All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

What is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist? Is the player and his family not competent enough to handle his own recruitment?

What is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist? Is the player and his family not competent enough to handle his own recruitment?

Lol the NCAA can't dictate your personal life or who you take advice from.

Is it that much different than not allowing college bball players to have agents?

Yes. The difference (getting money) is crucial.

If the "handler" starts getting money, then it's essentially an agent.
If the "handler" does not get money, he/she is not an agent.

So again ... what is a "handler" and why does the NCAA allow them to exist?

Another question: is it essentially part of the requirements that when you sign your son up to be on these AAU clubs, that they have the exclusive "rights" to "handle" your son's recruitment?

Another question: is it essentially part of the requirements that when you sign your son up to be on these AAU clubs, that they have the exclusive "rights" to "handle" your son's recruitment?

Impossible to regulate on. Good for us Dawson doesn't have that. Strong positive parental influence at home.

Not true on the recruitment part. All kids are different. Some like to hav their HS coach lead it. Some want AAU, some have a handler, some do it all on their own.

Last edited:

A proxy who communicates with schools on a player's behalf, sets up visits, and gives the player advice would qualify as a handler. That in and of itself isn't something the NCAA could/should prevent from happening. Think what you want about someone doing that for a kid, but it's not against any rules and it's not the NCAA's job to dictate your life choices. The problem obviously is that handlers may not have your best interest in mind and might get you in trouble if they accept money to push you to a certain school. There is a shady vibe with handlers, but the mere existence of them isn't against any rules.

Thank you both for the straightforward answers.

Yes, my gut reaction is “what’s in it for them”?? That would be my reaction as a father, if some stranger approached me and offered to handle my son’s recruitment.

Anyway, let’s keep it in Dawson.

Yes, my gut reaction is “what’s in it for them”?? That would be my reaction as a father, if some stranger approached me and offered to handle my son’s recruitment.

My impression is that it often isn't a stranger--could be a relative who played back in the day, a coach, teacher or even a father could be considered a handler. Essentially the term just means an adult who is closely involved in the recruiting process and communicates directly with college coaches. I don't think there is an active market of strangers offering prospects recruitment advice: the relationship with the recruit is there first.

My impression is that it often isn't a stranger--could be a relative who played back in the day, a coach, teacher or even a father could be considered a handler. Essentially the term just means an adult who is closely involved in the recruiting process and communicates directly with college coaches. I don't think there is an active market of strangers offering prospects recruitment advice: the relationship with the recruit is there first.

Last on this because I’ve derailed too much. If this was always true, you wouldn’t hear about people who got in trouble. Maybe it happens more in football, or did, but I know I’ve heard of a guy in Texas that got programs in trouble for accepting money to “deliver” a recruit.

So, as you describe it, makes perfect sense. But I believe there is some nefariousness to it as well.

If there was then the gopherhole would be the place to find them.

Last on this because I’ve derailed too much. If this was always true, you wouldn’t hear about people who got in trouble. Maybe it happens more in football, or did, but I know I’ve heard of a guy in Texas that got programs in trouble for accepting money to “deliver” a recruit.

So, as you describe it, makes perfect sense. But I believe there is some nefariousness to it as well.

People take advantage of people they know all the time.

I’m going to start a new thread.

Mods, please feel free to move posts 721 - 732 to the new thread. Sorry for derailing.

Is it that much different than not allowing college bball players to have agents?

I think paid vs not paid is the issue. If the “handler” is paid to represent you, they are an agent. Otherwise, they are just Uncle Joe, Cousin Bob, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course.

So far I am winning on our Gopher finishing ahead of the Badgers bet this year... I assume that you will make be wait until the end of the season before I can claim victory.
Big.jpg

For what it's worth, my same AAU parent source who said Nathan Reuvers was going to Wisconsin says Dawson really likes Indiana.

Based on his official visit I guess MN isn't officially out, but I'd bet he goes to Bloomington. Bloomington is kind of a dump. And Indiana has sucked the last two years. I wouldn't want to play for Archie Miller either.

For what it's worth, my same AAU parent source who said Nathan Reuvers was going to Wisconsin says Dawson really likes Indiana.

