All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

From people who would actually know, or from randos who are speculating?

There are a couple reddit comments saying that "it has been reported" that Indiana, Marquette, and North Carolina are in the lead. One of the comments says it comes from Brian Snow, who is one of the big national 247 recruiting guys. North Carolina I can understand, top tier basketball program, competes for national championships. Wojo could get fired after this year, and Marquette already has 2 top 100 power forwards committed. I feel like Archie Miller has a reputation as a quality coach, but he hasn't done anything of note on the court at Indiana yet, and I think even this year they're projected to be on the NCAA tournament bubble at best. Unless you believe Miller still has big time untapped potential and love the big fan support at IU, I just kinda have a tough time seeing Indiana or Marquette as significantly better options than Minnesota. Plus Hurt and Demir are the only scholarship seniors on this team, so assuming that some combination of Carr, Willis, Williams, and Ihnen pan out, Oturu doesn't go pro, and we land one or two other recruits who can contribute as freshmen, we could be a likely tournament team in Dawson's freshman year here, and obviously Dawson himself would contribute to that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBas...020_4_dawson_garcia_cuts_list_to_unc_arizona/

Bossi's Best: High-stakes recruitments

Dawson Garcia

Who is involved: Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Marquette, Memphis, Minnesota and North Carolina

Why the stakes are high: Dawson is one of five players from Minnesota ranked as a four-star or better in the class of 2020. Minnesota's Richard Pitino can't really afford to miss out on all of them, and considering he just cut his list on Tuesday, Garcia may be the most open. Of course, the Gophers are going to have to beat major competition to keep him home and pretty much everybody on his list - besides perhaps Marquette ,which recently landed a similar player in Osasere Ighodaro - has need for a change-of-pace, skilled four-man like Garcia.

https://arizona.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-high-stakes-recruitments

Go Gophers!!

There are a couple reddit comments saying that "it has been reported" that Indiana, Marquette, and North Carolina are in the lead. One of the comments says it comes from Brian Snow, who is one of the big national 247 recruiting guys. North Carolina I can understand, top tier basketball program, competes for national championships. Wojo could get fired after this year, and Marquette already has 2 top 100 power forwards committed. I feel like Archie Miller has a reputation as a quality coach, but he hasn't done anything of note on the court at Indiana yet, and I think even this year they're projected to be on the NCAA tournament bubble at best. Unless you believe Miller still has big time untapped potential and love the big fan support at IU, I just kinda have a tough time seeing Indiana or Marquette as significantly better options than Minnesota. Plus Hurt and Demir are the only scholarship seniors on this team, so assuming that some combination of Carr, Willis, Williams, and Ihnen pan out, Oturu doesn't go pro, and we land one or two other recruits who can contribute as freshmen, we could be a likely tournament team in Dawson's freshman year here, and obviously Dawson himself would contribute to that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBas...020_4_dawson_garcia_cuts_list_to_unc_arizona/

Heard from someone close to the D1 program that we are not at the top of his list. That North Carolina was.

Heard from someone close to the D1 program that we are not at the top of his list. That North Carolina was.

If his dream school is Duke, but the offer isn't coming, at UNC he would be just 10 miles away from their campus and get to play them at least twice a year.

Bossi's Best: High-stakes recruitments

Dawson Garcia

Who is involved: Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Marquette, Memphis, Minnesota and North Carolina

Why the stakes are high: Dawson is one of five players from Minnesota ranked as a four-star or better in the class of 2020. Minnesota's Richard Pitino can't really afford to miss out on all of them, and considering he just cut his list on Tuesday, Garcia may be the most open. Of course, the Gophers are going to have to beat major competition to keep him home and pretty much everybody on his list - besides perhaps Marquette ,which recently landed a similar player in Osasere Ighodaro - has need for a change-of-pace, skilled four-man like Garcia.

https://arizona.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-high-stakes-recruitments

Go Gophers!!

It annoys me, in a strong manner, that Miller is still there and they arent getting the hammer from NCAA. Not a level playing field

Mind boggling anyone would want to play for Miller. He does nothing with these top recruiting classes.

People use to be able say he is a great recruiter now he was exposed and that is a fraud.

In a nut shell he puts guys in the NBA but they are top level players who are going to the NBA regardless of where they play. Arizona underachievers in a junk conference.

If his dream school is Duke, but the offer isn't coming, at UNC he would be just 10 miles away from their campus and get to play them at least twice a year.

If his dream school is Duke like some on this board have speculated, I would think he would have included them in his top 7 even if he doesn't have an offer yet. Hopefully UNC gets a commit from someone else who plays a similar role.

If his dream school is Duke like some on this board have speculated, I would think he would have included them in his top 7 even if he doesn't have an offer yet. Hopefully UNC gets a commit from someone else who plays a similar role.

Lets keep our fingers crossed they nab Isaiah Todd or Greg Brown

Duke and Kentucky have not offered and it was said that there were several elite programs who were not going to because they filled their spots and or thought he would be a hard pull. I know one high level coach that said they were not going to get offer because they could not pull him. Find it very interesting that he has not pulled the trigger but there are so many factors. Maybe starting day one is playing a huge role. It does for a ton of kids , that and who else is going to a school that can help them win. This is one where for me, the early time at Minnesota could be a big piece.

Duke and Kentucky have not offered and it was said that there were several elite programs who were not going to because they filled their spots and or thought he would be a hard pull. I know one high level coach that said they were not going to get offer because they could not pull him. Find it very interesting that he has not pulled the trigger but there are so many factors. Maybe starting day one is playing a huge role. It does for a ton of kids , that and who else is going to a school that can help them win. This is one where for me, the early time at Minnesota could be a big piece.

