All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Need to hone in on getting the other 2020 Minnesota kids staff has offered. Garcia and Suggs will go the Jones’, Vaughn, Hurt route. They’ve got big-time offers.

Would be a borderline fireable offense if we stopped recruiting Garcia before he indicated he's going elsewhere.

Does Kansas qualify as a big-time offer? Imagine if we stopped recruiting Oturu to focus on other players.

Need to hone in on getting the other 2020 Minnesota kids staff has offered. Garcia and Suggs will go the Jones’, Vaughn, Hurt route. They’ve got big-time offers.
No way. You're giving up way too quick especially on Garcia. There is no sure thing but the Gophers have as good of chance as anyone there.

It does seem pretty clear from recent articles that Suggs is likely committing to Gonzaga, Garcia however seems like we have a pretty legit chance with him. If any top 50 recruits express interest, there is no way Pitino and staff are giving up unless they have been given pretty clear indication from Garcia he is not committing.

per Marcus:

Eight big names

Ben Carlson 6-9 PF East Ridge: One of the state’s top rebounders, Carlson has most of the Big Ten after him, but Stanford is trying hard to lure him.

Steven Crowl 6-11 C Eastview: Relatively unknown nationally before a breakout spring as a highly-skilled big man for D1 Minnesota’s AAU program.

Dain Dainja 6-9 PF Park Center: His father, Dana Jackson, played for the Gophers, but Dainja decided last month to take his powerful post game to Baylor.

Dawson Garcia 6-11 PF Prior Lake: Garcia’s three-point range and mobility for his height has blue bloods looking at Minnesota again, one class after Duke signed Matthew Hurt.

Gabe Madsen 6-6 SG Rochester Mayo: Flashy scorer exploded for 53 points and 12 threes in a game last season. He recently picked up a Gopher offer.

Mason Madsen 6-3 PG Rochester Mayo: His twin brother, Gabe, has bigger offers, but Mason’s steady play might make some high majors offer them both.

Jalen Suggs 6-4 PG Minnehaha Academy: Two-sport standout and one of the state’s best athletes ever is leaning toward deciding in August to possibly stick with college hoops.

Kerwin Walton 6-5 SG Hopkins: Three-point shooting and defense are his specialties, which earned him offers from the Big Ten, Big East and Pac-12.

http://www.startribune.com/get-to-know-the-minnesotans-of-the-2020-class/512565352/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Also in the class of 2020 is Dawson Garcia of Prior Lake, who is No. 32 in 247Sports’ national rankings. He reported that he is having great communication with the Gophers.

“I like [assistant] coach Kyle Lindsted and [head] coach Richard Pitino a lot,” Garcia told Gophers Illustrated. “Last year obviously I didn’t talk to them too much, but this year during the winter season and during the spring season we have built a great relationship. I liked the visit a lot. The new facility is sweet, I like it a lot. I like the Gophers a lot.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-get-rested-for-key-series-at-cleveland/512614322/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Also in the class of 2020 is Dawson Garcia of Prior Lake, who is No. 32 in 247Sports’ national rankings. He reported that he is having great communication with the Gophers.

“I like [assistant] coach Kyle Lindsted and [head] coach Richard Pitino a lot,” Garcia told Gophers Illustrated. “Last year obviously I didn’t talk to them too much, but this year during the winter season and during the spring season we have built a great relationship. I liked the visit a lot. The new facility is sweet, I like it a lot. I like the Gophers a lot.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-get-rested-for-key-series-at-cleveland/512614322/

Go Gophers!!

Sign already, be a hero!

Indiana Basketball: 2020 five-star big man set to cut his list

It is one of the more relatively quiet recruitments of the spring and summer, and the Indiana basketball program is hoping they made enough of an impression on five-star forward Dawson Garcia to make his updated list.

Garcia is set to make an update to his list in the coming weeks and has schools such as North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky and Duke heavily in his ear as of late. Other schools that have made an early impression on the big man are Marquette, Texas, and Baylor, all three of which received a junior year official visit from Garcia.

The Minnesota native does have a bit in common with the Indiana program. He currently plays for D1 Minnesota on the Adidas Gauntlet, former AAU team of current Hoosier Race Thompson. While Indiana has been in contact with Garcia for months, with the Blue Bloods involved in his recruitment, the Hoosiers may be one of a couple of teams vying for one of the last spots on his list.

One school that should be included on the list is Kentucky, despite still not officially extending an offer. Regardless of an offer or not, Garcia has had good things to say about the Wildcats.

“My level of interest right now is high,” he said. “It’s a great program, they get guys to the league right away. When they came to my school and talked to me, they were like, “Yeah, Kentucky is not for everybody, and that’s true. It shows that if you go to Kentucky, you have to just love basketball or life is going to be a living hell for you.”

Being from Minnesota, the Gophers have received multiple unofficial visits from the 6-foot-10 big man. Staying home means something to him as well.