Based on his official visit I guess MN isn't officially out, but I'd bet he goes to Bloomington. Bloomington is kind of a dump. And Indiana has sucked the last two years. I wouldn't want to play for Archie Miller either.

Who knows, but I still really doubt he'd go there. As others have stated, Indiana is the Nebraska of BIG basketball -- old glory that's fading fast. I'd rank them as the third-best team in their state, behind Purdue and Notre Dame. Hard to imagine he'd end up there when MN is such a better fit for his talents.

That would be such a bummer. And so strange.

It would be disappointing to lose him at this point because, unlike when we’re going up against Duke for local recruits, we actually have more to sell than just “Local legend! Hometown hero! Think about all the playing time you’ll get on our inferior team!” We have a coach who has achieved a higher level of success at his current program than either Miller or Wojo have achieved at their current jobs. Wojo has neverer won a tournament game and Miller has not gotten IU to the tournament yet. Both coaches have failed to make the tournament when they had a one-and-done first round NBA draft pick on their team. From my understanding, Marquette is supposed to stink this year without the Hausers and Wojo could possibly get fired afterward, and Indiana has a chance at the tournament but is far from a sure thing. I can’t really speak to the roster composition of either team next year, but we’ve already got a solid starting lineup, and the biggest hole is at Dawson’s position, and we have a top 100 and top 150 player committed already. The whole “we’ll love you forever because you’re from Minnesota” thing is just the cherry on top of that. Minnesota just seems like a more logical choice than the other options. I guess it’s possible he just really really wants to go away for college and see a different part of the country, as I guess I could see where it feels a little lame to “go away to college” less than hour from your parents’ house. Or maybe he has a great personal relationship with the other coaches, but I’d think Pitino being as young and witty as he is wouldn’t struggle too hard to relate to young basketball players. Or maybe he likes getting tweet-bombed by Indiana fans every time he breathes.

Coming to the U just seems to make a lot of logical sense to me. Marquette and Indiana are two programs it wouldn’t be shocking for us to win a recruiting battle against.

That said, it is just one recruit, and getting him isn’t a guarantee of unprecedented on-court success in the future, and losing him doesn’t mean we can’t get another good player in the spring.

It would be disappointing to lose him at this point because, unlike when we’re going up against Duke for local recruits, we actually have more to sell than just “Local legend! Hometown hero! Think about all the playing time you’ll get on our inferior team!” We have a coach who has achieved a higher level of success at his current program than either Miller or Wojo have achieved at their current jobs. Wojo has neverer won a tournament game and Miller has not gotten IU to the tournament yet. Both coaches have failed to make the tournament when they had a one-and-done first round NBA draft pick on their team. From my understanding, Marquette is supposed to stink this year without the Hausers and Wojo could possibly get fired afterward, and Indiana has a chance at the tournament but is far from a sure thing. I can’t really speak to the roster composition of either team next year, but we’ve already got a solid starting lineup, and the biggest hole is at Dawson’s position, and we have a top 100 and top 150 player committed already. The whole “we’ll love you forever because you’re from Minnesota” thing is just the cherry on top of that. Minnesota just seems like a more logical choice than the other options. I guess it’s possible he just really really wants to go away for college and see a different part of the country, as I guess I could see where it feels a little lame to “go away to college” less than hour from your parents’ house. Or maybe he has a great personal relationship with the other coaches, but I’d think Pitino being as young and witty as he is wouldn’t struggle too hard to relate to young basketball players. Or maybe he likes getting tweet-bombed by Indiana fans every time he breathes.

Coming to the U just seems to make a lot of logical sense to me. Marquette and Indiana are two programs it wouldn’t be shocking for us to win a recruiting battle against.

That said, it is just one recruit, and getting him isn’t a guarantee of unprecedented on-court success in the future, and losing him doesn’t mean we can’t get another good player in the spring.

Still think he is coming here but he could think Archie Miller is a better coach. Most basketball people do think that. The guy went to the elite 8 as a 34 year old ! has won conference titles and is now stocking his roster with his guys. It is a far more prestigious program. The rabid fan base appeals to some as the biggest game in town. Kids make choices for all sorts of reasons. Some stay home period and this gas always felt that way to me. I agree with you that if he does not come here it does not mean we can not win without him.

