Pioneer Press: New Gophers QB Vic Viramontes bringing fire, tats and lots of hair

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

After committing to Michigan, redshirting at Cal and then transferring to Riverside, how much drive do you have to prove you can play at this level?

Just going through all of that and then going back to being a juco guy and not being on scholarship and not getting the things that a Division I player would get, it gave me the drive to get back out and earn that scholarship again.

Walk me through your initial recruiting process and what happened with Michigan?

I’m blessed to have gotten offers out of high school. I have Pac-12 schools, Big Ten. I had quite a bit, so I’m honored to do that.

I committed to Michigan. I thought that was the right fit with coach (Jim) Harbaugh. The energy, I loved everything about the program, but Cal offered me and that was the last trip I took. With my family, we decided that was the best opportunity at that time.

Did Michigan want you to play quarterback? Was a possible position switch a part of your decision?

No, they wanted me to play quarterback, coach Harbaugh said. It’s just that I thought I had a better opportunity at Cal. (That’s what) me and my family thought. Jared Goff was leaving (and is now with Los Angeles Rams), so we thought that was better opportunity. Michigan is a very high academic school as well, but Cal is also a good academic school. … It seemed like a win-win with whatever decision I made at the time

What impressed you during your visit to the Gophers?

I live like 45 minutes from L.A., so the city is similar. Not as crowded as L.A. … Being around the facilities (the new indoor practice facility at the Larson Football Performance Center). It was not even fully done yet, and it was just jaw-dropping, so I liked that.

Tell me about your tattoos.

I have half a sleeve (a lion head on his left arm) and a cross on my back. Being a kid, always growing up watching the animal channel, I like how lions are so close to their pack and how they hunt in a pack. I like that mentality that they bring. It sticks out to me.

The cross must signify your religious beliefs.

Yeah, that is the thing that I liked about coach Fleck as well. ‘Row the Boat’ is a very spiritual thing, the way he explained it.

Are we going to see your long hair flowing out of the helmet next fall?

Yes, sir. (Laughs.) That’s the plan.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/0...ramontes-bringing-fire-tats-and-lots-of-hair/

Go Gophers!!

Gopher Pride

Can't wait to see those leonine laser guided 75 yard passes...

per Greder:

I like how lions are so close to their pack and how they hunt in a pack. I like that mentality that they bring. It sticks out to me.

Go Gophers!!

I'm going to embrace this "long-haired, confident / arrogant, California QB" thing. I'm not normally a fan of it, but considering our QB play, I'm going to see what happens.

I like what I see....toughness, attitude, mobility, really god speed, strong arm. Really looks like he can fling it... long, and a lot of zip when needed. If Crofts passing lacked anything, it was zip... took too long for the ball to arrive allowing the defenders a lot of time to make a play.

At the very least we have a starting candidate with game experience..... and yes, I am aware it is JUCO experience

As my dad used to say "Look at the head on that one"

Really hope this is his last stop. I don’t know his situation intimately, but would really rather not be dealing with rumors of him transferring a year from now because he changed his mind again.

That being said, can’t wait to see him in pads. He’ll have all the opportunity in the world here if he can capitalize on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like what I see....toughness, attitude, mobility, really god speed, strong arm. Really looks like he can fling it... long, and a lot of zip when needed. If Crofts passing lacked anything, it was zip... took too long for the ball to arrive allowing the defenders a lot of time to make a play.

At the very least we have a starting candidate with game experience..... and yes, I am aware it is JUCO experience

You think our receivers can catch Favre-balls? Nah-ah. They couldn’t catch balls hitting them in the chest, the head, or square in the hands.

You think our receivers can catch Favre-balls? Nah-ah. They couldn’t catch balls hitting them in the chest, the head, or square in the hands.

That is certainly an issue we need to overcome. In watching Villamonte's HUDL highlights, there were a good number of outstanding catches made by his receivers....

Maybe they’ll be forced to catch them in self-defense. I always found that passes with a lot of zip on them were easier to catch. Maybe I’m an anomaly though.

We have good receivers coming in. We’ll be fine.

We have good receivers coming in. We’ll be fine.

I am optimistic but I have heard that one before.

Maybe they’ll be forced to catch them in self-defense. I always found that passes with a lot of zip on them were easier to catch. Maybe I’m an anomaly though.

Some have it, some don’t.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/wi9f2DhVVF2ta" width="480" height="352" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/wi9f2DhVVF2ta">via GIPHY</a></p>

Top Bottom