All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Quitter! JK

Pitino needs to put on the full press in these last couple weeks. Gopher fans should be out following Garcia on twitter. There is still time to move this and get him to listen to his parents.

This is always one of my favorites "Put the Full Court Press on..." What specifically would that be? I mean, what specific thing should Pitino and his assistants be doing that some seem to think he isn't probably already doing? Promise him 30 minutes a game from the start? Pay him under the table? Fire one of the assistants and give Garcia's Dad the job? Exactly what are you suggesting? And if one thinks the coaching staff is not trying hard enough, what are the signs you're seeing that they are slacking on their recruitment of a guy they obviously really want?

What if one of the things that would turn him off of Minnesota might be the constant nagging by a coaching staff or fans on social media about doing the right thing, make up your mind right now and signing with the Gophers? What if putting on the full-court press, instead of giving him room and time to think is exactly the thing that would make him go someplace else? I know people like that (me)! :)

I don't know (nor does anybody else) what exactly he's looking for or expects. He may not know just yet either. It's funny that people think you're some kind of traitor if you want to try out other parts of the country when you're young and have the opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him as a Gopher. But, as much as I love my Minnesota teams and have spent the past 40+ years keeping up with them and cheering them on, I must admit that I couldn't wait to get out of Minnesota. Combination of wanting to see what else was out there and to get the hell out of that miserably rotten winter weather. I'll be bummed if he goes somewhere else, but I wouldn't blame him for wanting to make a name for himself somewhere other than where everybody already knows him.

Hard not to have fun in Milwaukee. A great town for college kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you don’t wander too far from campus. Scary neighborhood.

This is always one of my favorites "Put the Full Court Press on..." What specifically would that be? I mean, what specific thing should Pitino and his assistants be doing that some seem to think he isn't probably already doing? Promise him 30 minutes a game from the start? Pay him under the table? Fire one of the assistants and give Garcia's Dad the job? Exactly what are you suggesting? And if one thinks the coaching staff is not trying hard enough, what are the signs you're seeing that they are slacking on their recruitment of a guy they obviously really want?

What if one of the things that would turn him off of Minnesota might be the constant nagging by a coaching staff or fans on social media about doing the right thing, make up your mind right now and signing with the Gophers? What if putting on the full-court press, instead of giving him room and time to think is exactly the thing that would make him go someplace else? I know people like that (me)! :)

I don't know (nor does anybody else) what exactly he's looking for or expects. He may not know just yet either. It's funny that people think you're some kind of traitor if you want to try out other parts of the country when you're young and have the opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him as a Gopher. But, as much as I love my Minnesota teams and have spent the past 40+ years keeping up with them and cheering them on, I must admit that I couldn't wait to get out of Minnesota. Combination of wanting to see what else was out there and to get the hell out of that miserably rotten winter weather. I'll be bummed if he goes somewhere else, but I wouldn't blame him for wanting to make a name for himself somewhere other than where everybody already knows him.

Great post. Everybody is different. There are so many wonderful colleges and settings and these kids have earned the chance to pick the one they want, to play with who they want and the coach they want. We all have our bias on everything but personally i advise young people to follow their dream and if that means going away to school even better. The benefits of meeting so many people from different parts of the country and the world is immeasurable. As it concerns Garcia, i still have not seen or heard anything that eliminates Minnesota.

As long as you don’t wander too far from campus. Scary neighborhood.

No Joke. My son has played with some kids who's parents are from Milwaukee. Their parents would never live there again. It's a tough town.

No Joke. My son has played with some kids who's parents are from Milwaukee. Their parents would never live there again. It's a tough town.

I kind of like Milwaukee. The lakefront is awesome and its got some cool attractions downtown. Marquette U. neighborhood is not the best, but I've seen worse. UW-Milwaukee is close to some rough spots as well.

Unfortunately Milwaukee is among the most segregated cities in the US.

I worked in Milwaukee for 6 years and it has good spots and bad spots. The bad spots are really bad. Too easy for gang members from Chicago to drive up for a day and pick a fight. A coworker of mine was shot one night because he wouldn't give someone his keys. Generallly the Cops do a good job of keeping the violence in certain areas, but anywhere near a bus line is a high crime area. My friend lives in a suburb and a bus line was added and crime went through the roof. They cancelled the bus line and now they are back to zero crime. I'm sure they keep their recruits from seeing the areas they don't want them to see. Minneapolis / St. Paul has some crime, but nothing like Milwaukee.

I kind of like Milwaukee. The lakefront is awesome and its got some cool attractions downtown. Marquette U. neighborhood is not the best, but I've seen worse. UW-Milwaukee is close to some rough spots as well.

Unfortunately Milwaukee is among the most segregated cities in the US.

Just like Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland....sense a theme?

Just like Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland....sense a theme?

Obviously. I've also lived in the south and frankly, the segregation thing is worse up north.

Anyhow...back to the topic. My suspicion is that Garcia connected very well with Wojo and maybe wants that Duke Osmosis vibe. Hopefully he has a change of heart and realizes that playing in The Barn in the B1G in front of friends and family is a truly outstanding situation.

Obviously. I've also lived in the south and frankly, the segregation thing is worse up north.

Anyhow...back to the topic. My suspicion is that Garcia connected very well with Wojo and maybe wants that Duke Osmosis vibe. Hopefully he has a change of heart and realizes that playing in The Barn in the B1G in front of friends and family is a truly outstanding situation.

Mr. Garcia
Be proud, stay home and make your parents happy.

Stick around Dawson and you could be a legend here! Make the state of Minnesota proud.

Minneapolis is great as I am from chicago area and played baseball at minnesota. Quit ripping on milwaukee as me personally wouldnt want to go there, but everyone is making it out to where he might get mugged there or something. I've never heard of a Marquette basketball player getting in the wrong neighborhood lol yes we all want dawson to go to Minnesota, but quit talking about milwaukee as like he'll get murdered there if he goes there. Minnesota is far better than Marquette in my opinion, but I'm not making decision.

Minneapolis is great as I am from chicago area and played baseball at minnesota. Quit ripping on milwaukee as me personally wouldnt want to go there, but everyone is making it out to where he might get mugged there or something. I've never heard of a Marquette basketball player getting in the wrong neighborhood lol yes we all want dawson to go to Minnesota, but quit talking about milwaukee as like he'll get murdered there if he goes there. Minnesota is far better than Marquette in my opinion, but I'm not making decision.

mugged in milwaukee or stabbed by a polar bear in the twin cities. tough choices. or bloomington where BBall players are put out to pasture at Cook Medical

Jeffrey Dahmer lived right by Marquette campus. I hear he really liked it.

Did Dawson take his official visit to Marquette this past weekend? I might have gotten the dates wrong. If yes, any inside scoops?

Did Dawson take his official visit to Marquette this past weekend? I might have gotten the dates wrong. If yes, any inside scoops?

Next weekend

Well at that point, unless he decides to give a hard commit to Marquette on the 10th and word gets out (which I think it would), then we'll probably just find out when he picks a cap on the 13th.

Well at that point, unless he decides to give a hard commit to Marquette on the 10th and word gets out (which I think it would), then we'll probably just find out when he picks a cap on the 13th.

Shoot, I didn’t put the timeline together. If he’s only giving himself 3 days to think it over after visiting Marquette, one might imagine they have it in the bag.

Shoot, I didn’t put the timeline together. If he’s only giving himself 3 days to think it over after visiting Marquette, one might imagine they have it in the bag.

Did he actually state somewhere that he is announcing on the 13th? If not, the early signing period runs from 13th-20th, so it's feasible he could make a decision and sign anytime in that 7-day time period.

Did he actually state somewhere that he is announcing on the 13th? If not, the early signing period runs from 13th-20th, so it's feasible he could make a decision and sign anytime in that 7-day time period.

Not to my knowledge, good point.

I’m sure you’re correct. I said 13th only because that was the start of the period.

I think if Indiana was the spot, he would have committed during the visit. I think it’s between Marquette and the U. My guess is he liked the Marquette visit last year and wants to check it out one more time to see if that is the “away from home” spot. I suspect that he still really likes the U and hope he stays home. Can we garner up some sort of storm in Marquette for his visit to make it less desirable?

This all based upon my own guesses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think if Indiana was the spot, he would have committed during the visit. I think it’s between Marquette and the U. My guess is he liked the Marquette visit last year and wants to check it out one more time to see if that is the “away from home” spot. I suspect that he still really likes the U and hope he stays home. Can we garner up some sort of storm in Marquette for his visit to make it less desirable?

This all based upon my own guesses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milwaukee

Friday High- 32 Saturday High- 39 Sunday high 32 winds 14-16 mph both Sat and Sun.

Maybe someone can start a "we want Dawson" chant at the game today!

Would imagine he and his friends from HS and/or parents would be welcomed to the VIP box.

Top Bottom