Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 160
  1. #1

    Default All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

    https://247sports.com/Player/Dawson-Garcia-46050093

    Q&A: Class of 2020 Big Man Dawson Garcia on Gophers: "They are really recruiting me hard right now."
    By Chris Monter

    http://www.gopherhole.com/news_artic...9?referrer_id=

    Dawson Garcia, a 6-foot-10, 200-pound sophomore forward from Prior Lake (MN) High, is one of the stateís top players in the Class of 2020.

    Garcia helped lead the Lakers to a 14-11 record last season, losing to Edina 75-69 in the first round of the Class AAAA Section 2 playoffs.

    Garcia averaged 8.8 points per game as a freshman, scoring in double figures in nine of 22 games. He had a career-high 17 points versus Eastview.

    Gopher Hole caught up with Garcia recently to learn more about his recruitment.

    Gopher Hole: You had a very good AAU season. Were you proud of the fact that got to showcase your abilities with D1 Minnesota?

    Dawson Garcia: I felt that I was able to showcase my ability to get to the basket more. My athleticism. Also, we have got a lot of talent on that team, so I am able to share the ball and not just be a scorer as I am in the high school season and my defense really stepped up and my jump shot. I started hitting a lot of jump shots towards the end of the season.

    Gopher Hole: I know that you had a lot of coaches come up to your open gyms. What coaches have you seen?

    Dawson Garcia: I know Wisconsin, Iowa State, Minnesota, Creighton, South Dakota, Butler, Stanford and Iowa.

    Gopher Hole: How does that make you feel? You are only a sophomore, so that has make to make you feel pretty proud?

    Dawson Garcia: Yes, it does. I am just going to keep working hard because I have got people to chase and spots to fill, so that is what I am going for.

    Gopher Hole: You also have had a chance to go to some college campuses this fall. Where all have you been?

    Dawson Garcia: I have taken three visits. I have gone to Iowa State. I loved that campus. It is a very nice facility. I went to a Minnesota game last season. I was there for a scrimmage this year. I love the way that they get up and down and play and I went to a Wisconsin football game. It was a really cool atmosphere. Everyone starts jumping and stuff. It is just a great atmosphere to be around.

    Gopher Hole: No offers yet, but what schools are you hearing from the most?

    Dawson Garcia: I would say Minnesota. They are really recruiting me hard right now. I would say that they are the frontrunner right now.

    Gopher Hole: I know that Minnesota has made a commitment to keep a lot of the best kids in-state players here like Daniel (Oturu). Jarvis (Johnson) and Gabe (Kalscheur). What would it mean to have the chance to play for the homestate team?

    Dawson Garcia: It would mean a lot to help go and the program is heading in a great direction right now as they have struggled in the past years, but they are really picking it up lately.

    Gopher Hole: Do you watch a lot of college basketball?

    Dawson Garcia: Yes.

    Gopher Hole: Are there certain players or positions that you watch. Do you watch players that are similar to you?

    Dawson Garcia: I kind of watch all the positions and take bits and pieces from their games and try to add it to my game.

    Gopher Hole: Any favorite players?

    Dawson Garcia: I love watching Gary Trent play.

    Gopher Hole: What would it mean to get that first Division I offer?

    Dawson Garcia: It would mean a lot, but I would have to give all the thanks to up above and just stay humble.

    Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play Division I basketball?

    Dawson Garcia: It would mean a lot to me because I would want to extend that. If I play Division I basketball, I want to try to make it to play pro ball some day.

    Gopher Hole: Prior Lake is an up-and-coming program. You guys improved a lot last year and are expected to be even better this season. You have another big man on the roster in Robert Jones, who has Division I offers. Is that kind of nice to have another guy who allows you to avoid some of the double and triple teams?

    Dawson Garcia: When I was younger, growing up, I was always the big man, so I always had to do that stuff, but when I am playing with Robert, it is like super nice because if I am going up for a rebound and there are like three guys, he will just come in and swoop the ball. It is kind of nice to have another big dude like that.

    Gopher Hole: Is it nice that it also allows you to play a little more away from the basket and develop a little bit more of an all-around game?

    Dawson Garcia: I started when I was younger, my parents didnít know how tall I was. They started me with dribbling and a lot of shooting, because my parents arenít very tall. My mom is like 5-11, but I sprouted up and my game just kind of evolved together.