Was he close to a decision at one point? Any word on his relationships with berry/mashburn and Walton?

Maybe I’m naive but I wish a guy like Garcia could see that he could start a trend, not follow other talent. Getting late though, as you said, dominoes are falling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was he close to a decision at one point? Any word on his relationships with berry/mashburn and Walton?

Maybe I’m naive but I wish a guy like Garcia could see that he could start a trend, not follow other talent. Getting late though, as you said, dominoes are falling.

Not that i know of.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

His top seven are: Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Marquette, Memphis, Minnesota and North Carolina. All of these have offered.

Does Minnesota have any chance in heck, against schools like Arizona (pretty good, gets him out of the upper midwest, big party school), or blue bloods Kansas and UNC??

Thanks. EG’s summary of the talk gopher buckets podcast suggests that berry could be good for Walton and Garcia.

Were they around Berry when he was here?

Last edited:

His top seven are: Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Marquette, Memphis, Minnesota and North Carolina. All of these have offered.

Does Minnesota have any chance in heck, against schools like Arizona (pretty good, gets him out of the upper midwest, big party school), or blue bloods Kansas and UNC??

Of course the Gophs have a chance. This not like the Jones boys where there was always zero chance.

Were they around Berry when he was here?

I believe Walton and Garcia were both here on unofficials the same day as berry and collins official visits, they were all at the football pre-game stuff together and probably had a chance to talk about that stuff

I believe Walton and Garcia were both here on unofficials the same day as berry and collins official visits, they were all at the football pre-game stuff together and probably had a chance to talk about that stuff

Thanks! Sounds like a package deal to me. C'mon Berry, lets get these commitments going.

I feel strongly that we are actually in a better position with this class than any of the others before. This staff is the best we have had and they have have put in a ton of constructive work. Recruiting is not a big concern for me, it is what we do with them.

I feel strongly that we are actually in a better position with this class than any of the others before. This staff is the best we have had and they have have put in a ton of constructive work. Recruiting is not a big concern for me, it is what we do with them.

I feel a lot better about Pitino producing a good on court product when he’s able to truly complete classes. When he’s done that he’s made the tournament in 16 and 18 due to the depth it’s created. Despite having a decent reputation as a recruiter, I think that’s where he’s let himself down most is getting that big fish but not necessarily filling out the rest of the classes with Big Ten contributors. As you said, they seem well positioned on a number of guys and a top 25 class is definitely not out of the question.

I just wonder what could have been if they would have casted a wider regional net from the start. Obviously the staff have established relationships earlier with recruits in this class than they had previously but using that to get a lot of these guys on campus has been a game changer. Ty Berry talked about how actually seeing it changed his perception. That’s harder to do for kids living in the Northeast. Kids from Milwaukee, Chicago and so on can drive here. It seems like they are going to be rewarded now for smarter recruiting and it’s good to see. They’ve put in the work and deserve it.

But as you've said many times on this board, players (and their influencers, you included) recognize and sign with coaches they view to be better...at developing talent, of getting the most of their abilities, of helping to advance them to the NBA, etc. So talent development, from what you've said, is inexorably linked to successful recruiting, but it's a concern you have where Pitino and staff have fallen short. Given that, how can his recruiting NOT be a big concern for you? Seems if players want to play for better coaches, as you say, and ours aren't viewed to be better, how can you not be concerned?

C’mon Dawson. Start things off with the first MN commitment!

But as you've said many times on this board, players (and their influencers, you included) recognize and sign with coaches they view to be better...at developing talent, of getting the most of their abilities, of helping to advance them to the NBA, etc. So talent development, from what you've said, is inexorably linked to successful recruiting, but it's a concern you have where Pitino and staff have fallen short. Given that, how can his recruiting NOT be a big concern for you? Seems if players want to play for better coaches, as you say, and ours aren't viewed to be better, how can you not be concerned?

I’m not buying the “better development” aspect of the discussion. Players from Duke rarely excel in the NBA. Now if you want to talk about the national exposure a school like Duke receives that helps with recruiting, there’s no argument there. Garcia will commit to the Goohers...it was in a dream I had so it has to be true. [emoji16]

Because i believe that some will think this is the best place for them factoring in early playing time, location, good coaching staff, the right school, getting along with teammates .

Tired of this...I could care less if Minnesota kids choose to go other places. Minnesota is not the only source of talented basketball players in this country. If Pitino brings in talent from other states, which he has, then he is not failing at recruiting. I want players who want to be part of the U and if they aren't MN kids, I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. Of course it's great if kids from home decide to stay home but it seems silly to get worked up if they don't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tired of this...I could care less if Minnesota kids choose to go other places. Minnesota is not the only source of talented basketball players in this country. If Pitino brings in talent from other states, which he has, then he is not failing at recruiting. I want players who want to be part of the U and if they aren't MN kids, I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. Of course it's great if kids from home decide to stay home but it seems silly to get worked up if they don't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree with your thoughts. I'd certainly rather have a better player from another state. And if a really good in state player leaves he just didn't have the mindset of staying home and making a difference...so did we lose anything?

UNC added a commitment from 5* Center Walker Kessler tonight to go with 5* Center Day’ron Sharpe who’s already committed in their 2020 class. That should take them out of the Garcia sweepstakes.

Top Bottom