All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Then again, he may not want to get hounded by hundreds of Gopher fans asking/demanding him to commit to the U. Would totally sympathize with that.

Maybe there's a back way into Williams?

Then again, he may not want to get hounded by hundreds of Gopher fans asking/demanding him to commit to the U. Would totally sympathize with that.

I would think a chant like this would make a young athlete feel pretty special. At the least, I wouldn't think it would be offensive or a turn off for him.

This is a very Minnesota way of thinking

I would think a chant like this would make a young athlete feel pretty special. At the least, I wouldn't think it would be offensive or a turn off for him.

Not talking about the chant. That is a cool idea and would be fine.

I'm talking about every Joe Sixpack Gopher fan coming up to him walking in the concourse.

"Dawson, you really need to come to the U!"
"Dawson, you'll be starting here next year, right?"
"Dawson, can you sign my baby??"

Do Pitino's recent actions or recruiting focus support the notion that UMN is no longer an option for DG? Its been a week or so since the report that UMN is out.

Do Pitino's recent actions or recruiting focus support the notion that UMN is no longer an option for DG? Its been a week or so since the report that UMN is out.

What recent actions specifically? Other than the story that they supposedly offered the Koroma kid from Germany, I haven't seen any other movement on the 2020 front.

Not sure where you're pulling that from, it was never reported that Dawson eliminated the Gophers. It was implied by a Indiana recruiting writer that DG was leaning between IU and Marquette based on an interview he did with him before his visit to Indiana. That was a gut feeling, not anything Garcia actually said. Garcia has done a very good job of keeping things close to the vest and not letting anything get out as he gets closer to a decision.

I've thought all along the Gophers were in the mix, but not being at last night's game is a bit telling.

Not sure where you're pulling that from, it was never reported that Dawson eliminated the Gophers. It was implied by a Indiana recruiting writer that DG was leaning between IU and Marquette based on an interview he did with him before his visit to Indiana. That was a gut feeling, not anything Garcia actually said. Garcia has done a very good job of keeping things close to the vest and not letting anything get out as he gets closer to a decision.

I've thought all along the Gophers were in the mix, but not being at last night's game is a bit telling.

Ryan James did mention that Dawson seemed to be leaning toward Marquette or Indiana in the last talk Gopher buckets podcast, but maybe that’s based on the same interview. I hope he gets to a game.

He couldn’t walk into a better situation than what he would be in here. pretty much everyone back except the PF position. Even deeper team with other two recruits. Tons of experience at all the other positions. They would have five threats on the floor at all times. Upper big ten talent and a tourney lock.

He couldn’t walk into a better situation than what he would be in here. pretty much everyone back except the PF position. Even deeper team with other two recruits. Tons of experience at all the other positions. They would have five threats on the floor at all times. Upper big ten talent and a tourney lock.

Yep. Add to that- Great team mates ( I really like what I see of these guys as people) a chance to be the hometown hero and a potential program legacy builder. No pressure, Dawson, but I think you could turn the program for years to come.

Not sure whether he attends every game should be read as a sign of his interest. If he never attends a game again, that's a great sign.

Gophers basketball program woos Prior Lake star Dawson Garcia, promotes the stay-at-home trend

When was the last time a Minnesota boys’ high school basketball star turned down multiple blue-blood scholarship offers to stay home and play for the Gophers?

Kris Humphries and Rick Rickert did it in 2003 and 2001, respectively, but Humphries originally picked Duke and Rickert first selected Arizona before arriving at Minnesota. Since then, Duke has landed nationally known in-state stars Tyus Jones, Gary Trent Jr., Tre Jones and Matthew Hurt.

Gophers coach Richard Pitino will find out Nov. 20 if another five-star prospect will leave the state or finally give the Gophers another hometown hero.

Pitino’s pitch to Prior Lake senior forward Dawson Garcia was “there’s something really special about being that hometown kid” that can “make the program take off,” Garcia said.

Top recruits staying with home-state programs have become more of a trend. James Wiseman, a Tennessee native who was the top recruit in the country, picked Memphis. He could go No. 1 in the June 2020 NBA draft, unless that happens for Atlanta native Anthony Edwards, who stayed home to play for Georgia.

And then there’s the team the Gophers will face Saturday in Sioux Falls, S.D. — Oklahoma. Two years ago, a fairy tale unfolded for the Sooners, even if it only lasted for one season.

Trae Young was a superstar in his hometown of Norman and a household name throughout the Sooner State before he ever took college basketball by storm with his record-breaking freshman season in 2017.

So, Young thought, why not be different with his college decision? Why not become a legend at a school a few miles from his house?

“I think anytime a basketball player gets an offer from a blue blood, the first thing you obviously want to do is jump on it,” said Young, a second-year Atlanta Hawks guard. “You think it gives you the best chance to get to the NBA and achieve your dreams. But for me, I wanted to go a different route, to a place where there was never [a player like him] before I went there.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ia-promotes-the-stay-at-home-trend/564586942/

Go Gophers!!

Gophers basketball program woos Prior Lake star Dawson Garcia, promotes the stay-at-home trend

When was the last time a Minnesota boys’ high school basketball star turned down multiple blue-blood scholarship offers to stay home and play for the Gophers?

Kris Humphries and Rick Rickert did it in 2003 and 2001, respectively, but Humphries originally picked Duke and Rickert first selected Arizona before arriving at Minnesota. Since then, Duke has landed nationally known in-state stars Tyus Jones, Gary Trent Jr., Tre Jones and Matthew Hurt.

Gophers coach Richard Pitino will find out Nov. 20 if another five-star prospect will leave the state or finally give the Gophers another hometown hero.

Pitino’s pitch to Prior Lake senior forward Dawson Garcia was “there’s something really special about being that hometown kid” that can “make the program take off,” Garcia said.

Top recruits staying with home-state programs have become more of a trend. James Wiseman, a Tennessee native who was the top recruit in the country, picked Memphis. He could go No. 1 in the June 2020 NBA draft, unless that happens for Atlanta native Anthony Edwards, who stayed home to play for Georgia.

And then there’s the team the Gophers will face Saturday in Sioux Falls, S.D. — Oklahoma. Two years ago, a fairy tale unfolded for the Sooners, even if it only lasted for one season.

Trae Young was a superstar in his hometown of Norman and a household name throughout the Sooner State before he ever took college basketball by storm with his record-breaking freshman season in 2017.

So, Young thought, why not be different with his college decision? Why not become a legend at a school a few miles from his house?

“I think anytime a basketball player gets an offer from a blue blood, the first thing you obviously want to do is jump on it,” said Young, a second-year Atlanta Hawks guard. “You think it gives you the best chance to get to the NBA and achieve your dreams. But for me, I wanted to go a different route, to a place where there was never [a player like him] before I went there.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ia-promotes-the-stay-at-home-trend/564586942/

Go Gophers!!

And exactly what did we win with Rickert and Humphries ! It will be about building a team. Those guys were extremely highly rated.

I still don't get why these guys don't want to team up and do something big together and put the local University back on the map.

come on Dawson!!! lets make this work! adding you to the mix next year takes this team to the next level!!!!

And exactly what did we win with Rickert and Humphries ! It will be about building a team. Those guys were extremely highly rated.

Rickert made a mediocre team competitive, bad coaching and control were the culprits, there were times Rickert never touched the ball and it almost looked intentional, put him on this years team with decent coaching and they would compete for the B1G title

Dawson did an interview on Instagram last night with Tipton Edits. No idea what that actually is, but again he was very careful not to tip his hand on if he's favoring any school. He was very complimentary of all the programs recruiting him, including Minnesota. He said he's very close with the entire coaching staff and has been to campus multiple times, which we all know.

The only new nugget of info, which Marcus has, is that he's decided by Nov. 20, the early signing date. He's also visiting Marquette this weekend. It should be an eventful final 2 weeks.

Marcus is putting on the full-court press to try to convince Garcia to stay in Minnesota. I like Marcus and the work he does, but sometimes his articles seem more like PR/communication pieces plugging the U than they do un-biased sports-page news story. That's quite different from what we usually get here, certainly with regard to some of the local columnists!

Last edited:

Marcus just tweeted that Pitino and staff will be meeting with Dawson tonight...

Go Gophers!!

He must have forgotten about the late great Wayman Tisdale.

LOCK IT UP!

That is terrific news. It means we are still in the game! Pitino also has other players he has to continue to pursue if Garcia is a no, so it is also good from a standpoint of understanding how to move forward. I like that we were able to have a game that shows how Pitino has modified the offense in the absence of Coffey and Murphy to adjust to the new personnel. It shows he can also work the offense to augment Garcia's skills. Obviously, Garcia would fit in wonderfully with what we currently have. Add him and Mashburn to our guys next year and boom! :)

Top Bottom