All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

...people you leave behind. If he chooses MN, Prior Lake games will be packed this winter. If he goes elsewhere, well....let's just say I live near Ben Carlson's back yard, and as far as I'm concerned he now lives in Eau Claire.

Love it. There is plenty of time to explore new places. The U will be plenty new enough for any local kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was his decision date rumored to be at the end of this month or will it go down to signing day?

If this plays out a few more weeks, we should have a pretty good idea of where we stand based on Pitino's involvement. If Pitino continues to go watch Dawson at early morning practice/have Dawson on campus/visit with his family, they we are probably still in it very much. If those things stop happening, Pitino probably has been told he is out of it.

Bummed if the rumors are true, but I don’t want to forget about the other two guys we brought in. A lot of talent and potential with those two.

If this plays out a few more weeks, we should have a pretty good idea of where we stand based on Pitino's involvement. If Pitino continues to go watch Dawson at early morning practice/have Dawson on campus/visit with his family, they we are probably still in it very much. If those things stop happening, Pitino probably has been told he is out of it.

If the rumor were true, I would assume that Pitino and staff would take one last shot at talking to him and then Garcia would make the call within days. Why wait if the decision is made...? On the other hand, maybe he gets home, has a chance to think about it more and changes his mind. On yet another hand, and I just ran out of hands here...maybe the rumor is only a rumor, he loved Indiana but the decision is still open. I would say this- off of the things Muscadin said, I would have thought we were his choice, but then we didn't make the final four.

That didn't stop Monson from recruiting Rickert.

I will never understand why people would feel the need to not post "paid" information. That is simply not how information works.

Once you know, you're free to share it with anyone you want. You pay for the early access or the actual content, not the underlying information. You should not go to a pay site and copy and paste the articles into here. If you come here and spread the underlying information, that's not only OK, it's how it's been done since the beginning of time. Could you imagine reading an article in the WSJ and then thinking that you wouldn't discuss it because you paid for the article? That's absurd.

These paid recruiting sites have tricked people into thinking they have paid to become insiders themselves. It's why there is this bizarre cloak and dagger feel to the dissemination of information. They make it feel like people who talk are outing the sacred rituals of the Illuminati.

The thought process is that if you spread the news to others for free, then very few people will subscribe to the paid site and that paid site financially will not make it and it goes out of business. If you want to keep the site up and running and get insight into whatever news service it is provided, then you shouldn't undermine their business model by removing an incentive for people to subscribe. It's not a "trick", it's the financial reality that's hitting publishers everywhere (including potentially Gopher Hole as they have very limited cash flowing in to support their operations).

...people you leave behind. If he chooses MN, Prior Lake games will be packed this winter. If he goes elsewhere, well....let's just say I live near Ben Carlson's back yard, and as far as I'm concerned he now lives in Eau Claire.

Same here. I live in Rochester and didn't go to any John Marshall games the last couple years when it was obvious gophs had no shot at Hurt. Certainly kids can choose their own path, but really hard for me to set aside my gopher allegiance.

I haven’t given up hope, I haven’t seen anything directly from Garcia that he has made his decision.
I think it would outstanding if he comes here, his skill set matches exactly what we need and he
would be an instant fan favorite. I don’t think negative comments from posters help the situation at
all.

What pay site did Garcia say this on?

There's no new news. He went to Indiana, didn't hardly post anything about the trip. Crystal balls haven't changed. From the outside it looks like it was a complete fizzle out of a visit, but who knows what actually is going on. I really doubt he'll go to Indiana, it's not even the best university in the state (Purdue and Notre Dame being better in pretty much every category). Marquette isn't a good fit for skills, and the U is a great fit. I see him coming here - no inside info, but it makes the most sense out of those three choices.

Who really knows what he is thinking? He may not. Garcia is a high school kid, and it’s likely the first big decision he has had to make. Just because he plays basketball doesn’t mean he’s not experiencing the same ups and downs as any kid looking at colleges. Some kids know they want to go away, and some love the idea of it, but really want to stay closer to home. Some want a big school until they visit one, and others want a small school until they visit one - others just know all along. Many, if not most, really aren’t sure what they want and it changes by the day until they either have to make a choice, or all of a sudden something feels right.

