactly how good a movie is by watching the trailer.

Now that I think about it, the trailer for "Death to Smoochy" looked awesome.

Top Bottom