Last edited:

To choose Indiana over Minnesota where he would be just a digit at IU and a hometown legend at the U is beyond me and having been there 3 times, Bloomington, IN is an absolutely ****hole compared to other Big 10 campuses. I suspect the Head Coach scenario is what’s at play and that wouldn’t speak well for Pitino unless Garcia is destined to go out state. Losing him to another Big 10 school would be a double kick to the Johnson and not to sound provincial but IU has been a turd of a program for quite some time now.

To choose Indiana over Minnesota where he would be just a digit at IU and a hometown legend at the U is beyond me and having been there 3 times, Bloomington, IN is an absolutely ****hole compared to other Big 10 campuses. I suspect the Head Coach scenario is what’s at play and that wouldn’t speak well for Pitino unless Garcia is destined to go out state. Losing him to another Big 10 school would be a double kick to the Johnson and not to sound provincial but IU has been a turd of a program for quite some time now.

Never clear on that hometown legend thing . There have been plenty of really good home state kids that played here and i would not call them legends.

Just since Pitino got this job, Indiana has won the Big 10 twice and been to 3 sweet sixteens. That is down at IU but statues here.

Still think he is coming here but he could think Archie Miller is a better coach. Most basketball people do think that. The guy went to the final 4 as a 34 year old ! has won conference titles and is now stocking his roster with his guys. It is a far more prestigious program. The rabid fan base appeals to some as the biggest game in town. Kids make choices for all sorts of reasons. Some stay home period and this gas always felt that way to me. I agree with you that if he does not come here it does not mean we can not win without him.
When did Archie go to the Final Four?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just since Pitino got this job, Indiana has won the Big 10 twice and been to 3 sweet sixteens. That is down at IU but statues here.
Pitino took over in 13-14. IU won the big ten in 2016 and went to the sweet 16. Like us they have two tourney appearances and one NIT in the same time span. Though they did decline the NIT in 2014. IU did go to the Sweet 16 twice and win the league in Tubby's last two years.

Never clear on that hometown legend thing . There have been plenty of really good home state kids that played here and i would not call them legends.

Yeah but the big sell on him being a hometown legend is because he's SPECIAL. That's why he's a 5* recruit and ranked top 25 in the nation.

I'm sure plenty gopher fans remember Blake Hoffarber and DG could be a hell of a lot better than him...

Yeah but the big sell on him being a hometown legend is because he's SPECIAL. That's why he's a 5* recruit and ranked top 25 in the nation.

I'm sure plenty gopher fans remember Blake Hoffarber and DG could be a hell of a lot better than him...

Who evaluated him top 25 ? Love his game so far, think he will choose Minnesota but there is a tremendous work load ahead of him. We track these so called internet 5 stars and way less than 20 % ever become all conference. And i suppose legend has a different standard for everyone. What even comes with it ? Most of the guys i know do not even want the attention. The joys is in the competition, the reward often winning. Most have a certain humility . Getting a national title and or your jersey retired is a nice standard. Players in those situations are appreciative of the support of fans but the true bond is the memories of your teammates and coaches, what it meant to your families. Personally i think fans having some sort of idolization is strange. Suppose it was how i was raised. My hope for Garcia is that he goes to Minnesota, wins conference titles, wins a national title, scores 1500 career points, conducts himself in a dignified way. I f goes elsewhere i will hop he does great things there.

Pitino took over in 13-14. IU won the big ten in 2016 and went to the sweet 16. Like us they have two tourney appearances and one NIT in the same time span. Though they did decline the NIT in 2014. IU did go to the Sweet 16 twice and win the league in Tubby's last two years.

Your right on the conference title number and the sweet 16 total. They are 55-55 since Pitino got here, we are 40-70. They have better recent success over this decade and a ton more historical. Archie is just hetting started there. If he went 40-70 at IU he would be fired. Time will tell on Archie but i happen to think he is a really wonderful coach that will win big at IU.

He did a nice job at Dayton, that’s for sure. Dayton should be in the Big East, IMO.

Top Bottom