I’ve talked to all kinds of kids who are pretty set on one school on Monday, and within a few days or a week have changed their mind. Being a basketball player does not make him immune to the challenges and emotional roller coaster of making his first real big decision in his life.

I'm not sure why everyone is being so weirdly cryptic about this.

Ryan James posted this morning on GI that Dawson is going to decide soon, and that he is down to Marquette or Indiana. I pay for the premium subscription and I have zero compunction about posting that information on here.

Hopefully, James is wrong (obviously) but that is what is out there as of now.

Ryan James posted this morning on GI that Dawson is going to decide soon, and that he is down to Marquette or Indiana. I pay for the premium subscription and I have zero compunction about posting that information on here.

Thank you!

Zep is gonna vanish now.

Not sure why people are already saying this is over. Not what i am hearing. This one is not like Carlson where it was known it was going to be the offer that never came, UW or Stanford. Garcia has not played his hand to anyone. Coaches, a adviser, prospective teammates, much less a regional internet recruiting site.

Not sure why people are already saying this is over. Not what i am hearing. This one is not like Carlson where it was known it was going to be the offer that never came, UW or Stanford. Garcia has not played his hand to anyone. Coaches, a adviser, prospective teammates, much less a regional internet recruiting site.

+1000, Well said builtbadgers

Zep is gonna vanish now.

Actual lol

Looks like Garcia is taking his final official visit at Marquette Nov 8-10 according to his dad, reported by Peegs.com.

I hope you're right, but I'm not going to sweat it

I'm getting more and more worried by the day about the possibility of Garcia going to Indiana gents... I don't think Marquette is much of a threat since they're clearly a downgrade compared to staying home.

Indiana offers a rich history and more fanatic fan base than the U. While everyone on this board is certainly a die-hard Gopher fan the same can't be said for a lot of our more casual fans.

Checked Dawson's Instagram feed and it is absolutely FLOODED with comments from Hoosiers fans. Not that that is a great indication of DG's mindset but it'd be dumb to say it isn't a factor to some degree.

Anyways, here's to hoping we land him!

I will say guys I love the optimism but if ryan james is saying something like that, there’s a reason, and somebody he trusts told him that Dawson was gone. So I’d love to be surprised but that’s my guess.

I hope you're right, but I'm not going to sweat it

Best approach is to not sweat it. I have seen kids tell coaches they are coming only to have them change their minds the next day. I saw Killyea Jones verbal to UVA , change his mind and go to Kentucky and that opened it up for Hunter to pick UVA. That worked out better for UVA. Look at Gabe, he will make a whole bunch of coaches wish they had offered.

His final four is really strange to me considering he's a top 25 recruit. Memphis is there due to the new shiny penny. Marquette is a good basketball school, but the area around campus is dreadful. Indiana has been pretty average for many years (and had many high level players underachieve). Nice campus, obviously a basketball school....but..... I get kids picking Duke, but these schools? Nope.

His final four is really strange to me considering he's a top 25 recruit. Memphis is there due to the new shiny penny. Marquette is a good basketball school, but the area around campus is dreadful. Indiana has been pretty average for many years (and had many high level players underachieve). Nice campus, obviously a basketball school....but..... I get kids picking Duke, but these schools? Nope.

Have been thinking the same thing. Must have developed strong bond with Wojo at Marquette. Family history there?

Well UNC recruited above him and filled. Kansas may be in trouble. Duke, Kentucky, Villanova, UVA, UCLA never offered. No MSU, No Michigan. In some cases they think they got a better player for what they do, some thought they would not get him out of state. Many fans are acting like he is the missing link to winning titles. I love his game but he has a long ways to go to be a elite college basketball player.

Well UNC recruited above him and filled. Kansas may be in trouble. Duke, Kentucky, Villanova, UVA, UCLA never offered. No MSU, No Michigan. In some cases they think they got a better player for what they do, some thought they would not get him out of state. Many fans are acting like he is the missing link to winning titles. I love his game but he has a long ways to go to be a elite college basketball player.

That's part of my point. Why didn't some of these schools offer? Is he overrated? It doesn't seem so. So why no UK, MSU, etc....

Top Bottom