All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

There’s a chance Dawson could wait until Spring to sign now. RJ said he is really torn on his decision. Spring decision gives Pitino more time to gain ground on Marquette and IU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tie goes to the hometown and his family! Go Gophers! :)

There’s a chance Dawson could wait until Spring to sign now. RJ said he is really torn on his decision. Spring decision gives Pitino more time to gain ground on Marquette and IU.

If this is true, it sure wouldn't hurt if Gophers have a good (read: NCAA) season.

Disagree. Head high school coach in the western suburbs thinks it is Minnesota. This thread is the best of what fans hear.

Seriously, dude. I'm not some troll. My sources are Dawson's close friends and family friends. My step-daughter is in his high school class, and their circles overlap quite a bit...she's in a position to hear the everyday, un-spun chatter. I also spent Sunday night with a family friend who's in close and regular touch with the Garcias because of their respective involvement in PL basketball.

"The best of what fans hear?" Maybe you have good sources too, and that's fine. But I'm telling everyone here what I'm hearing, and I went out on a limb to do it. My sources are close and unimpeachable. So I don't appreciate the snark.

I/we could be wrong, absolutely. I hope I am...I'd love to see him in maroon and gold. But if you saw the looks I get when the subject comes up, and you could hear the laughter when I ask the questions...it's not encouraging.

Seriously, dude. I'm not some troll. My sources are Dawson's close friends and family friends. My step-daughter is in his high school class, and their circles overlap quite a bit...she's in a position to hear the everyday, un-spun chatter. I also spent Sunday night with a family friend who's in close and regular touch with the Garcias because of their respective involvement in PL basketball.

"The best of what fans hear?" Maybe you have good sources too, and that's fine. But I'm telling everyone here what I'm hearing, and I went out on a limb to do it. My sources are close and unimpeachable. So I don't appreciate the snark.

I/we could be wrong, absolutely. I hope I am...I'd love to see him in maroon and gold. But if you saw the looks I get when the subject comes up, and you could hear the laughter when I ask the questions...it's not encouraging.

I have no idea where Dawson Garcia is going, but this post seems a tiny bit out of touch to me. I went to HS with several highly recruited athletes and there was never some uniform consensus around the friend group of where they were going to play. We were HS kids, we spent time playing MarioKart and going to the mall. We didn't bother each other with things like "when are you announcing?" or things like that. In my experience, this is just not how these things work. The school, in general, didn't know where these athletes were going to go to college. Friends didn't even really know. It almost always came down to family and maybe a couple coaches.

I have no idea where he is going and you may be 100% right that he won't play for the Gophers, but the bold part is meaningless to me. Unless Garcia feels a compulsion to broadcast every single passing thought that he has (unlikely), those people have no idea what they're talking about. Friends of prospects and students who go to the same school love to speculate and gossip just like everyone else and for some reason there is this perception among some people that if someone is "in the same circle" as the player and/or his friends, then they know what they're talking about, when in reality they're almost always speculating based on their own biases just like everyone else.

I have no idea where Dawson Garcia is going, but this post seems a tiny bit out of touch to me. I went to HS with several highly recruited athletes and there was never some uniform consensus around the friend group of where they were going to play. We were HS kids, we spent time playing MarioKart and going to the mall. We didn't bother each other with things like "when are you announcing?" or things like that. In my experience, this is just not how these things work. The school, in general, didn't know where these athletes were going to go to college. Friends didn't even really know. It almost always came down to family and maybe a couple coaches.

Agreed. I had friends who played D1 sports too. Hung out with one of them on a daily basis. I always knew who was recruiting him, but had no clue where he was going to go. I had a gut feeling, but ended up being wrong.

Not calling you a troll. I include myself in the group of fans sharing what they hear. Nothing more. Sometimes a high school coach is a great source, sometimes not. This is not like Carlson where i had a direct conversation.

Dawson doesn’t know where he wants to go, end of story. Or he’d have announced by now.

Therefore, your hearsay amounts to very little. Check post #776 for proof of why everything you’ve heard may not amount to a hill of beans.

Thanks for sharing. Can be some truth to all of it. The point with Dawson is plenty of people around him get different vibes. The gophers weren't really in it or a consideration until last spring honestly. If he knew where he wanted to go he'd commit. We will just see what happens when it's announced. No need to get defensive.

He has to take emotions out of it and just sit own and go through a pros vs cons of each situation. Waiting just lets someone else make the decision for you.

The comments of people laughing when the U is mentioned bother me and feed into that stigma of thinking that "if you are good, you don't go to the U'. I get that feeling that some of these local summer and high school teams foster that crazy idea. And that can create peer pressure for players not to go to the U. They feel special when they can go away. That will change as the U continues to get other good players and wins. Just as with football, some of those player will wish they had stayed home.

Seriously, dude. I'm not some troll. My sources are Dawson's close friends and family friends. My step-daughter is in his high school class, and their circles overlap quite a bit...she's in a position to hear the everyday, un-spun chatter.

Not to continue to pile on. Well.....maybe a little. But your sources are NOT Dawson's close friends. It sounds like it is second hand information from your step daughter who may have some contact with his social circle? That doesn't sound like solid information to work off.

Have you ever heard of the telephone game?

Hard for you to sound convincing when you flip flop IN YOUR POST.

“I/we could be wrong...” don’t put this on us. You’re the one saying you have quality information Dawson isn’t staying home. Pick a side and stick with it... Jesus

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps he wants to see if Pitino is still around in the spring.

My brothers friends kid is Dawson’s cousins best friend. They talk daily and trick or treated at Dawson’s parents house. Now, the story gets a little wild here. Kids were wearing basketball jerseys (NBA) and Dawson said “I like your jerseys”. Handed each kid three (3) fun size candies. Anyway, the weird part is that he was telling every single trick or treater what his college choice was.

Will the losses to OU, Butler, and maybe Utah on the 15th affect Dawson’s decision one way or another?

At this point, it kinda seems like our pitch might be “we badly need you, and you’d be starting 4 the moment you set foot in campus” ?

He's going to commit to all 3.

Make his signing day more dramatic.

I thought of it because of the excitement around the football team this season, while MBB seems to be trending the other way. Hopefully some last moment lackluster won’t matter.

Staying home, with all the inherent advantages that brings, also mostly gives the benefit of playing time right away.

I thought of it because of the excitement around the football team this season, while MBB seems to be trending the other way. Hopefully some last moment lackluster won’t matter.

Staying home, with all the inherent advantages that brings, also mostly gives the benefit of playing time right away.

Agree. On a plus minus ledger i can think of 4-5 great reasons to stay here. Playing time is one of them.

Will the losses to OU, Butler, and maybe Utah on the 15th affect Dawson’s decision one way or another?

At this point, it kinda seems like our pitch might be “we badly need you, and you’d be starting 4 the moment you set foot in campus” ?

I think Mashburn might offset that. Plus obviously the playing time opportunity. Also, the development of Oturu has to be encouraging to Garcia.

It could be a factor but it would be a very short sighted one. Ihnen is the player with the most potential to make a splash. And many other reasons that shouldn’t be in his equation.

Having said all that Marquette losing tonight would have made me feel better lol

I think Mashburn might offset that. Plus obviously the playing time opportunity. Also, the development of Oturu has to be encouraging to Garcia.

It could be a factor but it would be a very short sighted one. Ihnen is the player with the most potential to make a splash. And many other reasons that shouldn’t be in his equation.

Having said all that Marquette losing tonight would have made me feel better lol

Bossi picks Marquette.

Top Bottom