“Well, obviously, being close to my family and all that. They can go to all my games as well as I can really go to the gym whenever I want, play open runs, just kind of being with the coaches. So it’s just cool that it’s close to my house and all that. They’ve been having some success here in the past couple years, so that’s appealing as well.”

https://hoosierstateofmind.com/2019/07/26/indiana-basketball-2020-five-star-big-man-set-cut-list/

Go Gophers!!

Q&A per Marcus:

Q: You plan to narrow your list down soon, right?
A: It’s a little bit difficult. It would’ve been a lot easier if I was able to play in Birmingham or go to Team USA (junior national team minicamp last week), because I would’ve cut my list a lot sooner. But it’s really that I’m going to sit down with my family and coach to just talk about all the schools. Probably come up with a top seven or eight. Not right after Vegas, but I’m going to talk it out soon about (official) visits here and there. And I’m still keeping other schools in mind as well.

Q: How strongly are you considering the Gophers since they’re the home state program?
A: They’ll definitely be in the mix, because it’s my hometown. It’s definitely something to strongly consider. Sometimes here and there I’ll be at the gym and there will be some older (fans) and some even that played there back in the day. They’ll try to convince me to play there. It’s cool to hear their thoughts on everything. I would definitely feel comfortable there.

Q: How do you see Richard Pitino’s program right now?

A: I see the program going up. Last year, they had a super strong season (NCAA tournament second round). They had the two transfers sitting out last year. I think they are very good players who are going to help a lot. Losing (Amir) Coffey hurt a little bit, but I think they’ll pick up pretty good.

Q: Do you have a good relationship with the current U players from Minnesota?

A: Yeah. I went on an unofficial visit (in June). After I watched practice I stuck around a little bit and talked to them. It was pretty cool and all that.

Q: Will your commitment come in the early signing period? Or will you wait until the spring to sign late?

A: Maybe some time in the winter. I don’t really know at this point to give you a 100 percent answer when exactly I’ll decide. I don’t think it will take that long.

Q: What did you think when blue-blood offers came from Kansas and North Carolina? How much harder is Duke recruiting you?

A: It was just a blessing honestly. Talking to the legends on the phone from the blue bloods. It’s just a really cool experience to learn from the greats. I’ve been talking to (Duke) here and there.

Q: You played the role (Duke incoming freshman) Matthew Hurt did last season leading this D1 Minnesota team to the top of the standings. What did you learn from him?

A: Watching him last year (Dawson played on the U16 team) it was a lot of fun. Just seeing a guy who goes out there and puts up numbers and is super-efficient. That’s one thing I liked about his game is that I really liked he was super-efficient and just kept the same pace and demeanor. Throughout the game he doesn’t get too high or too low. This summer I felt like I’ve stepped up my game a lot. I got stronger, more athletic and continued to polish my jumper and handle. Now I’m starting to be known on the national scene. Obviously, I didn’t play at the other live periods, but I can’t wait to get to Vegas to showcase what I’ve been working on in my game from June until now.

http://www.startribune.com/five-sta...ness-and-when-he-might-narrow-list/513402852/

Go Gophers!!

Q&A per Marcus:

Q: You plan to narrow your list down soon, right?
A: It’s a little bit difficult. It would’ve been a lot easier if I was able to play in Birmingham or go to Team USA (junior national team minicamp last week), because I would’ve cut my list a lot sooner. But it’s really that I’m going to sit down with my family and coach to just talk about all the schools. Probably come up with a top seven or eight. Not right after Vegas, but I’m going to talk it out soon about (official) visits here and there. And I’m still keeping other schools in mind as well.

Q: How strongly are you considering the Gophers since they’re the home state program?
A: They’ll definitely be in the mix, because it’s my hometown. It’s definitely something to strongly consider. Sometimes here and there I’ll be at the gym and there will be some older (fans) and some even that played there back in the day. They’ll try to convince me to play there. It’s cool to hear their thoughts on everything. I would definitely feel comfortable there.

Q: How do you see Richard Pitino’s program right now?

A: I see the program going up. Last year, they had a super strong season (NCAA tournament second round). They had the two transfers sitting out last year. I think they are very good players who are going to help a lot. Losing (Amir) Coffey hurt a little bit, but I think they’ll pick up pretty good.

Q: Do you have a good relationship with the current U players from Minnesota?

A: Yeah. I went on an unofficial visit (in June). After I watched practice I stuck around a little bit and talked to them. It was pretty cool and all that.

Q: Will your commitment come in the early signing period? Or will you wait until the spring to sign late?

A: Maybe some time in the winter. I don’t really know at this point to give you a 100 percent answer when exactly I’ll decide. I don’t think it will take that long.

Q: What did you think when blue-blood offers came from Kansas and North Carolina? How much harder is Duke recruiting you?

A: It was just a blessing honestly. Talking to the legends on the phone from the blue bloods. It’s just a really cool experience to learn from the greats. I’ve been talking to (Duke) here and there.

Q: You played the role (Duke incoming freshman) Matthew Hurt did last season leading this D1 Minnesota team to the top of the standings. What did you learn from him?

A: Watching him last year (Dawson played on the U16 team) it was a lot of fun. Just seeing a guy who goes out there and puts up numbers and is super-efficient. That’s one thing I liked about his game is that I really liked he was super-efficient and just kept the same pace and demeanor. Throughout the game he doesn’t get too high or too low. This summer I felt like I’ve stepped up my game a lot. I got stronger, more athletic and continued to polish my jumper and handle. Now I’m starting to be known on the national scene. Obviously, I didn’t play at the other live periods, but I can’t wait to get to Vegas to showcase what I’ve been working on in my game from June until now.

http://www.startribune.com/five-sta...ness-and-when-he-might-narrow-list/513402852/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for posting. He answered why he has not committed on a early timeline.

per Marcus:

Gophers basketball has its first big recruiting date planned for the football team’s season opener next Thursday against South Dakota State at TCF Bank Stadium.

Expected on the first official visit for Richard Pitino this fall will be three-star Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.) guard Ty Berry, but he won’t be alone.

Accompanying Berry will be several local prospects on unofficials, including 2020 targets and D1 Minnesota teammates Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton, Steven Crowl and Ben Carlson.

http://www.startribune.com/kansas-g...-recruits-visiting-football-opener/554893002/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Kentucky now in on Garcia
Kentucky might be trying to get in on him but believe it was mentioned early on Garcia wasn't a fan of Cal after meeting him so unless something has really changed I don't think they are a factor.

Kentucky might be trying to get in on him but believe it was mentioned early on Garcia wasn't a fan of Cal after meeting him so unless something has really changed I don't think they are a factor.

Hope your right but that is counter to what i am hearing.

Thought I heard that about Suggs, not Garcia. Wasn’t aware of Kentucky looking at Garcia though I guess it’s not surprising.

Thought I heard that about Suggs, not Garcia. Wasn’t aware of Kentucky looking at Garcia though I guess it’s not surprising.
You might be right. It was something I remember seeing awhile ago and don't feel like going back to see exactly who it was.

That doesn’t sound promising for the gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At this point all the blue bloods are in, not sure it changes anything when Kansas, Duke, UNC etc were already in. If we get an OV were in great shape if we don't and he feeds us the standard line of not needing one, well I don't need to explain any further.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

At this point all the blue bloods are in, not sure it changes anything when Kansas, Duke, UNC etc were already in. If we get an OV were in great shape if we don't and he feeds us the standard line of not needing one, well I don't need to explain any further.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Exactly. He's a top 20 recruit. He is being recruited by everyone and can likely pick any school. Hopefully staying home outweighs the benefits of the blue bloods. Tough sell though.

per Corey:

Dawson Garcia is far away from a commitment. He has remained hush about his college recruitment and is fairly wide open to newer schools getting involved. He did just take an unofficial visit to Minnesota over the weekend and, last year, visited Baylor, Marquette and Texas officially. A school list is still difficult to create but don’t be surprised if the blue bloods become involved as the winter wanes on once they begin to miss on their top options.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday--390

Go Gophers!!

per Corey:

Dawson Garcia is far away from a commitment. He has remained hush about his college recruitment and is fairly wide open to newer schools getting involved. He did just take an unofficial visit to Minnesota over the weekend and, last year, visited Baylor, Marquette and Texas officially. A school list is still difficult to create but don’t be surprised if the blue bloods become involved as the winter wanes on once they begin to miss on their top options.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday--390

Go Gophers!!

He's planning to sign in the spring? Rats.

The only way that works to our advantage is if we get Walton or a couple of really promising recruits and the current team shows that it might be just a player or two away from making a big run. Power forward is such and obvious need for us. We still talk about Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson and company around here- so it would be an amazing opportunity to build his own local legacy in addition to gaining national notoriety.

The late decisions by the top players may be the most challenging part of modern recruiting for non blue blood Power 5's. Pitino is in a bind as to whether to wait on him and keep a scholarship or fill the slots with guys who are ready to commit. He would have been a nice commitment to start it out in the fall. With that gone, hard decisions have to be made. I just think this is another way the rich get richer in college basketball. More power to the guys. It's their decision. But it's frustrating as a fan of a team trying to grow.

There will be a slew of commits over the next 6 weeks. It has already started. Several really good non blue blood programs have already received multiple verbals. Unlike football, the verbals in basketball are very solid. In addition to that 75 or so of the top 100 are either verbals or heavy heavy leans. Tons of fall visits with some that commit on the spot, more that will decide in september early november.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Maybe means he'll start planning official visits soon?

[FONT="][/FONT]

Hopefully the meeting wednesday will be to confirm we are in his final or out of the running, really don't want to waste time with him if he does not have a legit interest in the U.

Actually he has interest in the U or he would not even take this meeting.

Top Bottom