    Gopher Hole: You are 6-10. Have you talked to doctors about how much more you might potential grow?

    Dawson Garcia: When I was about 6-8, they said that I have a fair amount of growing to do because they checked my hand that was injured and they said that my growth plates are still pretty far apart. You never know.

    Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for you guys this year? You are in a tough conference as the South Suburban is one of the best in the state with Apple Valley, Lakeville and a lot of other good teams.

    Dawson Garcia: Obviously, we want to be up top and compete with Apple Valley. We played North and beat them by twenty last week, but we are coming for Valley, because they are the frontrunner in the conference and everyone knows it.

    Gopher Hole: Any plans to go to any college games in the future?

    Dawson Garcia: I think that I am going to go an Iowa game soon and I am going to go to a Minnesota game. I think those are the two next ones.


  2. #2

    Default




    Go Gophers!!

  3. #3

    Default




    Go Gophers!!

  4. #4

    Default

    Psssttt... 247 link.

  5. #5

    Default

    I question the 6'10" part but he has a good handle, size, strength and quickness. He can score inside and out. He would be a good get for Minnesota.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abrams View Post
    I question the 6'10" part but he has a good handle, size, strength and quickness. He can score inside and out. He would be a good get for Minnesota.
    Way to soon for my taste.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Way to soon for my taste.
    You have way more scouting expertise than anyone on this board, but I disagree on that.

    I live in PL and have seen him in person many times and am impressed especially since he is just a sophomore. He will end up with multiple P5 offers and be similar to Reuvers in terms of prestige and ranking. Could be wrong, but I get a good feeling about this kid.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    I think Reuvers is taller than him. I think Dawson is strong already than Reuvers. I've Dawson play several times, he will be a good player at a P5 school I think.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimey Grimes View Post
    You have way more scouting expertise than anyone on this board, but I disagree on that.

    I live in PL and have seen him in person many times and am impressed especially since he is just a sophomore. He will end up with multiple P5 offers and be similar to Reuvers in terms of prestige and ranking. Could be wrong, but I get a good feeling about this kid.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have been wrong too many times to count. It is not a exact science as you know.For the record, i will be cheering for the kid to become great. Reuvers would be a huge ask as he has shown plaenty for a kid that should have redshirted.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    776

    Default

    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed Garcia develops into the guy I hope he can be. Sounds like he has a great relationship with Pitino already.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I have been wrong too many times to count. It is not a exact science as you know.For the record, i will be cheering for the kid to become great. Reuvers would be a huge ask as he has shown plaenty for a kid that should have redshirted.
    Definitely should have redshirted, in an ideal setting. If anyone ever shows him where the weight room is at, he'll be very tough to handle. I know people who went to school with him and they are far from impressed with his arrogance. Top that with playing at wisc, I can only hope his career ends up like Illikaenen's (sp???). Reuvers blew up later in his HS career. No reason to think Garcia can't do that.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BballJones View Post
    Definitely should have redshirted, in an ideal setting. If anyone ever shows him where the weight room is at, he'll be very tough to handle. I know people who went to school with him and they are far from impressed with his arrogance. Top that with playing at wisc, I can only hope his career ends up like Illikaenen's (sp???). Reuvers blew up later in his HS career. No reason to think Garcia can't do that.
    I don't know that I would say he blew up later in his HS career, he was always a good shooter and moved pretty well for a big man, what he didn't have was muscle and bulk, I don't think it was to hard to envision him being a pretty decent college player by early in his junior year in HS.

  13. #13

    Default

    Decent sure. Top 100 though?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BballJones View Post
    Decent sure. Top 100 though?
    I know college coaches put a big emphasis on physical talents but comparing Reuvers to Sims, Reuvers was miles ahead of Sims in basketball skills, I think it depends on what you value, top 100 for sure.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jovs View Post
    I know college coaches put a big emphasis on physical talents but comparing Reuvers to Sims, Reuvers was miles ahead of Sims in basketball skills, I think it depends on what you value, top 100 for sure.
    Understood. It's not about his basketball skills, sadly I think Reuvers will be very good. My point is that I don't believe he was top 100 as a sophomore and jumped up the charts later. And I'm not sure why Garcia can't make those strides.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •