All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Final sales pitch tonight, I guess. Stay at home, build something special. Top level facilities, chance at a lot of playing time in a P6 conf (including Big East as power). Friends and family can see you many times.

Only thing I don't like, in the sense of at least having as fair a chance as Indiana and Marquette, is that that last major thing he'll do is take an official to Marquette. They'll pull out every stop they have to pull.

And the last school to make an impression, I feel like gets extra weight in the recruit's mind.

But Dawson obviously has gone about the process in as fair and objective way as possible.

Only thing I don't like, in the sense of at least having as fair a chance as Indiana and Marquette, is that that last major thing he'll do is take an official to Marquette. They'll pull out every stop they have to pull.

And the last school to make an impression, I feel like gets extra weight in the recruit's mind.

But Dawson obviously has gone about the process in as fair and objective way as possible.

True. But if Pitino and staff can make a late push tonight and sway Garcia's mind (if he is truly favoring Marquette or Indiana)……there's no reason to think Dawson couldn't make another unofficial visit here.

Gophers have officially been eliminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so two weeks ago madtown comes on here with his super secret sources and says gophers have been eliminated. now we find out we have a visit with garcia this week. why would garcia waste his time with us if we've officially been eliminated? makes no sense, unless madtown's sources are wrong.

so two weeks ago madtown comes on here with his super secret sources and says gophers have been eliminated. now we find out we have a visit with garcia this week. why would garcia waste his time with us if we've officially been eliminated? makes no sense, unless madtown's sources are wrong.

Its the same as those saying he will "be Golden". Gives you a 67% chance of being right.

For what it's worth- Ryan James is sticking to his guns here. He posted about 20 minutes ago that "it's Marquette or Indiana".

Hopefully he's wrong, but James certainly feels confident in his claims.

Like I said -- it's the perfect thing for him to say.

- if he happens to be right, then people who pay for the early access feel vindicated and feel like they got in early on the goods
- if he happens to be wrong, no one will give a crap, because they'll be so happy Dawson came here. And he can always give himself a lazy out by saying something like "teens are fickle and change their minds on a whim, glad he changed his mind at the last second on this one!"

Fact of it is: he doesn't have a clue on this one. There is no such thing as "official info". He's posting his opinion, as if it were fact. His opinion is based on his gut feel, and other people he's talked to who claim they know what's going on, claim they know the family, claim they know what Dawson is thinking. Hearsay, as it's called.

This just reaffirms that I, personally, will never pay money to have "early access" to someone's opinions.

Last edited:

True. But if Pitino and staff can make a late push tonight and sway Garcia's mind (if he is truly favoring Marquette or Indiana)……there's no reason to think Dawson couldn't make another unofficial visit here.

Good point! He can always visit the U one last time.

- if he happens to be right, then people who pay for the early access feel vindicated and feel like they got in early on the goods
- if he happens to be wrong, no one will give a crap, because they'll be so happy Dawson came here. And he can always give himself a lazy out by saying something like "teens are fickle and change their minds on a whim, glad he changed his mind at the last second on this one!"

Fact of it is: he doesn't have a clue on this one. There is no such thing as "official info". He's posting his opinion, as if it were fact. His opinion is based on his gut feel, and other people he's talked to who claim they know what's going on, claim they know the family, claim they know what Dawson is thinking. Hearsay, as it's called.

This just reaffirms that I, personally, will never pay money to have "early access" to someone's opinions.

RJ's "opinion" comes directly from the info given from Dawson's AAU coaches. They are telling him it's Marquette or Indiana. Doesn't mean it's true, but he's not just guessing, he's getting info from sources who are directly associated with Dawson.

Now Dawson taking this meeting with the gophers. It means he's either having them in to personally tell them they are out or he's giving them a chance. Either way he's not just ignoring or ghosting the staff.

I feel like there is a troupe of posters here who thrive on being the first to deliver bad news for some reason. Reminds me of the Korzo thread from last spring about how Coffey hates Pitino and that's why he'll never return.

More importantly, why would Pitino waste his time if there was no chance?

RJ's "opinion" comes directly from the info given from Dawson's AAU coaches. They are telling him it's Marquette or Indiana. Doesn't mean it's true, but he's not just guessing, he's getting info from sources who are directly associated with Dawson.

Now Dawson taking this meeting with the gophers. It means he's either having them in to personally tell them they are out or he's giving them a chance. Either way he's not just ignoring or ghosting the staff.

Thank you for the fair take on my take.

I did not intend to imply that his opinion was a wild guess or only a gut feel. I had every inclination that it was based on talking to people, and those people think they have some kind of idea what Dawson is thinking. That's about all you could really do, if Dawson himself is playing it close to the vest.

More importantly, why would Pitino waste his time if there was no chance?

well I don't agree with this bit.....Dawson takes this team up with the big dogs of the big ten for next year....so if im the coach, and deep down I know I have no shot, im still doing everything possible to get a chance to do 1 last hard sell

The bolded parts are extremely ironic.

Thank you for the fair take on my take.

I did not intend to imply that his opinion was a wild guess or only a gut feel. I had every inclination that it was based on talking to people, and those people think they have some kind of idea what Dawson is thinking. That's about all you could really do, if Dawson himself is playing it close to the vest.

You are spot on that RJ makes money off this stuff and he's paid to give some information. I have no doubt he's being told that, but I've stated numerous times that D1 AAU doesn't like sending kids to the U. I've never heard concrete evidence why, but most of the stuff I've always heard is they were mad when Richard first got the job and paid more attention to Pulley kids. Hopefully Richard and Lindsted continue to sell Dawson. They've made tons of headway over the last year.

I've stated numerous times that D1 AAU doesn't like sending kids to the U. I've never heard concrete evidence why, but most of the stuff I've always heard is they were mad when Richard first got the job and paid more attention to Pulley kids. Hopefully Richard and Lindsted continue to sell Dawson. They've made tons of headway over the last year.

I don't understand this. Why would this be true? Really, they are mad at him? An AAU program in Minnesota would benefit greatly from a Big Ten school in their backyard that is successful. Hard to believe this really.

Not saying you are wrong, but if that is true, it's seems kind of silly.

I don't understand this. Why would this be true? Really, they are mad at him? An AAU program in Minnesota would benefit greatly from a Big Ten school in their backyard that is successful. Hard to believe this really.

Probably either not true, or an oversimplification of what the actual issue is.

I agree it's very silly. AAU programs aren't always clean and competent either. I just know that Pulley has been good to MN since Pitino came and D1 has not.

Marcus is putting on the full-court press to try to convince Garcia to stay in Minnesota. I like Marcus and the work he does, but sometimes his articles seem more like PR/communication pieces plugging the U than they do un-biased sports-page news story. That's quite different from what we usually get here, certainly with regard to some of the local columnists!

I had a similar reaction when I read the article. But, I'm really not put off by it. I understand the role of a reporter vs op-ed. In the age of twitter and with Marcus' podcast participation, etc., though, I think he plays both roles to some degree. I prefer this style immensely vs what we got (and still get) from Myron. That thought of the different approaches is what most struck me. It felt like Myron would go out of his way to paint the program negatively (vs just "reporting"). And I'm OK admitting that might have to do with me wearing maroon-tinted glasses. ;)

I had a similar reaction when I read the article. But, I'm really not put off by it. I understand the role of a reporter vs op-ed. In the age of twitter and with Marcus' podcast participation, etc., though, I think he plays both roles to some degree. I prefer this style immensely vs what we got (and still get) from Myron. That thought of the different approaches is what most struck me. It felt like Myron would go out of his way to paint the program negatively (vs just "reporting"). And I'm OK admitting that might have to do with me wearing maroon-tinted glasses. ;)

I'm with you on Myron. He's always been petty with regards to the Gophers. Didn't think he was any good when he covered the Gophers, and still feel the same way (even more so) now that he's with ESPN. Still can't believe he landed a job there, but more power to him, I guess.

I do like Marcus. I'd rank him second behind Jeff Shelman in terms of those who've served as the beat reporter for the Gophers in recent times. He seems to enjoy his job, not bitter at life, which is how Myron far too often comes across.

Last edited:

Myron is a moron. Couldn't stand him when he was here.

I like Marcus for the most part. Seems positive about the program which is step 1. He doesn't need to lie and tell us how great everything is. But he doesn't need to disparage the program either. Be neutral, report it how he sees it.

This is the first piece that felt that way really. And it was simply pointing out how it worked out for Oklahoma etc. One piece doesn't make a trend. If he start sugar coating bad losses etc. that would be bad. And yes, he's miles better than Myron P Metcalf.

For the record, i will repeat that i have zero insight on Garcia but i like that no one wowed him enough to get him early which leaves the hometown in the best position. Tracking the data shows recruits that fall in love on a out of state visit often do it quite early. As for Myron, had a wager with him when he stated that UVA would never win the title under Bennett. That proved foolish in short order. Plus he is a poor writer with little insight o the sport. That is plain lazy.

For the record, i will repeat that i have zero insight on Garcia but i like that no one wowed him enough to get him early which leaves the hometown in the best position. Tracking the data shows recruits that fall in love on a out of state visit often do it quite early. As for Myron, had a wager with him when he stated that UVA would never win the title under Bennett. That proved foolish in short order. Plus he is a poor writer with little insight o the sport. That is plain lazy.

Did Myron ever pay up?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are spot on that RJ makes money off this stuff and he's paid to give some information. I have no doubt he's being told that, but I've stated numerous times that D1 AAU doesn't like sending kids to the U. I've never heard concrete evidence why, but most of the stuff I've always heard is they were mad when Richard first got the job and paid more attention to Pulley kids. Hopefully Richard and Lindsted continue to sell Dawson. They've made tons of headway over the last year.
Alot of our issues with D1 stem from the McKinley Wright recruitment. Wright's handler is the head guy for their 17 U team. It comes down to Wright wanting to come here but also wanting to visit Dayton first. But as we all know Jelly committed while on his Dayton trip. The hurt feelings come from that they believe Pitino would accept the commitment and that he went behind their back and scheduled the IW visit after the fact. It's not fair as the U can never go on record on this and quite frankly Wright wasn't good enough to hold a spot for. But Wright was very well liked in hat program and I think had he came here we would have better luck recruiting that program. Washington was rated higher so I don't have a problem with the take, just didn't workout, but unfortunately we're gonna have to deal with this program in the foreseeable future as they're beating Pulley for the best in state players

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom